Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Peter,

We had trouble with solo and smartycam on OBDII in 997RS and I went with Racelogic/VBOX

I need to order another one. It needs to work with 964 ( I have it now in 83SC and it does not much except lap times)

The one from the RSA will likey be shared with the 991RS and I expect it to show everything with a custom cool scene like I had in the 4.0.

Any new upgrades HD? Drop me a mail sometime.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
This reminds me of the movie, City Slickers where Billy Crystal is trying to explain how to operate a VHS recorder and the guy says, "I still don't get it?"

So, are you saying that the OBD-II works well enough w/ the SmartyCam?

At the end of the day, I SUCK at technology. It's why I LOVED the Solo. So stinking simple. For that same reason, it's why i'm doing away w/ the Gopro's and vendor software because I can't get anything to work? Understand the SmartyCam and SoloDL are plug & play???

I get that the CAN is better, but will OBD-II be adequate for a "weekend warrior?"
Plug and play yes. Ask the vendor to set it up for 991 and put an overlay together for you with feeds for brake & throttle pressure, RPM, speed, G meter, fastest lap, current lap, date, time.

OBDII is more than fine for most if us and it can be moved easily from car to car.

Smartycam HD revision 2 120 degree is the one I use.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:19 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It also feeds a few more channels.

Power is supplied through the OBD-II pins as well as the drivetrain data. The direct wire CAN has six wires, two of which are unused (RS-232 RX and TX), two that get the data (CAN+ and CAN -) and power and ground (red and black). As pointed out by orthojoe, all of the connection are in the same area of the kick panel near the fuse box.

The OBD-II power is on all the time (on most cars) and the Solo DL (along with any accessories connected to the Solo DL) automatically shuts off after inactivity. On the direct wire CAN cable, I connect it to "key-on" power for my own peace of mind.
Do you know which wire has key-on power?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Plug and play yes. Ask the vendor to set it up for 991 and put an overlay together for you with feeds for brake & throttle pressure, RPM, speed, G meter, fastest lap, current lap, date, time.

OBDII is more than fine for most if us and it can be moved easily from car to car.

Smartycam HD revision 2 120 degree is the one I use.
All good info.

I don't send anything that is not preconfigured as you outline above. Saves time and a significant amount of hassle, as well as cuts the need for "support" calls and emails to a minimum, so folks can concentrate on enjoying their new technology tools!

Honestly, most dealers, especially mail or web order, don't have practical knowledge on how to do that, which is unfortunate for all.

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Do you know which wire has key-on power?
No, not off the bat, but I'll look at a car tomorrow at VIR and see.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-29-2015, 02:27 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Been driving around town experimenting with my solo dl, currently using the obd11 connector. Was positioning the solo at low left on my windshield as possible but was wondering if any of you had placed it in another area besides the windshield and it worked just fine? I believe I've seen some m3 guys put it with tie wraps on their AC vents in the middle councel. The less on my windows the better. Like to hear what you guys are doing
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Been driving around town experimenting with my solo dl, currently using the obd11 connector. Was positioning the solo at low left on my windshield as possible but was wondering if any of you had placed it in another area besides the windshield and it worked just fine? I believe I've seen some m3 guys put it with tie wraps on their AC vents in the middle councel. The less on my windows the better. Like to hear what you guys are doing
I put it just under the rear view mirror using a ram mount.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AIM Solo DL instal in 991 GT3

Any updates on better solutions to install the Solo DL w Smartcam?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I put it just under the rear view mirror using a ram mount.
Looking to keep it off the windshield, all together.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also interested. Suction cups are not allowed at the pca fos event
Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 AM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AIM Solo install in 991 GT3

Can anyone recommend a proficient AIM installer in the Northern NJ metro NY area? I saw the data comparison in this thread and cannot clearly see if the gear and rpm are grayed out in the ECU install. It appears that these two data sources are unchecked in the OBD install.
I had the Solo DL installed in the OBD on my 2014 GT3. I got rpm data but the gear selection was not accurate for gears 4-7. Is this a software setup issue? Must go to ECU?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes911
Can anyone recommend a proficient AIM installer in the Northern NJ metro NY area? I saw the data comparison in this thread and cannot clearly see if the gear and rpm are grayed out in the ECU install. It appears that these two data sources are unchecked in the OBD install.
I had the Solo DL installed in the OBD on my 2014 GT3. I got rpm data but the gear selection was not accurate for gears 4-7. Is this a software setup issue? Must go to ECU?
In order to get gear data, you must have it calculated using math channels in RS2.

https://vimeo.com/31474093
Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Seems like initially the sentiment was that CAN would provide the necessary data. Am I correct in saying that now it seems that people feel the OBD connection provides everything you need for analysis and smartycam HD?

Also, the connector that comes with the Solo DL OBD is a right angle and will fit in the fuse box with the cover closed?

Is there anything that is valuable to a non-racer that I would be giving up by not going CAN? I've looked through the settings outlines earlier in this thread and it seems like slip angle and individual wheel brake pressures would be only available with CAN - likely not deal breakers.

In terms of SmartyCam HD, is there a difference which setup you use?

(apologies if some of these things have been asked before but it seems there's an increased level of familiarity with the car electronics now)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
Thanks for reviving this thread.

Seems like initially the sentiment was that CAN would provide the necessary data. Am I correct in saying that now it seems that people feel the OBD connection provides everything you need for analysis and smartycam HD?

Also, the connector that comes with the Solo DL OBD is a right angle and will fit in the fuse box with the cover closed?

Is there anything that is valuable to a non-racer that I would be giving up by not going CAN? I've looked through the settings outlines earlier in this thread and it seems like slip angle and individual wheel brake pressures would be only available with CAN - likely not deal breakers.

In terms of SmartyCam HD, is there a difference which setup you use?

(apologies if some of these things have been asked before but it seems there's an increased level of familiarity with the car electronics now)

The only thing you give up by going with OBD2 over CAN is resolution/refresh rate. OBD2 logs at 10hz (.1 second) whereas CAN will get you 50 Hz (0.02 seconds)

The obd2 connector that comes with solo DL is not right angle and requires you to remove the fusebox cover to plug in. I haven't had a problem doing this.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:59 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I installed the data cable between the dash and the A pillar. I decided to go with the DL CAN bus connection. The problem I am having is the Aim Solo unit turns itself back on after I turn it off. Even though I used a key on power source the CAN bus excites the Solo when you close the door or when anything happens in the car. Just touch the door handle and the unit lights up.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The only thing you give up by going with OBD2 over CAN is resolution/refresh rate. OBD2 logs at 10hz (.1 second) whereas CAN will get you 50 Hz (0.02 seconds)

The obd2 connector that comes with solo DL is not right angle and requires you to remove the fusebox cover to plug in. I haven't had a problem doing this.
Thanks Joe. I must have misunderstood. Perhaps it's just ProCoach who is bundling the right angle OBD2.

Any difference from a smartycamHD perspective whether CAN or OBD?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection