Sponsored by:

Question Regarding Converting to US DOT Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question Regarding Converting to US DOT Specifications

Gents: I will be spending 4 months in Germany this summer working on a project. Was there last week preparing, and stopped by the local Porsche dealer. They have an allocation for a GT3 available, I can order this week. The delivery would take place right around the time I arrive in Germany this summer. Perfect.

Question: When I'm done and return to the US, does anyone know: (1) What is involved to convert the car to US specs, (2) The cost of doing so, and (3) Who does such a conversion?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Call Porsche
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Order the clubsport package and sell me the cage when you return.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts

why do they put a round pizza into a square box, and then cut the pizza into triangles ?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Order the clubsport package and sell me the cage when you return.
And I'll have the seats please
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
why do they put a round pizza into a square box, and then cut the pizza into triangles ?
while I'm a can-do sort of guy, you will find that you no can-do this. The obstacles have stumped bill gates with his 959, and many lesser mortals. You need a USA car to register it in USA.. If you try to buy a euro Porsche you will be stuck. Caveat emptor, and Godspeed and every other silly word.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

You can order the car in US-Spec here in Germany. This is a very common procedure as there are many US-citizens in my area who are here with the military (Airforce; Army) and who buy new cars here.

If they move back they just take the cars with them.

The thing I don't know is how the registration of the car is handeled if you're not in the Military... I don't think that they accept a car that doesen't match our regulations. Is it possible to register a car in the US which is still overseas but in US-spec and owned by an American owner?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Your USA dealer can specify European Delivery which also takes care of getting the car stateside when you return. The only issues are the refundable VAT deposit and the Porsche supplied insurance runs out after 2 weeks so you'll need to obtain your own after that.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Your USA dealer can specify European Delivery which also takes care of getting the car stateside when you return. The only issue is the Porsche supplied insurance runs out after 2 weeks so you'll need to obtain your own after that.
Indeed, logistically this looks like the best option. BUT, the issue is that nobody seems to have any allocations available state-side. I did find an allocation available immediately in Germany. BUT, as expected, it sounds like it would be an issue getting that car registered here.

I think the answer is to do European Delivery, and just pay to extend the insurance beyond the 2 weeks that Porsche provides. NOW, if I can just find an allocation......
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Didn't Macca order and receive his (RHD, NZ-spec) car from a Swiss Porsche dealer and registered/insured it with Swiss plates allowing him to drive it in EU for 12 months? Maybe you could do the same. Or call Porsche and ask for a 4 month long European Delivery option.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a European delivery scheduled and have been told I have up to 6 months to keep it in Europe before AVT kicks in.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
I have a European delivery scheduled and have been told I have up to 6 months to keep it in Europe before AVT kicks in.
I have learned the same, so can confirm the validity of the 6 month period.

So I've made a lot of phone calls today, and can't find any dealer who can offer an allocation. If anyone knows of one, I would be eternally grateful. It sounds like I need to place my order NOW for a Euro delivery in the May/June timeframe...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Registration is the least of your problems.

Does the car meet US regulations? I believe it needs to be certified by Porsche that it does before it can be imported to the USA. Even if it meets US reg. then you need to get it licensed within the state you plan to live in. The state may have additional regs.

Quick Reply: Question Regarding Converting to US DOT Specifications