Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT3 = longer wheelbase ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/793232-gt3-longer-wheelbase.html)

RD16RR 12-31-2013 03:11 PM

GT3 = longer wheelbase ?

Sorry for my rookie style porsche behavior - but is there any truth to the matter that the gt3 lengthened the wheelbase thereby the motor would now be closer to the center of the car, making it feel a tad more like a mid-engined car ?

-- again, i apologize for being such a car rookie :icon107:

sgroer 12-31-2013 03:29 PM

Lengthened vs. What as the comparison? It is the same as the other 2014 911's. However , it is longer than. Previous generations.

malmasri 12-31-2013 04:10 PM

Yes behaves more like a midengine....i:e more predictable than the 997 model according to the reviews.

chuckbdc 12-31-2013 06:58 PM

All 991s have a 3.9 in longer wheelbase than 997s, including the GT3.

RD16RR 01-02-2014 10:36 AM

thanks - i was wondering how much sense it made, discussing it amongst fellow porsche addicts, in that it gives the car a more mid-engined feel

-- i understand the new RS will not have rear wheel steering (making it acceptable in various race series globally) - is that "too bad"....or "glad it isn't there" as it really is not that great of a feature to begin with ?

-- it seems to me (just a rookie average car driver) that the rear wheel steering enhancement, in hard cornering, would take a lot of pressure off the rear tires....and from the looks of what i've seen (you tube) make it corner "better"

-- how much of an idiot do i sound like ? :icon107:

green 01-02-2014 10:54 AM

All valid questions, that's why there's a forum. Stop self deprecating!

CAlexio 01-02-2014 12:53 PM

No one has confirmed no RWS for the RS. As porache developed this tech to improve handling, it is highly doubtful they would remove it for their top performance car. Also, the RS is not competitive in a racer series.. It's a track car so it doesn't need to comply with any spec. If you want to compete you get a stripped out car or a cup car.

RD16RR 01-02-2014 01:06 PM

i'm not competing - i'm just babbling for babbling sake while waiting for my allocation to pop up, i trust this doesn't offend anyone :) i am strictly a street guy - the only car track time i get, is the moment i leave the driveway....currently in an s2000

-- i did learn this morning from my dealer however, that the RS (is not supposed to have RWS, they said "will not have") - i guess until it is officially announced its just more babble....doesn't matter until we see the official news i guess.....

CAlexio 01-02-2014 01:26 PM

Anyone else heard this from their dealer?.. That sounds like the first creditable source on the RS RWS issue

RD16RR 01-02-2014 01:49 PM

"credible" ? absolutely...but i am just parroting what they said, and besides, knowing you like duc's i wouldn't misinform.....here is what i read in my email:

Subject: RE: From (name deleted) Porsche

Thanks Rob! Happy New Year to you too!

There WILL be a GT3 RS. I have one sold so far and you could be number two, I believe-I’ll check for you on Thursday when my Sales Manager returns. The RS is due in the fall of 2014. It will not have the rear wheel steering as it will be as close to a race car as possible….so they can enter it in various race series around the world.

Thank you for the order, too!

Mike in CA 01-02-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by RD16RR (Post 11019692)
"credible" ? absolutely...but i am just parroting what they said, and besides, knowing you like duc's i wouldn't misinform.....here is what i read in my email:

Subject: RE: From (name deleted) Porsche

Thanks Rob! Happy New Year to you too!

There WILL be a GT3 RS. I have one sold so far and you could be number two, I believe-I’ll check for you on Thursday when my Sales Manager returns. The RS is due in the fall of 2014. It will not have the rear wheel steering as it will be as close to a race car as possible….so they can enter it in various race series around the world.
Thank you for the order, too!

The RS may or may not have RWS, although personally I'm guessing it will. I don't think anyone who really knows is telling yet. Regardless, the note from the sales guy doesn't prove the case one way or another. Will the RS have stability control? ABS? Active suspension management? Of course it will. Yet AFAIK, none of those things are legal in any major race series Porsche races in.

There are many features that are present on the street version of a car, that are not allowed on the race version. RWS may be one of them. If Porsche decides not to put it on the RS it won't be because it's not allowed on the racer.

BTW, no apologies necessary!

FLM911 01-02-2014 02:33 PM

You can definately feel the longer wheelsbase and track in the 991 GT3 versus my 997.2 GT3. It does have the effect of shifting the weigh more to the center, what Im not sure on until getting on track is how much more RWS effects it.

I need to write a proper side by side, but initial feel is that the new GT3 makes you feel like a driving god versus what its like in the 997.2 GT3 where you have to work much harder for the same reward.

RD16RR 01-02-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 11019788)
The RS may or may not have RWS, although personally I'm guessing it will. I don't think anyone who really knows is telling yet. Regardless, the note from the sales guy doesn't prove the case one way or another. Will the RS have stability control? ABS? Active suspension management? Of course it will. Yet AFAIK, none of those things are legal in any major race series Porsche races in.

There are many features that are present on the street version of a car, that are not allowed on the race version. RWS may be one of them. If Porsche decides not to put it on the RS it won't be because it's not allowed on the racer.

BTW, no apologies necessary!

agreed...it is just babble, no matter who says what, until it becomes official from the factory.....even then, i'll only trust then verify :cool:

RD16RR 01-02-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by FLM911 (Post 11019807)
You can definately feel the longer wheelsbase and track in the 991 GT3 versus my 997.2 GT3. It does have the effect of shifting the weigh more to the center, what Im not sure on until getting on track is how much more RWS effects it.

I need to write a proper side by side, but initial feel is that the new GT3 makes you feel like a driving god versus what its like in the 997.2 GT3 where you have to work much harder for the same reward.

With all the talk and youtube clips the rws seems to be part of the equation of being a driving god....which is what many drivers ultimately want

For me, if it takes "work" out of the equation, all the better....its the whole point isn't it :icon107: invent things to do them better than before, and in this case, so it's easier to go faster, smoother, more consistently time and time again....without getting tired (from too much "work") :icon107: