Sponsored by:

Real world feedback: headlights and satellite roof antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real world feedback: headlights and satellite roof antenna

Now that Karl Leonard's posts re: real life GT silver pics in the sun have swayed me into locking down GT silver, I think the only material option choice I'm on the fence about is PDLS xenons vs. LEDs. I actually prefer the pure look of the single xenon canister that retain the classic 2-eye look of the 911 vs. the double canisters inside the LEDs. However, I was wondering if anyone who's opted for the LEDs had any feedback in terms of nighttime driving and the advantages offered by the LEDs vs. Porsche xenons (if you've had experience with both). I will be doing a fair bit of driving on the weekends in the dark from Atlanta to the N. Georgia mountains for a weekend home commute and if you told me the LEDs had materially better nighttime illumination on low and high beam settings, then I might be swayed, but if we're only talking about a slight difference in hue instead or clearer edges of the headlight pattern, then I might opt for the visual cues of the xenons. Much appreciated.

Separately, does anyone know if the satellite antenna on the rear roof is only present if you opt for Sirius-XM satellite radio or does it show up if you get GPS/satellite navigation. Sat-nav is a must for me, but I can do w/out the satellite radio if it means not having the wart on my roof.

Thanks guys. Love all the helpful feedback from this forum!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Can't comment on the relative difference between Bi-Xenon and LEDs except that I went with PDLS/Bi-Xenon. In my experience, in no way are the Bi-Xenon's deficient in light output so even if the LED's are somewhat brighter, it wasn't a concern for me, especially not for $3K+.

As for the roof wart, it's only present with SAT radio. There is no wart if you get GPS/NAV.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Mike in CA: as usual, you're first to the mat with good feedback. I figure the PDLS bi-xenons will be great, but I wear glasses sometimes for driving at night, so if someone said they were materially better than prior xenons, I might lean that way. For the record, you need to find an avatar without the LEDs in them then.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. Hopefully someone will chime in!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@SamFromTX addressed this question in another thread:

I had Xenons on the C4S that I drove for 17,000 miles, then LED on the last two. I find no discernible difference. Yes, the LEDs are a bit brighter but the Xenons are bright enough.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@SamFromTX addressed this question in another thread:

I had Xenons on the C4S that I drove for 17,000 miles, then LED on the last two. I find no discernible difference. Yes, the LEDs are a bit brighter but the Xenons are bright enough.
I would like to add that if I was to order my car all over again, I would order it exactly the same but leave the LEDs out and add seat backs in leather instead. And I too wear glasses.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The LED's have a way cooler DRL look. That's why I ordered them.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Mike in CA: as usual, you're first to the mat with good feedback. I figure the PDLS bi-xenons will be great, but I wear glasses sometimes for driving at night, so if someone said they were materially better than prior xenons, I might lean that way. For the record, you need to find an avatar without the LEDs in them then.
Great catch, Ken, and you're right! Hopefully, I'll shortly have a pic of my own car to use as an avatar.

My friend in Germany did say that the LEDs were somewhat brighter, so as good as the bi-xenons are, in your case the extra output might make the LEDs worth getting. But from other comments, it doesn't sound like there is $3K worth of difference.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I forget. Did you order the black PDLS or the regular ones?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zero911
Mike, I forget. Did you order the black PDLS or the regular ones?
I ordered the regular PDLS specifically because I didn't like the silver trim of the standard lights. The PDLS part is just icing on the cake, AFAIC. I felt that the gray trim on the PDLS would work well with red and match the platinum gray wheels without going all the way to black. Silly to worry about all this color matching stuff, I guess, but it's part of the fun too....
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 AM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The drl look of the LEDs are worth 3k.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The DRL look is nice but the "4 eyes" thing is still not growing on me yet. We'll see.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually prefer the LEDs BECAUSE of the 4 eyes look. I dislike the smiley gt3 face, and think the double LEDs detract from that appearance - they also look more modern.

That said, the black PDLS accomplish the same thing and look great.

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 01-06-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Audi is about to Introduce laser headlights which will make led and xenon obsolete while simultaneously making us all feel like earth vader.. Hopefully these won't be far begins with Porsches.

Why is this relevant to this conversation?... It isn't.

Quick Reply: Real world feedback: headlights and satellite roof antenna