Sponsored by:

Alright. I'll admit it. I'm taking delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright. I'll admit it. I'm taking delivery

Of my GT3 in, hopefully, fewer than 8 weeks. But, I'm on the list for the RS as well.

If it really is an engineering tour de force, I'll sell the GT3 and buy the RS.

In mexico blue, please. (OK maybe gulf blue)

Anyone else in the same boat? I mean, hedging your bets?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much... have a Q3 gt3 allocation. Solid dealer promised in writing I have first right of refusal on RS. If the numbers are right, that's the way I'll go. Difference here is I won't take a gt3 delivery that late. I'll wait for the RS.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Sounds like a killer plan Frayed? I am sure you can sell the GT3 w/o much loss except the tax of course. I am on the RS list as well and should be able to get it but I am undecided until specs are released. My familly think I have completly lost it, LOL We shall see. Undecided at this point in time.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same boat
Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Frayed, if your mind is set on PTS and RS, why not cancel the GT3 order and have the dealer apply the deposit toward RS? This way you dont lose any money and don't have to go through the selling procerss. Most likely RS will be here in a few months so we are talking only few months difference. Personally, I dont care for selling process.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

So frayed (and others), are you hedging a bet that the GT3 won't be enough car for your needs? Or do you think you really want an RS but are concerned that it might not prove to be worth the added cost or suitable for the street? Or do you want an RS and just need/want something new to play with in the meantime?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So frayed (and others), are you hedging a bet that the GT3 won't be enough car for your needs? Or do you think you really want an RS but are concerned that it might not prove to be worth the added cost or suitable for the street? Or do you want an RS and just need/want something new to play with in the meantime?
the .2 RS was a value compared to the .2 gt3, given the shorter gearing, seats, standard DEMs, wide body, wider track, tires, 15hp, single mass FW, etc...

It sounds like that may not be the case with the 991. However, I still want one because it's hardcore. If I feel the price isn't too out of whack, that's the route I'll likely go.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm in the opposite boat. I'm one of "those" people that is happy the new GT3 is a better DD. I plan to drive the crap out of mine all the time, take trips with it, etc.....and go to the track 4-5 times a year.

The 991 RS is shaping up to be such a focused track weapon compared to previous versions, and I want a car that does more than just that. Plus I'm not sure how they are justifying the extra cost. The GT3 is a much bigger leap in performance from a 911S than the RS would be from a GT3, (based on what info we have on the RS)

Last edited by Drifting; 12-22-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

E Aho Laula, Wider is Better - the spy shots of the 991 GT3 RS show the wider Turbo body shell. In general I really like big flared fenders, but retaining those giant intake openings on the rear fenders just upsets the lines.

The 991 GT3 RS may turn out to be the most formidable track weapon yet, but it just doesn't have the beautiful lines of the 991 GT3. The 991 GT3 lines and styling cues are in just such perfect proportions. The body is at once classic and modern.

For me it will be a GT3 in my garage.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

and given the low allocations of gt3s, what are my chances of even getting an RS? my dealer in Austin got maybe 4 GT3s, so what does that translate to in terms of RS allocations? 1?

Better be more than just on a list, better be number 1 or 2 right?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if you currently have nothing, the RS is too far out to wait. Nab the new GT3.
Actually, if you already own a sports coupe and the new PDK high RPM GT3 is your ideal car, then life is too short to wait for it in RS trim!

The new 991 has got to be bananas! I wanna try one really bad!!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:02 AM
markow
Racer

i have signed a precontract for an RS which gives me the first GT3 RS allocation of the dealer (he will get one in total). it can be converted into a full fledged contract within 10 days of the announcement of the car.
however i am already wondering whether it will be too hardcore for my kind of driving (only road but mostly fun trips).
peter
Old 12-22-2013, 11:16 AM
frayed
Race Car

Here's my thought. The GT3 is likely exactly what I need to fit the bill. However, if the RS is really a beast, I'll naturally want one (besides the fact that I've never had an RS).

