Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991 GT3.2? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/792564-991-gt3-2-a.html)

Zero911 12-27-2013 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 11005889)
On the contrary... I do believe they did, if you swapped out the rear bumper fascia along with the lights.

That's the key to the dot one to dot two upgrade... make the new bits fit into the existing sheet metal. This way, very little -- if any -- of the car's substance, and more importantly, the manufacturing (tooling, jigs, fixtures, robots, etc.), has to change.

I was responding to Dude's comments where he was pointing out that it would be foolish to remold a new bumper (and I think he meant the bumper cover). That's in fact what they did between the 997.1 and 997.2 right? And thus it wasn't plug and play.

Z356 12-27-2013 02:34 PM

But is there going to even be a 991.2 gt3?

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 0Q991 (Post 11005216)
But is there going to even be a 991.2 GT3?

That is the right question to ask, no? I think some here are trying to ignore the 900 pound gorilla sitting in the corner of the 991 gt3 forum. Macca and others have brought it up. And here is the issue:

"Its quite possible this gen GT3 may be the last in the 991 series. Euro 6 emissions standards make the current GT3 costly for Porsche to produce from 01 Sept 2014 and also more expensive to register for the owner. Unfortunately it looks like the end is close for the naturally aspirated engine and we will see future 911s packing small capacity turbos and hybrid drivetrains!"

"P.S. I heard from a source close to PAG there will not be a Gen 2 GT3 in the 991 series and that the current GT3 will not be manufactured from 01 Sept. Apparently they will produce all 991 GT3RS variance before that date to beat the Euro 6 penalties. Apparently the debate on Euro 6 is drawing to a close and the Germans held out for more time but ended up winning some other concessions but not the time..."

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...aland-488.html

"As a point of interest its becoming increasingly likely that the 991 GT3 will complete production before September 2014 and this may be the last GT3 we see of this kind (NA engine etc). 991 RS production is slated to be very short indeed. In the UK RHD market dealers have returned deposits above and beyond the 250 unit allocation they have been given. Its not 100% clear yet but it seems the new Euro Emissions 6 rule which Porsche has signed up to (they were forced along with other german manufactures to when faced with an alternative proposal that saw cars limited in HP and VMax) will essentially kill the NA GT3 concept and at this time Porsche has no answer to that in its future GT range. A few in the know are speculating based on PAG insiders that there will not bet a Gen2 GT3. It seems that could be quite likely. What a shame, but no surprising, as Mike from CA and others have speculated in the last 12 montsh we could see turbo or hybrid in the future but also perhaps a step change game mover with a mid engine platform as basis for motorsport from 2016 onwards...all good for 991 GT3 owners but sad for Porsche enthusiasts as a whole - anyway it hasnt happened yet and is still purely speculation albeit with some input form company insiders....01 Sept 2014 is dealine for production off non compliant Euro Emissions 6 cars. If you think California is tough this new EU legislation is set to essentially bankrupt some smaller manufacturers with compliance and development costs!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post10989859

You can also follow this conversation at the following thread, starting with post #10 by Reidry.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-order.html

Facelift of the 991 - the .2 edition!

For anyone interested in the general direction that a .2 991 facelift might take in all 911-based models still in production in MY2016 (MY'15?) and beyond, I encourage you all to help out by ALSO posting your thoughts and clever photoshops over at this other 991 thread (link below) and let's have some fun in all the speculation. We can then have a handy place to compare what was ultimately changed/done when Porsche debuts the actual .2 991 facelift versus our savvy, astute predictions! Thanks in advance.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7919...-facelift.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Dude- 12-27-2013 02:39 PM

Thanks for the correction. I spoke too soon without thinking. Had this been a K car, the lights, bumper cover, and grill will fit from 1980's all the way up the the 1990. The Keys too. :)

Mike in CA 12-27-2013 03:15 PM

Oh, crap! You mean to say my 991.1 GT3 is dated before it's even been delivered? Get me on a list, GOT to have those new taillights...... :)

Zero911 12-27-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11005983)
That is the right question to ask, no? I think some here are trying to ignore the 900 pound gorilla sitting in the corner of the 991 gt3 forum. Macca and others have brought it up. And here is the issue:

"Its quite possible this gen GT3 may be the last in the 991 series. Euro 6 emissions standards make the current GT3 costly for Porsche to produce from 01 Sept 2014 and also more expensive to register for the owner. Unfortunately it looks like the end is close for the naturally aspirated engine and we will see future 911s packing small capacity turbos and hybrid drivetrains!"

You're right. I'm trying not to think about it :)

I see lots of possibilities here:
  • Rumor is false - someone on the other thread mentioned their registration states that their 991 GT3 is already Euro 6 compliant which kills this rumor
  • Rumor is true / next GT3 has a turbo (stated in the other thread) - could explain the RS test mules with vents on the side but in that case I don't quite understand what the main differentiator will be between the GT3 and GT2
  • Rumor is true / 991.2 GT3's engine and exhaust is altered - happened on the 997.2 turbo
  • Rumor is true / no more GT3s - ugh...

Mike in CA 12-27-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zero911 (Post 11006414)

• Rumor is false - someone on the other thread mentioned their registration states that their 991 GT3 is already Euro 6 compliant which kills this rumor
  • Rumor is true / next GT3 has a turbo (stated in the other thread) - could explain the RS test mules with vents on the side but in that case I don't quite understand what the main differentiator will be between the GT3 and GT2
  • Rumor is true / 991.2 GT3's engine and exhaust is altered - happened on the 997.2 turbo
  • Rumor is true / no more GT3s - ugh...

One more possibility and personally I think it may be sooner rather than later......GT3 hybrid. The 918 isn't just a one-off, it's a test bed for the future.

0Q991 12-27-2013 06:25 PM

+1.

Z356 12-27-2013 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Zero911 (Post 11006414)

Let's explore this first rumor:

Here is how Porsche advertises its only known Euro 6 complaint 911 model - the new 991 Turbo & Turbo S - on its official US website:

"On the other hand, the catalytic converters provide efficient emission control. The new 911 Turbo models already meet the conditions of the Euro 6 emission standard which will be compulsory for all new petrol-engine cars from September 2015.

The stereo Lambda control circuitry controls and monitors each cylinder bank separately. For each exhaust tract, oxygen sensors regulate the composition of the exhaust gas. While another Lambda sensor on each cylinder bank monitors pollutant conversion in the respective catalytic converter."

http://www22.porsche.com/usa/models/...ssion-control/

Here is how Porsche advertises the emissions on the MY2014 991 gt3 on its official US website:

"The new 911 GT3 meets the strict EU and LEV II standards. Vehicles manufactured by Porsche demonstrate that even high-performance sport cars can achieve moderate emission values in their respective category. This puts the new 911 GT3 among not only the most powerful sport cars of the future, but also the cleanest.

This has been accomplished not least by the two catalytic converters and stereo Lambda control circuits, which monitor each cylinder bank separately. For each exhaust tract, two Lambda sensors regulate the composition of the exhaust gas. Another Lambda sensor for each cylinder bank monitors pollutant conversion in the respective catalytic converter."

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...ssion-control/

Here is how Porsche UK advertises the emissions on the MY2014 991 gt3 at its official UK website:

"The new 911 GT3 meets the strict Euro 5 emission standard in the EU and LEV II in the USA. Vehicles manufactured by Porsche demonstrate that even high-performance sports cars can achieve moderate emission values in their respective category. This puts the new 911 GT3 among not only the most powerful sports cars of the future, but also the cleanest.

This has been accomplished not least by the two catalytic converters and stereo Lambda control circuits, which monitor each cylinder bank separately. For each exhaust tract, two Lambda sensors regulate the composition of the exhaust gas. Another Lambda sensor for each cylinder bank monitors pollutant conversion in the respective catalytic converter."

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...ssion-control/

Sounds similar...but there is not mention in neither the US nor UK Porsche gt3 website about that engine meeting the Euro 6 emissions standards! Euro 5...Yes. Euro 6...No. Significant?....Yes. Remember the old marketing axiom - if you have it, flaunt it! The fact Porsche is not mentioning its gt3 being Euro 6 compliant in neither Europe's nor its US website tells the story, especially when it's prominently mentioned on the 991 Turbo & Turbo S emissions page!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Nick 12-27-2013 07:32 PM

Eduardo, good catch!

Zero911 12-27-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11006507)

Here is how Porsche advertises its only known Euro 6 complaint 911 model - the new 991 Turbo & Turbo S - on its official US website:

"On the other hand, the catalytic converters provide efficient emission control. The new 911 Turbo models already meet the conditions of the Euro 6 emission standard which will be compulsory for all new petrol-engine cars from September 2015.

