Sponsored by:

On track. My review and video.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Never had a 991. Is there annoying buffeting with windows down all the time? That would **** me off.
At speeds over about 70 there is the boom you hear in the vid if windows are all the way down. Popping the back of the sunroof makes it go away. Annoying unless you have helmet on and are focused. I had convinced myself the sport mirrors would fix it but there it was.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Congrats Sam! I should call Owen to make an offer on your turbo S

Looking forward to seeing fast lap times from you.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Sam, I'm confused. On 11/16/13 you posted MSR laptimes with the TTS on stock Pirelli P Zeros and Stock camber as 1:20.04 in the Turbo S Thread.
The photo of your Solo also shows your 3 best laps as 1:20.19, 1:20.61, 1:20.89 - all outstanding laptimes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-review-5.html

"1:20:04, with a passenger and nearly shredded front outer stock tire on stock alignment. I have hence added 0.5 degrees negative camber to the front. In the C4S, anything more on street tires killed the inside shoulder of the inside tire and the alignment specs appear to be the same."

In the GT3 Thread yesterday you posted your best MSR TTS time as a slower 1:22.98

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...and-video.html

"For those who know it, the video is of Motorsports Ranch, 1.7 miles running clockwise. In the C4S my best time was 1:25:51. In the TTS it was 1:22:98. In the GT3 it was 1:23:41. I am 100% certain I can beat the TTS next time for several reasons. First, track was very cold and traction poor. The TTS time was in optimal 64 degrees. Second, the TTS time was with its alignment adjusted. Third, this was first day on the track with the GT3 and it was only 5 days old and I didn't want to take it off track. Finally, this was first day with R-ish compound tires and I don't think I had the right pressures in them."

Were the MSR track configurations different or was the TTS on Street tires actually 3.37 seconds faster than the GT3 on "R" compound tires?
If so, you have your work cut out for you to match those excellent laptimes.

Many thanks again for your very informative posts and the great Video.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

My guess is two main reasons, 1. it is the CW direction. We get a lot more laps going CCW. (Typical DE is CCW) 2. Need to figure out what tire pressure is optimum with these tires and this car.

Walt
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Congrats Sam! I should call Owen to make an offer on your turbo S

Looking forward to seeing fast lap times from you.
Nice Avatar.....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Sam, I'm confused. On 11/16/13 you posted MSR laptimes with the TTS on stock Pirelli P Zeros and Stock camber as 1:20.04 in the Turbo S Thread.
The photo of your Solo also shows your 3 best laps as 1:20.19, 1:20.61, 1:20.89 - all outstanding laptimes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-review-5.html

"1:20:04, with a passenger and nearly shredded front outer stock tire on stock alignment. I have hence added 0.5 degrees negative camber to the front. In the C4S, anything more on street tires killed the inside shoulder of the inside tire and the alignment specs appear to be the same."

In the GT3 Thread yesterday you posted your best MSR TTS time as a slower 1:22.98

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...and-video.html

"For those who know it, the video is of Motorsports Ranch, 1.7 miles running clockwise. In the C4S my best time was 1:25:51. In the TTS it was 1:22:98. In the GT3 it was 1:23:41. I am 100% certain I can beat the TTS next time for several reasons. First, track was very cold and traction poor. The TTS time was in optimal 64 degrees. Second, the TTS time was with its alignment adjusted. Third, this was first day on the track with the GT3 and it was only 5 days old and I didn't want to take it off track. Finally, this was first day with R-ish compound tires and I don't think I had the right pressures in them."

Were the MSR track configurations different or was the TTS on Street tires actually 3.37 seconds faster than the GT3 on "R" compound tires?
If so, you have your work cut out for you to match those excellent laptimes.

Many thanks again for your very informative posts and the great Video.
Clockwise versus counterclockwise. CW is 2-3 secs slower for me. The numbers on this threat pertain to CW.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by WaltB
My guess is two main reasons, 1. it is the CW direction. We get a lot more laps going CCW. (Typical DE is CCW) 2. Need to figure out what tire pressure is optimum with these tires and this car.

Walt
Yes. And CW is slower for everyone.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

So did the using the PDK in auto mode eventually become boring at all? I'm eager to get back on track after a couple months away, and when I imagine driving on track, shifting features prominently in my imagery.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Clockwise versus counterclockwise. CW is 2-3 secs slower for me. The numbers on this threat pertain to CW.
Thanks Walt and Sam. That explains it. I never ran bi-directional on road-course tracks. Must be hugely challenging with completely different turn in, apex and track out points in addition to safety considerations locating flag stations, tire walls, run-off areas, curbing. etc. Do you know what direction you will be using on your next
lapping days?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Yes. And CW is slower for everyone.
So is 2-3sec slower the norm for CW? I've only ever run CCW at this track (Pat Long coaching event). Looks very different CW.

Nice laps BTW.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Thanks Walt and Sam. That explains it. I never ran bi-directional on road-course tracks. Must be hugely challenging with completely different turn in, apex and track out points in addition to safety considerations locating flag stations, tire walls, run-off areas, curbing. etc. Do you know what direction you will be using on your next
lapping days?
It's a safe track for run offs, MOST turns. Different lines and one fast turn in particular (Ricochet or turn 6) becomes dangerous in CW direction if you run off and in that particular turn, I chickened a hair in the GT3 because it was (still is) brand new. I am going to MSR Saturday, where they are running the whole track (3.1 miles) and when they do, it is only CCW. I don't have my best times in previous cars right now as the Excel file is on my home computer.

Originally Posted by Nizer
So is 2-3sec slower the norm for CW? I've only ever run CCW at this track (Pat Long coaching event). Looks very different CW.

Nice laps BTW.
No. The norm is 1-2 seconds off the pace but I don't get to practice CW much because they only run it once a month on member days and I'm not always available. I think I ran the 1.7 CCW close to 30 times last year versus 4 or 5 for the CW. The 3.1 is also uncommon but I drove it about a dozen or so times and 1.7 of which is the CCW section.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
So did the using the PDK in auto mode eventually become boring at all? I'm eager to get back on track after a couple months away, and when I imagine driving on track, shifting features prominently in my imagery.
Not for me. Makes me concentrate more on "driving". That said, my C4S and TTS where also PDK. I have grone to love it because I am obsessed with my lap times.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to the track again this coming Saturday (with my coach). It will be the 3.1 mile track configuration. Now that I have better camber set up, I should know for sure how those tires stand up to abuse. I will run 4 or 5 30 minute sessions very hard. I'll report back, perhaps with another video.
Looking forward to your feedback after this Saturday. Do you know if replacement Cup 2’s are even available yet (in GT3 sizes)? I checked TireRack yesterday and only the 245’s appear to be in stock (no 305’s).
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Those seats! What is Porsche thinking by not giving the 1GT3 sport buckets. Absurd.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Looking forward to your feedback after this Saturday. Do you know if replacement Cup 2’s are even available yet (in GT3 sizes)? I checked TireRack yesterday and only the 245’s appear to be in stock (no 305’s).
Just heard back from my delaership. Tire Rack has them. The dealer claims they sometimes will hold a few sets for them if supply is limited. Ordered a set.

Quick Reply: On track. My review and video.