Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT3 Race Track Manual (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/792237-gt3-race-track-manual.html)

FLM911 12-24-2013 10:42 AM

GT3 Race Track Manual

Quick scan of the new racetrack use manual for the GT3. Has the setup and maintenance schedule included.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95...it?usp=sharing

(sorry alternate pages are upside down - tried to get the best quality from the scanner and it was the only way to get it to work)

Food for thought in here for sure.

911rox 12-24-2013 11:01 AM

No slicks allowed... Sad indeed.

Thanks for posting. At least they are now being more thorough with whats required or expected with track use...

FLM911 12-24-2013 11:11 AM

I suppose technically Hoosier R6 isn't a slick as its DOT approved although not recommended to be used on the road.

Hoopumpers 12-24-2013 11:14 AM

Thx for posting! So the only warranty voiding language I saw in there was around slicks, wheel sizing and maint intervals. I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?

DOT R Hoosiers would appear to pass this black and white warning then (if they are even available in stock sizes someday)

GrantG 12-24-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers (Post 11000131)
I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?

Nope. Although not confirmed, I think the RWS can't keep up with the huge forces created with slicks. My guess as to why the RS is going without RWS (and presumably with slicks allowed). Just a guess...

Nizer 12-24-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers (Post 11000131)
I'm assuming the 997 manual did not have a similar statement around slicks?

Nope. Straight up disclaimer that warranty was void with track use.

Kudos to Porsche for finally stepping up and aligning the GT3 warranty policy with their marketing.

0Q991 12-24-2013 12:11 PM

Whoa. No voiding of warranty with track use as long as you keep up with maintenance and tire guidelines???

Manifold 12-24-2013 12:14 PM

This is excellent, makes me more inclined to buy the car for track use. Some notes:

- They don't mention using racing brake fluid, but I'd certainly do that. And flush is needed no farther apart than every few events, so many times in 12 months if tracking often.

- They imply that the stock brake pads are adequate for track use. That would surprise me, unless the stock pads are quite different from typical street pads.

- My interpretation is that something like an R6 would be OK. But there may not be many tire options for this wheel size for quite a while.

- I like that the alignment is already set up to be a reasonable compromise between street and track, and that it's apparently easily adjusted.

- Replacement of parts on their schedule won't be cheap, but it's great that they provide a schedule.

- I've always taken air out of cold tires so that I'd wind up with the right hot pressures, and I've seen most everyone else doing that. But I give a few laps for the pressures to come up before really hammering it.

- Overall, this info increases my confidence that Porsche has done what it takes to make this car trackworthy, and stands behind that with warranty.

:thumbup:

FLM911 12-24-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 0Q991 (Post 11000267)
Whoa. No voiding of warranty with track use as long as you keep up with maintenance and tire guidelines???

As long as no mods either which is obvious I suppose.

consolidated 12-24-2013 12:16 PM

Good news for GT3 owners.

0Q991 12-24-2013 12:23 PM

@FLM911 -- Thanks for posting, great info. Granted, it makes waiting for my March delivery more difficult...but it's a great problem to have. :)

Dr.Bill 12-24-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 11000189)
Nope. Straight up disclaimer that warranty was void with track use.

Kudos to Porsche for finally stepping up and aligning the GT3 warranty policy with their marketing.

This supplement does not mention any warranty policy at all. It's just the required service, maintenance, and inspection intervals for track use, should you assume that risk.

The primary manual would have warranty information. Wonder what that says? Although I have an idea.

I think this supplement makes it imperative to keep meticulous records of any track use to document compliance. Now it's just too easy for them to say - of course the wheel fell off, you didn't follow the protocol.

Manifold 12-24-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 11000308)
This supplement does not mention any warranty policy at all. It's just the required service, maintenance, and inspection intervals for track use, should you assume that risk.

The primary manual would have warranty information. Wonder what that says? Although I have an idea.

I think this supplement makes it imperative to keep meticulous records of any track use to document compliance. Now it's just too easy for them to say - of course the wheel fell off, you didn't follow the protocol.

That doesn't make sense to me. Porsche can't offer specific guidelines on proper track use of the car, including being specific about what's not permitted, and then not warranty that use. But I agree with the need to keep meticulous records to document compliance (shouldn't be a big deal, just keep a log and receipts).

Mike in CA 12-24-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 11000308)

"The main objective here is to help you insure that your GT3 remains in good technical condition at all times, including during driving on the race circuit.
Under certain circumstances the warranty may be voided if these aspects are not taken into consideration.
"

The direct implication of the wording is that if the additional service aspects ARE followed, the warranty will remain in force. A big step up from the previous "track events will void the warranty" language and very welcome news.

Nick 12-24-2013 02:34 PM

Just let the dealer do all the servicing of the car and there is little Porsche can claim to void the warranty.