Sponsored by:

The 991GT3 Center Lock Procedure & "Auxiliary Tool"

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So as you need a platform due to the high torque forces, then is it impossible to change a flat tire on the side of the road using a regular jack?

Are you SOL if you get a flat tire in this car? Can you use some kind of tire filler gel to get to destination safely if not slowly?
You're pretty much SOL if you get a flat, and have been for quite a while with all Porsche sports cars, as there's no spare in the car to change to anyway. They give you a small compressor and tire goo. Or there's Porsche RSA.....
Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

So as you need a platform due to the high torque forces, then is it impossible to change a flat tire on the side of the road using a regular jack?

Are you SOL if you get a flat tire in this car? Can you use some kind of tire filler gel to get to destination safely if not slowly?
I think you can do it, if you are traveling with a passenger who can apply the brake pedal with the engine running while you un-torque and torque the wheel (if you are traveling with a huge breaker bar or torque muliplier and a spare).

Otherwise the gel works on a small hole that is not in the sidewall.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So basically, traveling alone through relatively desolate areas where a tow truck could take hrs to arrive (or longer) without a passenger is. Huge gamble in a Porsche with center locks?.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

So basically, traveling alone through relatively desolate areas where a tow truck could take hrs to arrive (or longer) without a passenger is. Huge gamble in a Porsche with center locks?.
Yes, but as others have said, no new Porsche sports cars come with a spare tire (so you're not much more SOL than an owner of a 5-lug setup).
Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, but as others have said, no new Porsche sports cars come with a spare tire (so you're not much more SOL than an owner of a 5-lug setup).
Except that Discount Tire (or whatever non-Porsche tire place) will have no problem dealing with 5-lug wheels. Assuming they have the huge tires required. Not sure how many tire places will have a 4-foot long torque wrench, or a 4-foot long breaker bar, etc.

Just don't get a flat. Or use the car on a track. Or try to service the tires or brakes yourself. Or. . .
Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Oh boy... There goes my around the world in a gt3 blog idea.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy... There goes my around the world in a gt3 blog idea.
Spare Wheels on the roof, a truck brake pedal depressor and your all set!!! Could be a good look, old school style.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by FLM911
Spare Wheels on the roof, a truck brake pedal depressor and your all set!!! Could be a good look, old school style.
Somebody please photoshop a gt3 into that LOL
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have worked with German engineers for many years. They crack me up. This is very typical. They make something that should be so simple this complicated.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

they do come with spares. that's why they made cayenne, aka support vehicle.
it carries tires, parts, blankets and junk food.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You just have to put it out of your mind or you would never have fun in these cars. I just completed 350km in the mountains and also 700km of back roads in Italy and would never have ventured around the villages in the hills if I kept thinking of the "maybes". You have to just take it by the scruff of the neck and shake it sometimes!

That said the possibility was always top of mind (and still is). A breaker bar can often be found with a truckie as they need then to torque wheel nuts. Getting a new MPSC2 tyre if ts too bad to repair would be my main concern....
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverrules
I have worked with German engineers for many years. They crack me up. This is very typical. They make something that should be so simple this complicated.
NO offense against German engineers
I am one and I following Rennlist - as many other German (engineers) as well

Well I guess this is also better than taking short cuts ......

Peter
Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I appreciate that you used extra emoticons just in case we misunderstood your intentions due to your German accent.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

These German engineers are dumbarses... They suggest having a second set of bolts on hand for wheel changes yet all items have a km life... So are we suppose to keep logs on each individual component???... in reality, because different axles have different service lives, you can't even move bolts front to back, using additional bolts as many of us 997 guys did causes further issues, knowing when to time them out, etc, etc...

They've made life really difficult when tracking...

Some advice for those tracking:
- ensure your bolts remain on the same hub/axle from day one
- avoid running multiple sets of bolts concurrently unless you plan to keep a log on each bolt or risk losing track of when they need to be timed out...

ps. What is the timeout schedule for track use for the 991 per the manual for front/rear axles???
Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris from memory the replacent is 6000 track km one axle ana 12 the other. Its in the suplement called 1eacing with the handbook in my car in the valet at The Hermitage in Monte Carlo so it cannot check. Always wanted to say that all in the same sentence as it sounds so James Bond. ? Burger in this joint is 50usd lol! I think we will have dinner at the salvation army shelter maybe a four course with turkey1 We are only here for Xmas then off to St tropez to find some more driving roads...I will be putting flat tyres at the back of my ming again!

Quick Reply: The 991GT3 Center Lock Procedure & "Auxiliary Tool"