Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Prep Option

Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero911
How insulated is the cabin on the new GT3? Not saying at all that it's important to me but just curious since you mentioned the sound system is good.
Not much worse than a Carrera but remember, like the Carrera, the exhaust goes through the car somewhere, so road noise is not a big deal, the exhaust music is. I drive with sport exhaust on all the time and when I have to take a phone call, I turn it off. I can hear the caller via Bluetooth but they can't hear me as much (too much zoom in the background) and I frequently revert to handset while on the highway. Around town, Bluetooth is perfect.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Not much worse than a Carrera but remember, like the Carrera, the exhaust goes through the car somewhere, so road noise is not a big deal, the exhaust music is. I drive with sport exhaust on all the time and when I have to take a phone call, I turn it off. I can hear the caller via Bluetooth but they can't hear me as much (too much zoom in the background) and I frequently revert to handset while on the highway. Around town, Bluetooth is perfect.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sam, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're referring to the Sound Symposer which, in the Carrera, ducts intake noise into the cabin. AFAIK, the GT3 doesn't have that feature, and everything that you're hearing should be au naturale.....
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Skip the roof wart. ALL car nav systems blow in comparison to an iPhone or android device. And the gap will only widen with time.
+1

I found the XM traffic was far inferior to google maps traffic
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While at or close to the subject, the sound system is actually very good. I was pleasantly surprised because I expected a low quality no bass sound but not true. I think they could have saved about two pounds by using smaller speaker magnets. Not complaining!
Have to agree, it was a surprise that it worked ok. Prior gen was terrible even with enhanced sound option setup. The 991 is very civilized so relived Sam to see you gunning it on track and having fun!!!

Last edited by FLM911; 01-06-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
+1 I found the XM traffic was far inferior to google maps traffic
Google maps is antiquated.. Download the WAZE app... Crowd sourced GPS.. Accuracy down to the meter, with speeds and ideal routes updated to the second... Makes every other map/GPS obsolete.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM
green
Pro

So my friend who got his GT3 2 weeks ago is upset that he doesn't have a phone bluetooth connection. I guess his salesman didn't help him check the infamous 619 option, being an early order.
He has BT available for music streaming.
Is there an aftermarket workaround for his phone connection?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Google maps is antiquated.. Download the WAZE app... Crowd sourced GPS.. Accuracy down to the meter, with speeds and ideal routes updated to the second... Makes every other map/GPS obsolete.
Downloaded Waze after you previously mentioned it. I like it so far. My wife just downloaded it as well. Love the warnings for cops and traffic light cams. It's cool seeing other wazers in your vicnity. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Chuckgt3
8th Gear

Default PCM Input

Is there any way to input a new data source into PCM. Thinking of things like Waze or radar/laser detection.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by green
So my friend who got his GT3 2 weeks ago is upset that he doesn't have a phone bluetooth connection. I guess his salesman didn't help him check the infamous 619 option, being an early order.
He has BT available for music streaming.
Is there an aftermarket workaround for his phone connection?
This is the first I've heard that 619 is just for the phone portion, making BT streaming music is standard. That's good to hear for the poor souls who didn't check 619.

Not sure on the aftermarket option.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
green
Pro

He has PCA/NAV though, might explain why he has music BT.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're referring to the Sound Symposer which, in the Carrera, ducts intake noise into the cabin. AFAIK, the GT3 doesn't have that feature, and everything that you're hearing should be au naturale.....
Mike, looks like I missed your post a while ago, sorry. having driven both almost back to back, it feels like there is a lot of sound inside the cabin with the windows up (in the GT3). Now that you have driven it, do you feel the sound is still not ducted? If it isn't, then is that because of less insulation?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, looks like I missed your post a while ago, sorry. having driven both almost back to back, it feels like there is a lot of sound inside the cabin with the windows up (in the GT3). Now that you have driven it, do you feel the sound is still not ducted? If it isn't, then is that because of less insulation?
I am confidant, the 991 GT3 is not ducted. Previous GT3s were not either. Previous GT3s also had less sound insulation. I would expect the same of this car.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I am confidant, the 991 GT3 is not ducted. Previous GT3s were not either. Previous GT3s also had less sound insulation. I would expect the same of this car.
Sam, no worries,

I agree completely with Chris. I'm certain the GT3 doesn't have intake (or any) noise artificially ducted into the cabin like the sound symposer in the Carrera. There are a lot more noises of all types in the GT3, and I'm sure it has to do mostly with the fact that there is less sound insulation.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911dev
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, no worries,

I agree completely with Chris. I'm certain the GT3 doesn't have intake (or any) noise artificially ducted into the cabin like the sound symposer in the Carrera. There are a lot more noises of all types in the GT3, and I'm sure it has to do mostly with the fact that there is less sound insulation.
Awesome. It always bothered me a bit in the Carrera that it was not "real". I can now enjoy this symphony much better. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phone Prep Option