Sponsored by:

Why am I being denied the European Delivery? - First Topic Post

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by major dad
I live in Ireland ( Europe) and have done a Factory collection for my last 997 GT3. Here's some info.

In Ireland/UK the buyer pays an extra $3000. He gets 2X flights to Stuttgart airport transfer, Hotel and dinner, and a factory tour and handover.

Euro dealers are forbidden to sell over list price. Is this not true in the USA ?

Factory collection is not possible for GT3's for winter months due to not fitting winter tyres I think.

Lovely car Karl, will look great parked beside my RS later in the year !
Definitely NOT true in the US!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Selling over MSRP is certainly discouraged for US dealers. Whether or not Porsche will punish those dealers is another question.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

When the cost for Euro delivery was $2250 in 2009, I received one night's stay in a 4 star hotel, cab fare to the factory, and lunch at the factory restaurant. (No airfare) As has been pointed out, it's different now that Euro delivery is free.

Compare this to when I collected my Carrera in 1984. In addition to the above there was a discount on the price of the car and airfare was included. Times have changed....
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
One extra allocation....not two.
Thanks Brett.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually my dealer was overjoyed because they realized they got extra allocations. Well my dealer said there was no additional cost for them or myself.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
Actually my dealer was overjoyed because they realized they got extra allocations. Well my dealer said there was no additional cost for them or myself.
What, so your dealer didn't charge you anything for european delivery on your GT3 ?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
What, so your dealer didn't charge you anything for european delivery on your GT3 ?
Nope there is no extra charge. If the dealer is charging over invoice than with European delivery Porsche would see it and not approve it.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
From my dealer, ED was encouraged with no upcharge.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
From my dealer, ED was encouraged with no upcharge.
Same here, and I really wish I had the time to take them up on it.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We all should list our dealers name and then take a poll on customer satisfaction
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When the cost for Euro delivery was $2250 in 2009, I received one night's stay in a 4 star hotel, cab fare to the factory, and lunch at the factory restaurant. (No airfare) As has been pointed out, it's different now that Euro delivery is free. Compare this to when I collected my Carrera in 1984. In addition to the above there was a discount on the price of the car and airfare was included. Times have changed....
Mike: Are you sure you got airfare was included in the early 1980's? I did two European Delivery Porsches back then - a 944 in Fall of 1982 and a 944 Turbo in Fall of 1985. I got the discounts...but no airfare was included! How would the latter have worked anyway - NYC vs Chicago vs SanFrancisco vs Honolulu?

Factory Delivery has a long history at Porsche. It was first call 'Vacation Delivery Plan'. Check out this brochure from MY1955 (attached photos).

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS I have done 5 Euro deliveries so far. By far the BMW program offers the best savings, followed by Mercedes! The 'bond' created to the marque by the entire European Delivery program experience is enormous. From a marketing perspective, it's the 'gift' that keeps on giving years after the sale has occurred. It is extremely short-sighted of Porsche not to offer a real discount on its European Delivery Program, especially in the face of BMW's & Mercedes' significant savings. Although not necessary for the in-demand gt3 model, it could incentivize additional sales for its other models (e.g 991, 981). By the way, there is a 918 European Delivery Program in which you get the factory Leipzig track all to yourself for three hours, along with a factory driving instructor to help you out! So if they put their mind to it, PAG can make European Delivery an exciting option for any US Porsche customer in what ever model they may choose!

Attached Images    
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
Nope there is no extra charge. If the dealer is charging over invoice than with European delivery Porsche would see it and not approve it.
So if my dealer is selling me a GT3 at MSRP, and then decides to charge $3,000 on top of that if I want european delivery, they are going against the directions of Porsche themselves?

I'm going to have an interesting talk with my dealer this week. I don't want to pay $3,000 that I don't have too, however they did find me an allocation at the last minute.

P.S. This may also answer the OP's question in some ways. I would assume that Porsche dealerships make out like bandits when they sell GT3s, RS, etc, because they get to sell them at MSRP. So if I'm requesting european delivery, then they are too happy about making 3,000 less on the car, which is why they gave the bull**** story to the OP about liability or whatever as a reason they couldn't do ED.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Mike: Are you sure you got airfare was included in the early 1980's? I did two European Delivery Porsches back then - a 944 in Fall of 1982 and a 944 Turbo in Fall of 1985. I got the discounts...but no airfare was included! How would the latter have worked anyway - NYC vs Chicago vs SanFrancisco vs Honolulu?

Factory Delivery has a long history at Porsche. It was first call 'Vacation Delivery Plan'. Check out this brochure from MY1955 (attached photos).

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS I have done 5 Euro deliveries so far. By far the BMW program offers the best savings, followed by Mercedes! The 'bond' created to the marque by the entire European Delivery program experience is enormous. From a marketing perspective, it's the 'gift' that keeps on giving years after the sale has occurred. It is extremely short-sighted of Porsche not to offer a real discount on its European Delivery Program, especially in the face of BMW's & Mercedes' significant savings. Although not necessary for the in-demand gt3 model, it could incentivize additional sales for its other models (e.g 991, 981). By the way, there is a 918 European Delivery Program in which you get the factory Leipzig track all to yourself for three hours, along with a factory driving instructor to help you out! So if they put their mind to it, PAG can make European Delivery an exciting option for any US Porsche customer in what ever model they may choose!

Eduardo, I would have sworn that we received one free airfare in '84. I remember staying gratis at the Hotel am Schlossgarten in Stuttgart that first trip which was also our first visit to Europe. But now that you question it, I'm questioning myself; it seems you have a great memory for this kind of thing.

I've done 3 Porsche tourist deliveries, and one each with Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW so it's possible I'm confusing one with the other as some of them most definitely included airfare. I do remember in '84 that pictures (no flash) were allowed on parts of the factory tour; somewhere I have slides to prove that, at least! Great stuff from the '55 brochure, BTW....

Best,
Mike

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-06-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Two questions:

-why do BMW offer a discount with ED?.. Where is the savings for them?

-why was dealer more upset ab one buyer on here taking the sudden harden option (vs Leipzig)?

while I have not paid for my allocation yet, salesperson at Sonnen encouraged me to take ED option if I could take the time and does not charge for it.. Just FYI for those whose dealers are charging.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

European delivery allocations for the GT3 are over and above dealer normal allocations. In other words extra GT3 allocations.

Quick Reply: Why am I being denied the European Delivery? - First Topic Post