Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport Chrono

Hey guys,

I am now in the process of specing out my GT3 with my local dealer. I'll probably have more questions in the future, but for now I'm wondering....what is the "Additional performance display in PCM" that comes with the Sport Chrono Package? Is there any other benefits to getting it?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
Hey guys, I am now in the process of specing out my GT3 with my local dealer. I'll probably have more questions in the future, but for now I'm wondering....what is the "Additional performance display in PCM" that comes with the Sport Chrono Package? Is there any other benefits to getting it?
Would be good to have clarification from actual owners on this, but I think the sport chrono gives you nothing but the clock and lap times. Sounds like the other useless doo dads (g-meter etc) are included even without the chrono option?

True/false?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought the G-meter was a standard feature, but I could be wrong. There was a track video posted a while back, I believe by a European owner, that showed the PCM sport chrono display in action but it wasn't clear enough to see all the data being displayed.

One of our new owners should have info on this feature in their manuals even if they didn't get the option. Maybe someone could post an excerpt.....
Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have both torque graph and g meter displays that can be selected. Totally useless of course. I don't have sport chrono, seemed a pointless option to have.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also get a free, ugly wart on your dash that kinda looks like a clock and kinda like a stopwatch. I know that's not helpful.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Sport Chrono in my current 997. Of course that one came with additional performance. I think I got used to the "wart" on the dash. But now am reconsidering the benefit and look of it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I liked the old wart well enough and the new one is nicely integrated into the dash and looks better than before. The dashboard seems barren to me without the wart now, but I realize I may in the minority with that opinion. The wart is certainly no more "useless" than painted keys, monogrammed door sills, or any of a number of other add-ons. Just a different way for Porsche to extract a little more money from people trying to individualize their cars.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Just get it to be safe. . think it's like 400. Might look fishy on resale if you don't have it. On Turbo it's 4500 but adds a lot more features.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Just get it to be safe. . think it's like 400. Might look fishy on resale if you don't have it. On Turbo it's 4500 but adds a lot more features.
Nothing fishy about a gt3 without S/C. Many previous GT3 and/or RS owners chose not to order it. Skipping it will not affect resale.

GT3/RSs do not benefit from sport chrono as other models do; especially turbos.

As Mike pointed out, it looks better with the 991 as it is now integrated, however, is still basically useless.

I skipped it on my .2 3 and will skip it again when I spec my 991 GT3 or RS in the next couple months.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-07-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Sounds Good. I like a more lux interior for my GT3. Just a matter of preference. I'll still blow you off the track on my BMW 1000rr no matter how many weight saving gadgets you skip on your RS.. LOL..
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I liked the old wart well enough and the new one is nicely integrated into the dash and looks better than before. The dashboard seems barren to me without the wart now, but I realize I may in the minority with that opinion. The wart is certainly no more "useless" than painted keys, monogrammed door sills, or any of a number of other add-ons. Just a different way for Porsche to extract a little more money from people trying to individualize their cars.
I have to agree with that. The wart has become so synonymous with porsches, particularly 911s, that it is a must have for cosmetic reasons alone. True, unlike other 911s, in the GT3 SC adds nothing performance wise, but that's why it is a much cheaper option in the GT3 compared to other models. Granted the wart is almost useless, but it has become a part of the 911 image. Not getting it is kind of like getting a Ferrari, without the scuderia shields, rarely done and not advisable.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I have to agree with that. The wart has become so synonymous with porsches, particularly 911s, that it is a must have for cosmetic reasons alone. True, unlike other 911s, in the GT3 SC adds nothing performance wise, but that's why it is a much cheaper option in the GT3 compared to other models. Granted the wart is almost useless, but it has become a part of the 911 image. Not getting it is kind of like getting a Ferrari, without the scuderia shields, rarely done and not advisable.
I actually agree with this. And now that the GT3 audience is a little more varied due to the usability...I'd just say to get it. Disclaimer, I did get it with mine.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Excellent point. Also, the shields cost about $1500.

FWIW, I ordered the Sport Chrono.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yeah, I figure for 400 bucks you get the PCM timing functions, worthless (or not) though they may be, and an additional instrument; nicely placed (IMO) with a digital clock and stopwatch that are evocative of classic sports car in-dash timers.

Compare that to spending $335 for a bit of painted plastic on a key fob. The sport chrono is a freaking bargain in comparison.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah, I figure for 400 bucks you get the PCM timing functions, worthless (or not) though they may be, and an additional instrument; nicely placed (IMO) with a digital clock and stopwatch that are evocative of classic sports car in-dash timers.

Compare that to spending $335 for a bit of painted plastic on a key fob. The sport chrono is a freaking bargain in comparison.
Agree on all points, particularly the key fob bit

Most importantly I like that it a digital age, and partially digital car, it evokes the look of a classic sports car with an in-dash timer

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono