Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HomeBuilt 991 GT3 with manual?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
BTW, if the rumors that the RS will have a true sequential with a clutch pedal (only needed to get underway or for more gentle downshifts) does come to fruition, would this satisfy those of you who want an H-pattern manual 3-pedal car? I'm not sure it would do it for me, but sounds interesting enough to try it!
Probably wouldn't cut it for me, no.

I don't think it will be too hard to retrofit a 6 or 7 speed manual to the GT3, but I agree with others that say wait. Someone will do this (offer a kit or sell a complete car) sooner or later, and it will probably be a better and/ or cheaper total solution than going it alone.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL at calexio. WTF ming? Oh, I see 1.30 AM in SF covered in fog. It'll do weird things to a man.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

calexio and frayed are my heros
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
LOL at calexio. WTF ming? Oh, I see 1.30 AM in SF covered in fog. It'll do weird things to a man.
Recovering from surgery.. Pain meds bring out my most humorous and honest side. Don't get me started on Mike's red car with yellow pccb...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have been begging to be asked to do something like this. It depends on whether or not you will ever feel like you have GT3 power if you start with a 9A1 991 spec Power Kit version motor and use bolt-ons to try and make up the 45hp difference. I think that with an ECU flash, headers, pulleys and high flow filters you could get awful close and still be at $10K max with parts and labor. The single biggest thing that you would not be able to overcome is that you don't have the wider rear quarter panels. You could easily get the suspension there by bolting whatever parts to it. If you started with a base 991 S, you would be at $100K for the donor car new.

For over a year I have hoped that there would be a niche of 991 owners driving 7-speed manual cars because they can't have one in GT3 form. The single biggest problem is that any GT3 purist will ridicule our not using the blessed architecture. I have no idea if it's possible but you could do some homework as to whether or not you could bolt a 996 Cup transmission if it had the same bell housing pattern but then you're hacking up a work of art in the GT3.

I would think that it would be better to bolt stuff to a 991 S than it would be to hack up the GT3.
IMO, even more exciting would be a new GT3 motor transplant into a new, manual transmission Cayman, with appropriate suspension and aero mods. An instructor at my local track has a 3.8L Cayman (previous generation) with Interseries aero and suspension upgrades – a real no-expense-spared conversion and upgrade. It’s fast and looks fantastic, and always draws attention no matter how many other cars are out there. Starting with a car that has a manual transmission to begin with should avoid some of the electronic integration issues. And since the Cayman shares the same 9A1 block now used by the 991 GT3, it should bolt right up to the existing transmission flange. Besides having the advantages of a mid-engine layout, less weight, more compact overall dimensions but advantageously longer wheelbase than a 991, I’ve read the Cayman also has a real H-pattern manual, unlike the dumbed-down-PDK in the new 991. But I would imagine the cost of the engine alone would make the project prohibitive.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

A 2800lb 2014 cayman with a GT3 engine and 6 speed manual would make a lot of sence.
But that's assuming the 6 sipped bolts right up and can take 475HP.

It would be a real drivers car! But to make the price acceptable it likely would need to be in a 991 body.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
IMO, even more exciting would be a new GT3 motor transplant into a new, manual transmission Cayman, with appropriate suspension and aero mods. An instructor at my local track has a 3.8L Cayman (previous generation) with Interseries aero and suspension upgrades – a real no-expense-spared conversion and upgrade. It’s fast and looks fantastic, and always draws attention no matter how many other cars are out there. Starting with a car that has a manual transmission to begin with should avoid some of the electronic integration issues. And since the Cayman shares the same 9A1 block now used by the 991 GT3, it should bolt right up to the existing transmission flange. Besides having the advantages of a mid-engine layout, less weight, more compact overall dimensions but advantageously longer wheelbase than a 991, I’ve read the Cayman also has a real H-pattern manual, unlike the dumbed-down-PDK in the new 991. But I would imagine the cost of the engine alone would make the project prohibitive.
Hopefully John from BGB can chime in, because he's mentioned doing exactly that. Putting a GT3 motor in a manual Cayman, and then doing the essential race upgrades. The GT3 motor is crazy expensive. The 400hp 911 engine only cost $13,000, however.

If you are a manual guy and want a dedicated track car, I think that putting in a 911 or 911 X51 variant engine in a regular cayman is a bargain and would make a great track car with a light frame and mid-engine handling. I believe john said he could put a 3.8L 400hp 911 engine in a cayman for around $20-25,000, depending on a few race upgrades. If you start with a brand new cayman, that's a nice car for low $70,000. If you buy a 3 yr old cayman, you could have that light mid-engine manual cayman track car with 400hp 911 engine for closer to $50,000.

John from BGB could give you better specifics.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Recovering from surgery.. Pain meds bring out my most humorous and honest side. Don't get me started on Mike's red car with yellow pccb...
And here I was just about to offer you a heartfelt "get better soon"....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HomeBuilt 991 GT3 with manual?