Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3

Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3

The car I ordered many months ago, then cancelled to take the 991TTS two months ago instead, showed up yesterday with my specs unchanged. Couldn't resist.

The red kevlar/carbon fiber dash trim was made months ago when I initially planned on getting a GT3.

I am so sorry for the sideways pics, not sure how to fix the orientation when posting.
Attached Images      
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, congrats! Did you literally part ways with the TTS already?

Any initial impressions on differences between the TTS and the GT3? You might be the first on RL to have already owned both!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That red carbon is pretty sick actually
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The car I ordered many months ago, then cancelled to take the 991TTS two months ago instead, showed up yesterday with my specs unchanged. Couldn't resist. The red kevlar/carbon fiber dash trim was made months ago when I initially planned on getting a GT3. I am so sorry for the sideways pics, not sure how to fix the orientation when posting.
Looks great! Where did you get the red carbon from?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Yeas, I traded the TTS in at 3,000 miles. I damaged the front splitter on the track one day ($1,800 list, so be careful) and it had Pagid racing pads, which they had to remove and revert to OEM. Needed new tires too. Even with those expenses deducted from the trade end, I didn't lose much on the TTS.

I loved the massive power of the TTS from very early on in the RPM range and of course, the Birmester could not be beat. Aesthetically, the extra wide body with the near horizontal flat fender look did not grow on me. Also, the rear of the car sat way too high. The exhaust note sucked and I listened to all after market exhaust upgrades on Turbos (on the 997s) and while louder, none was pleasing. The main reason for trading it in was the track. Yes, fast as heck (very curious to see if the GT3 is as fast on our local track or not) but very heavy and didn't like getting tossed around much. The extra weight and the all wheel drive killed my from tires way too fast. I had to replace the outer front tire twice, in addition to a full set of tires after 5 or 6 track days.

While there appear to be no break-in period for the GT3, I didn't feel good tracking it today with 80 miles on it but am going this weekend. On the road, the GT3 is a hell of a machine. The PDK with no creep is different, in a great way. If you slowly feather the throttle from idle, it will sound and behave like you have the clutch halfway depressed for almost as long as you need to. If you need to move fast and hit the throttle accordingly, it will fully engage very quickly. Up to 3,500 RPM, the sound is Carrera like and then abruptly increases, in a progressive way. I am only going to 7,000 for another 100 miles or so (200 already, been driving all day) and at this range, the car is starting to pull harder and gets louder. Way much better exhaust note than my 991 C4S with sport exhaust. The "fake" burble in the exhaust is not there which is a welcome finding. I drove with both suspension settings and on uneven roads, not comfortable. The soft setting feels like something in between soft and firm in the C4S, definitely something that I can live with as a DD.

The TTS was a great car but felt somewhat "synthetic". The 3 is refined raw (yes, am aware this is an oxymoron but this is the best descriptive I could think of). I m going for another ride and will check back later

Last edited by SamFromTX; 01-01-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by zirrah
That red carbon is pretty sick actually
Thank you. It is not as loud in reality as the pictures show it to be.

Originally Posted by JCBH
Looks great! Where did you get the red carbon from?
Ocarbon.com It took him 6 months to finish it, part of the delay was getting the cores. The weave is wider than Porsche's CF or MACarbon's but this actually suits me fine. I prefer a wide weave for this car.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the impressions, Sam. Looking forward to hearing more...
Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job dude
Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you. It is not as loud in reality as the pictures show it to be. Ocarbon.com It took him 6 months to finish it, part of the delay was getting the cores. The weave is wider than Porsche's CF or MACarbon's but this actually suits me fine. I prefer a wide weave for this car.
Car looks great - would love to see more interior pics. What options did you get? Extended leather?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:05 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Beautiful car

Are you shocked that it wasn't sold after you cancelled or did I read that wrong?..
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Or they knew you would end up buying it!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Great posts. Awesome red carbon fiber/kevlar. May try that on my car.

Love your impressions of driving the GT3 relative to the TTS. You are likely the only person in the US who can comment on that, and you sound like a seasoned track driver.

Would love more driving impressions of the GT3 as she becomes broken in, particularly in comparison to your TTS. You could be the new Macca in that regard.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The red carbon is very cool and works well with the deviated stitching.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Congrats on the upgrade!

There sure are a lot of white GT3's!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM
mtuttle
Advanced

Yeas, I traded the TTS in at 3,000 miles. I damaged the front splitter on the track one day ($1,800 list, so be careful) and it had Pagid racing pads, which they had to remove and revert to OEM. Needed new tires too. Even with those expenses deducted from the trade end, I didn't lose much on the TTS.

I loved the massive power of the TTS from very early on in the RPM range and of course, the Birmester could not be beat. Aesthetically, the extra wide body with the near horizontal flat fender look did not grow on me. Also, the rear of the car Sat way too high. The exhaust note sucked and I listened to all after market exhaust upgrades on Turbos (on the 997s) and while louder, none was pleasing. The main reason for trading it in was the track. Yes, fast as heck (very curious to see if the GT3 is as fast on our local track or not) but very heavy and didn't like getting tossed around much. The extra weight and the all wheel drive killed my from tires way too fast. I had to replace the outer front tire twice, in addition to a full set of tires after 5 or 6 track days.

While there appear to be no break-in period for the GT3, I didn't feel good tracking it today with 80 miles on it but am going this weekend. On the road, the GT3 is a hell of a machine. The PDK with no creep is different, in a great way. If you slowly feather the throttle from idle, it will sound and behave like you have the clutch halfway depressed for almost as long as you need to. If you need to move fast and hit the throttle accordingly, it will fully engage very quickly. Up to 3,500 RPM, the sound is Carrera like and gradually increases. I am only going to 7,000 for another 100 miles or so (200 already, been driving all day) and at this range, the car is starting to pull harder and gets louder. Way much better exhaust note than my 991 C4S with sport exhaust. The "fake" burble in the exhaust is not there which is a welcome finding. I drove with both suspension settings and in uneven roads, not comfortable. The soft setting feels like something in between soft and firm in the C4S, definitely something that I can live with.

The TTS was a great car but felt somewhat "synthetic". The 3 is refined raw (yes, am aware this is an oxymoron but this is the best descriptive I could think of). I m going for another ride and will check back later
A big congrats ! I hope you didn't get hurt too bad on the turbo. I had a 2011 & 2012 997 turbo s and lost about $23k on each with about 3500 miles on each. I agree with your synthetic description. Huge power!

The pdk-s "no creep" clutch feel is great. I love this car!! I'm looking forward to tracking mine someday soon. It's gonna be a long winter.

More driving impressions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bye Bye 991 TTS, welcome GT3