kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car to get may be the grand sport.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Just as impressive as 505hp 7 years ago...

We're not Chevy guys, and that's what it ultimately comes down to.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:42 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
The car to get may be the grand sport.
+1

There has to be something between 460HP and 620HP and that'll probably be the greatest value. Quicker/Faster than a Z51 but less expensive than a Z06.

Man, GM is really hitting it out of the park with the C7 platform.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll drive one and if it's badass I'll buy one.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Max----I am a Vette guy from way back, and have no idea what a Z01 is. Care to enlighten us? Also you are not a 'Porsche Guy" yet you say you have never been passed by a REGULAR corvette in two years. I in short cannot follow a word you are saying. You also make many insinuations without apparently anything real to back it up. Hearsay means nothing. In any form, a practically stock 3700 plus pound M3 with 414 HP is never going to beat a 3400 pound C6 properly equipped with 436 HP and much more torque. You must be up against very green drivers. And I love M3's. M3's are also well known for dropping off quite severely with extended laps due to their weight and brake glazing. My 2c. Not believing it.
Meant ZR1, typo - you got me, busted. Let me explain what I'm saying. Not a porsche guy because the only porsche I ever had is my wife's grocery getter that I have no passion about. Here my point was that I am not brand-biased.

Regarding track performance - there is no doubt in my mind that even a base C7 should be faster than M3, and yes my M3 would not last a full session most of the time, and even with upgraded brakes I had to do cool-down laps every 10-15 minutes, but that's also not relevant. That was not my point - sorry if that was not clear. My point is that, from what I saw, it takes a REALLY good driver to get 100% of that performance out of a corvette, and most of us are not there. I talk to almost everyone running well at every track day I attend, so it's a pretty big sample.

Not to use hypotheticals, let's look at Mosport, C6 vs. M3 (that's where I have the data) - most C6s (not Z06) I see there run high 1:39 to 1:41 on street tires. There is a very small portion that run 1:35s on street tires or even sub-1:33 on R-comps. M3s - most run under 1:40, with some running 1:34 or r-comps or 1:36s on street tires. So yes, the best drivers in corvettes are faster than the best drivers in M3, but the bulk of advanced drivers & instructors at typical DE events are same or slower in Corvettes, which came as a surprise to me. So I asked some corvette drivers on a number of occasions why, and most said were just not confident to push the car to its limit because they were not fully sure where the limit was or what happens once they cross it. You can say they are extremely green - it's all relative - but they were about my level, so I assumed that I would have similar issues.

I'm not saying this is ultimate truth or even anything scientifically valid, but this similar story repeated enough times to make me take note and influence my decision. If a car requires more hours of seat time to figure out it's idiosyncrasies and be quick, it's a negative for a hobby driver...

If course, it's a hearsay, just as it's meant to be. I can post some videos to make it more material, but it's not worth the time for anyone here, and it would not prove much anyway. I am not willing to get into an argument - just posting my observations over the last couple of years while I was picking my next track car.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Interesting "best motoring" video from way back showing a 996 turbo vs some 997's and a 360 Modena with a severely underpowered nsx-r.. Amazing what the nsx achieves despite being 100+hp down. Not directly relevant to this pissing contest, but a great visual reminder of how power isn't everything on the track.

Sad they went supercharged with the new z06.. I think Cosmo has it right... Some super sport version of the c7 may be the perfect compromise for NA fans
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Sebaflex
Advanced

For the Z06, I wouldve prefered something like a 570hp NA V8 that revs to 8k...not a supercharged 620hp torque monster. Doesnt suit the character of the car, if you want a power beast thats what the ZR1 is for.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 AM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
I am considering putting a deposit on one. My problem is the car may not be developed until 2017 and estimated price probably will exceed $300,000. Also I was hoping for a convertible but rumors are it will be a coupe.
Originally Posted by rocklegend
By that time, a possible Corvette ZR1 could will be out for [less than] half price.
FTFY
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 AM
redleg321
Racer

Anyone wanna take a guess what she'll do around norschleiffe?

I reckon with 600+ less pounds of weight than the NISMO Datsun, better aero and gobs more torque I dare say she'll be awfully close to 7:00.

The problem is it'll take Fernando Alonso to control that freak, brute, mutant of a C7.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
which BMW are using the 10w-60?
Any M car. Sportec uses that oil for all its Porsches, including race cars.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Something tells me the Track-focused ZO6 will set new records.

Supercharger pessimists may be in for a shocking surprise especially if the torque is managed to a point where is linear. In addition-I'm sure it will also have the following as an option

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/05/c...data-recorder/

The cost of operating a corvette is also markedly lower with plenty of vendor support.

Murica!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
When it breaks? i agree thats a stupid answer in general. The Vette will be much much easier to fix and cheaper to fix. These pushrod engines extremely reliable with years of perfection of engineering. i personally want both
Tell that to the C6ZO6 owners with blown motors from oiling issues on the earlier editions and valve train issues on the later versions.

Peter
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
So I asked some corvette drivers on a number of occasions why, and most said were just not confident to push the car to its limit because they were not fully sure where the limit was or what happens once they cross it. You can say they are extremely green - it's all relative - but they were about my level, so I assumed that I would have similar issues.
Too green. Sorry.
If you can't comfortably straddle the limit of a car at the track (the most fun part of track driving for me) then you probably have too much car (HP, grip, suspension) for your skills. You'd learn more and enjoy the driving more if you downgraded to a car which would allow you to straddle its limits comfortably.

Car comparisons between drivers who can't straddle their cars limits don't say much, IMO. Brute HP/weight and grip would be easy predictors for which car is "better" at 7/10.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Main question in my mind at this point is build quality and reliability. Late last season, I saw a new C7 at a DE - looked really nice in gray. I was eager to hear how the car performed, but the car didn't even last three laps (not sure what the problem was).

Last edited by Manifold; 01-08-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Too green. Sorry.
If you can't comfortably straddle the limit of a car at the track (the most fun part of track driving for me) then you probably have too much car (HP, grip, suspension) for your skills. You'd learn more and enjoy the driving more if you downgraded to a car which would allow you to straddle its limits comfortably.

Car comparisons between drivers who can't straddle their cars limits don't say much, IMO. Brute HP/weight and grip would be easy predictors for which car is "better" at 7/10.
I agree. But I do not hear things like that even from most intermediates in M3s or Caymans, for example. Some cars seem to be just easier to get to the limit and keep there comfortably - be it communication, clarity of controls, etc. In my mind, this is an advantage to a typical DE driver.

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06