However, there are several flies in the GT3 ointment that may dictate a different direction away from the GT3:

- PDK, never had one of these and while convinced I'll love it on track and perhaps under hard charging on back roads as Macca states, day to day PDK life might prove underwhelming. I just don't know to be frank. I think it'll take a few months of ownership to figure this out. Will the modified box in the RS take it up a level?

- 9k RPM. I'm sure its spine tingling but not usable on the street for the most part so I wonder whether it has that tq rise in the midrange that's satisfying under normal spirited driving. Not expecting a midrange bump in the RS but the next point is more important:

- a chassis so buttoned down that it may prove to be too drama free under normal street driving, or even spirited street driving.

I'm convinced on track it will be a blast, but realistically given demands on my time I'm probably limited to 6 track weekends a year unless I join one of the local clubs so I can do half days midweek and stuff.

So, if the GT3 is just too refined to be exciting on street, then I'd consider another car. The natural choice would be the RS depending on specs. I don't care about the widebody, and have always found the RS rear wings to be even more gaudy than the GT3's, it's about intensity of driving experience.

Because of the delays associated with PTS for the GT3, and b/c there is some risk that the GT3 is just 'too engineered' to hold long term, I felt guards was the way to go. I give keeping the GT3 long term 70% odds if I'm being realistic. But this is coming from someone who bought a new sports car every year for 7 years in a row (till I started fishing offshore). I no longer jump into a car thinking 'this is it, my last car!' I used to think that but history tells me otherwise.

I'm probably nuts but you only go around once.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

The reality is very few of us can get the maximum performance out of the GT3. With an RS even fewer still. When you consider the disadvantages of the RS compared to the GT3 (30-35% more expensive and usability) it is difficult to justify the purchase.

That said, buying a car is rarely a rational choice. More often than not, it is the heart that is making the decision.

Personally, I would put a deposit down on the 960 mid-engine Porsche rumored to being developed.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
Here's my thought. The GT3 is likely exactly what I need to fit the bill. However, if the RS is really a beast, I'll naturally want one (besides the fact that I've never had an RS).

However, there are several flies in the GT3 ointment that may dictate a different direction away from the GT3:

- PDK, never had one of these and while convinced I'll love it on track and perhaps under hard charging on back roads as Macca states, day to day PDK life might prove underwhelming. I just don't know to be frank. I think it'll take a few months of ownership to figure this out. Will the modified box in the RS take it up a level?

- 9k RPM. I'm sure its spine tingling but not usable on the street for the most part so I wonder whether it has that tq rise in the midrange that's satisfying under normal spirited driving. Not expecting a midrange bump in the RS but the next point is more important:

- a chassis so buttoned down that it may prove to be too drama free under normal street driving, or even spirited street driving.

I'm convinced on track it will be a blast, but realistically given demands on my time I'm probably limited to 6 track weekends a year unless I join one of the local clubs so I can do half days midweek and stuff.

So, if the GT3 is just too refined to be exciting on street, then I'd consider another car. The natural choice would be the RS depending on specs. I don't care about the widebody, and have always found the RS rear wings to be even more gaudy than the GT3's, it's about intensity of driving experience.

Because of the delays associated with PTS for the GT3, and b/c there is some risk that the GT3 is just 'too engineered' to hold long term, I felt guards was the way to go. I give keeping the GT3 long term 70% odds if I'm being realistic. But this is coming from someone who bought a new sports car every year for 7 years in a row (till I started fishing offshore). I no longer jump into a car thinking 'this is it, my last car!' I used to think that but history tells me otherwise.

I'm probably nuts but you only go around once.
I understand, but as we know any GT3 is basically un-exploitable on the street. not so sure I am going to really miss a manual as much as initially suspected, from what I hear about PDK-S and how well matched it is to this engine. The chassis tautness, engine sounds, responsiveness, etc. will keep this car as fun as the previous gen. (on the street) imo.

For me, I'd rather have any GT3 in PDK-S over any C2S with a stick. The GT3 will always be far more fun to me even if never tracking either car.

Quick Reply: Alright. I'll admit it. I'm taking delivery