Sponsored by:

Cars are on US soil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Ok, compared to the 991 at legal speeds, I didn't feel a big difference in the steering or the paddle shifting.
I understand that this was at legal speeds. But it still depresses me a bit to hear it. Chris Harris and also the folks at EVO described both the steering and PDK of the GT3 as miles ahead of the standard 991.

Will be interested to hear your report after driving the GT3 in anger
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with most, but not all of this. GT3 is an incredible deal at $130,000. It becomes less of one, the further you get from 130. Agree that you "stick it to Porsche" if you don't overly option the car, as they make much more profit on highly optioned cars. A Guards Red GT3, with all the free options plus red set belts and the speakers you must buy with the free PCM, would be the most amazing deal out there as the car would look sick, only cost $131,000 and you could sell it for 140K the next day. For my Guards Red GT3, I'm still on the fence about stitching because I'm not getting leather without deviated stitching. I'm not sure how important all leather is for a GT3 as it adds weight. Most my purist racing friends don't even have full leather on their 911s, let alone a GT3. I don't care if the dash is leather as long as the seats and steering wheel come in leather as they are in the GT3 for no extra $. The red stitching looks great and I still think it looks great on a Guards red car. The stitching is still classy and understated. It's not like you're getting red leather seats in your red car. On your other point, I agree the PDLS black headlights would look good on a red GT3. From a stick it to porsche perspective, if you get PDLS by itself, the metal accents around the headlights are noticeably darker than they are on headlights without PDLS (check them on maccas car which has PDLS, but not black headlights). This gets you most of the way to black, achieving the darker headlight look for less.

Thanks for the persepctive.. Yes, i forgot to mention the stereo you're right. Maybe leather isn't that improtant.. But as it adds more alcantara on A pillars and lower dash, I feel like for $3k it's in line with the cost from other brands. Good info on the grey pdls rings by the way, I'll check into that. Last question mark was the auto dimming and rain sensor option.. But as it never rains in NorCal, and I'm going to tint windows slightly.. I don't think I'll get that either. My gti vr6 had this stuff for free when I was in college.. I'm not gifting Porsche $700 for something so basic. Eff 'em! id also forgotten the front lift.. I have to get it based in where I live, but that's a dead horse conversation at this point ;-). I cannot wait for this car.. I do think it's an exceptional deal when correctly specced.. And I believe I'm reaching a level of certainty regarding the details so if I get the call from Sonnen that my date to place order has arrived, it will take me 30 seconds to let them know what I want.

Ps: red stitching looks amazing... It could go ether way for me, but I'm trying to pare the options down to the limit of my happiness ;-)
Old 12-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Thanks for the persepctive. Last question mark was the auto dimming and rain sensor option.. But as it never rains in NorCal, and I'm going to tint windows slightly..

Ps: red stitching looks amazing... It could go ether way for me, but I'm trying to pare the options down to the limit of my happiness ;-)
I don't think the auto dimming/rain sensor is worth it. I have it on my 3 year old Porsche and it doesn't work that well. It doesn't time the wipers as well as I can by just adjusting the ole analog lever, and the auto dimming is not as effective as a regular analog switch on your rear view.
(I'm not forty yet, but that sentence sounded older.......)

The red stitching really does look great. That is a hard decision, particularly for me as it's all or nothing with the leather. I will get the deviated red stitching or just the regular partial leather interior. For me, red stitching is a $4,800 decision.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

For me, red stitching is a $4,800 decision.
...and don't they know it... Sly little fokkers
Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think the auto dimming/rain sensor is worth it. I have it on my 3 year old Porsche and it doesn't work that well. It doesn't time the wipers as well as I can by just adjusting the ole analog lever, and the auto dimming is not as effective as a regular analog switch on your rear view.

The red stitching really does look great. That is a hard decision, particularly for me as it's all or nothing with the leather. I will get the deviated red stitching or just the regular partial leather interior. For me, red stitching is a $4,800 decision.
I hear what you're saying about the wipers/mirrors. Of course the dimming works on the side view mirrors too and I hate being blinded by inconsiderate drivers or poorly aimed headlights so I ordered it.

If you can't live with the silver stitching then getting leather and red stitching is an expensive proposition. In my case it would have been even more expensive since I would have wanted darker trim to go with that red/leather combo. Tough 1st world decisions but I do think the "full" leather is a nice upgrade; make yourself happy.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

beautiful cars guys! enjoy!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Had time to kill this am, so I searched the inventory of every CA dealer for GT3s. There are a LOT! The interesting take-aways were:

Nearly everyone chose white (there were a few reds and 1 GT silver)

PCCBs were nearly default

Red stitching was extremely popular

Front lift is a must

Circle in Long Beach shows 4. I called, just in case one car fell thru. No such luck, all are sold. Sure wish they'd show that in the listings.
I know my dealer web site is outdated when it comes to the specs listed for each car. They post the original build on their web site and do not change it ever-time we change the spec. My spec is completely out of date on their web site.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
silverrules
Drifting

I see the guards red (to be owners) are showing off their guards red selection while the white color owners are staying quite. Have you noticed the same, LOL ?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vocal minority. 80% will be produced in white.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
Vocal minority. 80% will be produced in white.
True Frayed
Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But it's well publicized that red gets the hot motors. As it should be.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I see the guards red (to be owners) are showing off their guards red selection while the white color owners are staying quite. Have you noticed the same, LOL ?
Well heck yeah, the white crowd has been (justifiably) braggin' on their cars for quite a while now; time for your poor red brothers to have a turn! And yes, the red cars do get the best motors.....
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I would never have considered getting a red car,until I saw that picture.

Wow, that looks so nice!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

My logic for dimming mirrors was that I often drive back from the track the same day, and have to drive for hours in the dark, already tired from a track day. So not having to endure the glare is important. Auto-dimming helps a lot in my BMW.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My logic for dimming mirrors was that I often drive back from the track the same day, and have to drive for hours in the dark, already tired from a track day. So not having to endure the glare is important. Auto-dimming helps a lot in my BMW.
But have you optioned for Porsche auto-dimming? My point was that auto-dimming doesn't work that well in my fairly new 3 yr old porsche, so I'm not going to pay for it in the GT3.

If it works well like in your BMW, then I would pay for it in the Porsche.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-20-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: Cars are on US soil