The stereo Lambda control circuitry controls and monitors each cylinder bank separately. For each exhaust tract, oxygen sensors regulate the composition of the exhaust gas. While another Lambda sensor on each cylinder bank monitors pollutant conversion in the respective catalytic converter."

http://www22.porsche.com/usa/models/...ssion-control/

Here is how Porsche advertises the emissions on the MY2014 991 gt3 on its official US website:

"The new 911 GT3 meets the strict EU and LEV II standards. Vehicles manufactured by Porsche demonstrate that even high-performance sport cars can achieve moderate emission values in their respective category. This puts the new 911 GT3 among not only the most powerful sport cars of the future, but also the cleanest.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...ssion-control/

Here is how Porsche UK advertises the emissions on the MY2014 991 gt3 at its official UK website:

"The new 911 GT3 meets the strict Euro 5 emission standard in the EU and LEV II in the USA. Vehicles manufactured by Porsche demonstrate that even high-performance sports cars can achieve moderate emission values in their respective category. This puts the new 911 GT3 among not only the most powerful sports cars of the future, but also the cleanest.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...ssion-control/

Sounds similar...but there is not mention in neither the US nor UK Porsche gt3 website about that engine meeting the Euro 6 emissions standards! Euro 5...Yes. Euro 6...No. Significant?....Yes. Remember the old marketing axiom - if you have it, flaunt it! The fact Porsche is not mentioning its gt3 being Euro 6 compliant in neither Europe's nor its US website tells the story, especially when it's prominently mentioned on the 991 Turbo & Turbo S emissions page!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Yup, those aren't good signs. :( But the thing that gives me hope is the comment from Anders on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...3-order-2.html

post #30. He's from Sweden and he says his registration papers says his 991 GT3 is Euro 6 compliant.

Zero911 12-27-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11006507)

"On the other hand, the catalytic converters provide efficient emission control. The new 911 Turbo models already meet the conditions of the Euro 6 emission standard which will be compulsory for all new petrol-engine cars from September 2015."

Is it September 2014 or September 2015? The above quote says '15?

Edit: nevermind... Wikipedia says Sept 2014.. the above quote must have a typo.

Z356 12-27-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zero911 (Post 11006746)
Is it September 2014 or September 2015? The above quote says '15?

Edit: nevermind... Wikipedia says Sept 2014.. the above quote must have a typo.

No, both of these dates are important. September-1-2014 is the date for mandated 'new type approvals'. The EC Directives also specify a second date — one year later — which applies to first registration (entry into service) of existing, previously type-approved vehicle models. That is why Porsche mentions September of 2015 in its notice. However, some like Macca are saying that the 9-1-2014 date will be of tremendous importance (to the gt3), so all of this needs to be further discussed and explained to us (the laymen) so we understand better what is going on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...sion_standards

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Zero911 12-27-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11006760)
No, both of these dates are important. September-1-2014 is the date for mandated 'new type approvals'. The EC Directives also specify a second date — one year later — which applies to first registration (entry into service) of existing, previously type-approved vehicle models. That is why Porsche mentions September of 2015 in its notice. However, some like Macca are saying that the 9-1-2014 date will be of tremendous importance (to the gt3), so all of this needs to be further discussed and explained to us (the laymen) so we understand better what is going on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...sion_standards

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks Eduardo for all the info! As of right now, US dealers seem to still be taking deposits so I guess we'll wait and see.

Daniel L 12-28-2013 03:51 AM

Am I missing something? According to that Wikipedia article, Euro 5 and Euro 6 emission standards for gasoline passenger vehicles are identical.

Zero911 12-28-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel L (Post 11007256)
Am I missing something? According to that Wikipedia article, Euro 5 and Euro 6 emission standards for gasoline passenger vehicles are identical.

In the other thread member Reidry said:

For pollutant gases this is true, however the Euro 6 regs add a particulate limit to gasoline engines similar to that already imposed on diesels.
Looking at the wikipedia article, there is a P*** column and the text above (and below) the table for passenger cars says the particulate number has not been defined yet but will be defined for Euro 6.

That said, I don't see why Porsche won't be able to comply with the GT3 as apparently someone on the other thread mentioned the new Lamborghini Huracan with its NA V10 is already Euro 6 compliant.