Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cars are on US soil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I know a dealer with an unclaimed GT3 that they will ask $40k over list for.
Maybe P. T. Barnum was right. . .
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM
TonyGTS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Ok, compared to the 991 at legal speeds, I didn't feel a big difference in the steering or the paddle shifting. Starting from a dead stop, the transmission is interesting in that it it just sits in neutral, just as if you had a clutch depressed. It doesn't creep like other PDK's or, should I say it, automatics. It engages gradually, just as if you properly engaged a clutch. I took a couple of corners at moderate speed and the car stayed very flat, just like my 991 with PDCC. The ride is surprisingly good. Very firm, but comfortable.

All in all, the car doesn't feel like an untamed beast, but a well engineered machine that, I suspect, will have limits well beyond my ability to appreciate.
tmg57, the GT3 paddle shift is different from the Carreras' in that the travel is shorter and the effort heavier. But it does not feel obviously different from the paddle shifts in your 991? Also, have you tried releasing the clutch by simultaneously pulling on both paddles? Thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Well I just want to get my car for whats on the build sheet. I called all over country last spring, and flew out to the dealer. I didn't expect any funny business till I started reading the forums. I've had on opportunity cost of parking my search after giving the deposit. I'm sure I'm fine, my sales person is awesome. If i'm treated unfair, I'll reciprocate. LOL.. I'll start with buying a used MP12 and drive it thru the dealership front window.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen an untitled Porsche in recent years with a mark up. It is my understanding that Porsche frowns on that practice. I have seen GT3's and other exclusive Porsche models with barely a few hundred miles titled marked up and sold as used cars by dealers. Porsche controls a lot of what the dealer can do including the look of the show rooms. If you notice dealers are not allowed to have showrooms combined with other car brands.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by skuplist
I have never seen an untitled Porsche in recent years with a mark up. It is my understanding that Porsche frowns on that practice. I have seen GT3's and other exclusive Porsche models with barely a few hundred miles titled marked up and sold as used cars by dealers. Porsche controls a lot of what the dealer can do including the look of the show rooms. If you notice dealers are not allowed to have showrooms combined with other car brands.
Frown on it v. taking action are two different things.

That said, as for titled cars, there was already talk of some of the 918 buyers flipping their cars back to the dealer after taking delivery, so they can be more easily marked up by the dealer. Not sure if this is actually true or not, but certainly a rumor.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:09 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
Frown on it v. taking action are two different things.

That said, as for titled cars, there was already talk of some of the 918 buyers flipping their cars back to the dealer after taking delivery, so they can be more easily marked up by the dealer. Not sure if this is actually true or not, but certainly a rumor.
I agree but I think the way they get around Porsche restrictions they get titled as used cars.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:19 PM
TonyGTS
Track Day

Yes, I know a Ferrari dealership that does exactly that. The manufacturer has no restrictions or say on the pricing of used vehicles.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Had time to kill this am, so I searched the inventory of every CA dealer for GT3s. There are a LOT! The interesting take-aways were:

Nearly everyone chose white (there were a few reds and 1 GT silver)

PCCBs were nearly default

Red stitching was extremely popular

Front lift is a must

Circle in Long Beach shows 4. I called, just in case one car fell thru. No such luck, all are sold. Sure wish they'd show that in the listings.
even cars that are ordered and sold hit the dealer's website through the PCNA sites. Just because they are on the site does not mean they are available.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyGTS
tmg57, the GT3 paddle shift is different from the Carreras' in that the travel is shorter and the effort heavier. But it does not feel obviously different from the paddle shifts in your 991? Also, have you tried releasing the clutch by simultaneously pulling on both paddles? Thanks
Yes, the paddles have a little heavier and shorter pull than the 991 but, as a practical matter, it doesn't make much difference. I have not tried pulling both paddles to release the clutch, but I'm pretty sure it does that. If I find out otherwise, I'll let you know.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Yes, the paddles have a little heavier and shorter pull than the 991 but, as a practical matter, it doesn't make much difference. I have not tried pulling both paddles to release the clutch, but I'm pretty sure it does that. If I find out otherwise, I'll let you know.
Interesting. From what I've read, you pull in both paddles, floor it, and let them out, ---the PDK knows your trying to be an a-hole, so it shifts down 1 from what ever gear your currently in during paddle engagement, so your basically tearing it up on paddle release. -I might have to practice on xBox before mine comes in.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

But apparently you don't need the paddles to do this on an S, let alone a GT3.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
even cars that are ordered and sold hit the dealer's website through the PCNA sites. Just because they are on the site does not mean they are available.
Sorry for any confusion on your part... as yes, I clearly meant exactly that. I did note, however, that some dealers actually add the word "sold" to the listing on the inventory page. That makes it so much easier to sort out what's available from what's not.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I tried both at the LA show. There was a 991 convertible parked next to the GT3. Big difference in the feel of the paddles.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
But apparently you don't need the paddles to do this on an S, let alone a GT3.

Ouch! Why is that dude so angry with his tires?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good synergy with red as taillights and calipers already match... The black headlights also complement the black accents like the lower spoiler. Not sure if guards needs any red accents on interior though.. Maybe one should conspicuously avoid any red on the interior, and focus on making interior very sober, with silver seatbelts to match silver stitching and silver aluminum trim. I may end up heading this direction also from a cost perspective (or a sticking it to Porsche perspective).. : Red is free, silver stitching doesn't cost me $1500.. aluminum trim is free, matching red rear lights are free. From an aesthetic perspective I can add black headlights, silver belts and leather and I have a perfectly matched car
Agree with most, but not all of this. GT3 is an incredible deal at $130,000. It becomes less of one, the further you get from 130. Agree that you "stick it to Porsche" if you don't overly option the car, as they make much more profit on highly optioned cars.

A Guards Red GT3, with all the free options plus red set belts and the speakers you must buy with the free PCM, would be the most amazing deal out there as the car would look sick, only cost $131,000 and you could sell it for 140K the next day.

For my Guards Red GT3, I'm still on the fence about stitching because I'm not getting leather without deviated stitching. I'm not sure how important all leather is for a GT3 as it adds weight. Most my purist racing friends don't even have full leather on their 911s, let alone a GT3.
I don't care if the dash is leather as long as the seats and steering wheel come in leather as they are in the GT3 for no extra $.

The red stitching looks great and I still think it looks great on a Guards red car. The stitching is still classy and understated. It's not like you're getting red leather seats in your red car.

On your other point, I agree the PDLS black headlights would look good on a red GT3. From a stick it to porsche perspective, if you get PDLS by itself, the metal accents around the headlights are noticeably darker than they are on headlights without PDLS (check them on maccas car which has PDLS, but not black headlights). This gets you most of the way to black, achieving the darker headlight look for less.

Quick Reply: Cars are on US soil