Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Just wondering can obd2 socket be removed from fusebox and relocated to a better spot. Probably the cable wire is all taped up with the rest of the other wires which probably not worth doing. Just a thought. Mike
No real need. Just get this:
Amazon.com: Low Profile Right/Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 3'/1m: Automotive Amazon.com: Low Profile Right/Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 3'/1m: Automotive

The fuzebox cover closes over it without any issues, and then you can connect Solo or anything else to the other end in a more convenient place. I route it under mat to behind seats and connect everything there, out of the way. I posted pictures last winter, but cannot find them now - will try once I get home next week.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

--
Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

deleted. put same link in as Max.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

canbus install was pretty easy but I think I will want to hook it up to some power.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig

canbus install was pretty easy but I think I will want to hook it up to some power.
Nice. So the canbus hookup just gets you a higher datarate, but needs another power connection?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice. So the canbus hookup just gets you a higher datarate, but needs another power connection?
You don't need a power connection, but it is nice to have one. Otherwise you have to worry about draining the battery. The fusebox is right next to the CAN connections (there are 2 places to connect to CAN line, and both spots have a fuse box nearby), so it's easy to tap into the fusebox for power.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

You shouldn't worry about running the battery down because the Solo DL shuts off after a period of inactivity, which is why it's ok to leave it plugged into the OBD-II.

You do need a switched power connection if you want to run with the backlight on and will have to have switched power if you connect a SmartyCam to the Solo DL, or the camera won't work.

There are simple "add a circuit" fused plug ins with a pigtail to connect the Solo DL red power lead to available at most good auto parts stores.

Looking good!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice. So the canbus hookup just gets you a higher data sample rate, but needs another power connection?
It also feeds a few more channels.

Power is supplied through the OBD-II pins as well as the drivetrain data. The direct wire CAN has six wires, two of which are unused (RS-232 RX and TX), two that get the data (CAN+ and CAN -) and power and ground (red and black). As pointed out by orthojoe, all of the connection are in the same area of the kick panel near the fuse box.

The OBD-II power is on all the time (on most cars) and the Solo DL (along with any accessories connected to the Solo DL) automatically shuts off after inactivity. On the direct wire CAN cable, I connect it to "key-on" power for my own peace of mind.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's pretty neat and from playing around with some test data I am really looking forward to comparing my data against my co-drivers.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigkraig
It's pretty neat and from playing around with some test data I am really looking forward to comparing my data against my co-drivers.
That's where it gets fun!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Took your guys advise and switched out the solo for the solo DL. My car is at the shop, weather is crappy figured I would get the dealer to finnally install the new wheel liniers.

In the mean time, been playing around with the solo DL, which I got with CAN instead of the OB like some of you sugested.

A few quick questions. If I go into the track listing section, I can see my local track but can not select it, not sure if I'm supposed to? Or does the track come up automaticly whe I get within distance of it?

On the AIM site, the only 991 ecu data is for the regular 911, can I use these instructions for hooking up the can to my gt3? For those using CAN, do you have any pics you can post on the best way to hook it? I'm excellent at soldering, been doing it since I was child with RC cars, so no wories there. Just want to make sure I do it in the neatest way possible, with the least chance of damaging my car.

Thanks all, excited to get back my car, hooking it up and experimenting with it around the neighboordhood and public roads.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Took your guys advise and switched out the solo for the solo DL. My car is at the shop, weather is crappy figured I would get the dealer to finnally install the new wheel liniers. In the mean time, been playing around with the solo DL, which I got with CAN instead of the OB like some of you sugested. A few quick questions. If I go into the track listing section, I can see my local track but can not select it, not sure if I'm supposed to? Or does the track come up automaticly whe I get within distance of it? On the AIM site, the only 991 ecu data is for the regular 911, can I use these instructions for hooking up the can to my gt3? For those using CAN, do you have any pics you can post on the best way to hook it? I'm excellent at soldering, been doing it since I was child with RC cars, so no wories there. Just want to make sure I do it in the neatest way possible, with the least chance of damaging my car. Thanks all, excited to get back my car, hooking it up and experimenting with it around the neighboordhood and public roads.
You will be able to confirm track selection once you arrive at the track. You can't do this until you are actually on track. Avoid creating a new track once you get there since it is tempting to push that 'ok' button. The unit will autoselect for you if the track has been pre programmed
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

If you are trying to test the unit, just press OK in the neighborhood and drive a circle around the block. You can then pretend you're on the track apexing the neighborhood for optimal lap times. :-) Easy to remove later... I have a 'test course' in my area I use for this, getting mic setup right, etc...
Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you all, makes perfect sence. How about any images/tips on the best way to hook up the can.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default City Slickers

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, what's nice is little by little, with just about every new release of the Race Studio 2 (configuration software), more functionality is added. Now, you can get brake pressure via OBD-II from 991's and some other cars! Yes, IMO, CAN is better (as CRex pointed out, more channels, like four individual wheel speeds AND bake pressures), but for those with any aversion to a direct connection, there exists an easy alternative that still allows for very valuable harvesting of information.

Still, the maximum value for most drivers appears to be the ability of the Solo DL to "translate" this information and send it to the SmartyCam HD, yielding an instantly playable video WITH accelerator pedal position (driver confidence) and brake pedal pressure (maybe not so much? Or supreme confidence! <grin>), RPM and gear ALREADY on it.

Then, if you or a coach wants to dig deeper, all the info in strip charts, G-G plots (friction circle) and other colored maps is there...

Man, this tech is awesome! It's come a long way from those CAT days! <big grin>
This reminds me of the movie, City Slickers where Billy Crystal is trying to explain how to operate a VHS recorder and the guy says, "I still don't get it?"

So, are you saying that the OBD-II works well enough w/ the SmartyCam?

At the end of the day, I SUCK at technology. It's why I LOVED the Solo. So stinking simple. For that same reason, it's why i'm doing away w/ the Gopro's and vendor software because I can't get anything to work? Understand the SmartyCam and SoloDL are plug & play???

I get that the CAN is better, but will OBD-II be adequate for a "weekend warrior?"

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection