Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Cars are on US soil (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/790749-cars-are-on-us-soil.html)

CAlexio 12-20-2013 02:31 PM

Interesting that pccb was default.. Not surprising front lift was.

0Q991 12-20-2013 02:35 PM

Are any unspoken for? Aka dealer allocations that are loaded to the gills?

Mike in CA 12-20-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 10992069)
Had time to kill this am, so I searched the inventory of every CA dealer for GT3s. There are a LOT! The interesting take-aways were:

Nearly everyone chose white (there were a few reds and 1 GT silver)

PCCBs were nearly default

Red stitching was extremely popular

Front lift is a must

Circle in Long Beach shows 4. I called, just in case one car fell thru. No such luck, all are sold. Sure wish they'd show that in the listings.

Very interesting. When you say a lot, do you mean a lot of Porsche dealers or a lot of inventory of GT3's? I assume the cars you surveyed are dealer spec cars. Just curious...

sechsgang 12-20-2013 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10992123)
Very interesting. When you say a lot, do you mean a lot of Porsche dealers or a lot of inventory of GT3's? I assume the cars you surveyed are dealer spec cars. Just curious...

They have to be...they will still show up in inventory but wont be available for sale.

Dr.Bill 12-20-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 10992069)
Had time to kill this am, so I searched the inventory of every CA dealer for GT3s. There are a LOT! The interesting take-aways were:

Nearly everyone chose white (there were a few reds and 1 GT silver)

PCCBs were nearly default

Red stitching was extremely popular

Front lift is a must

Circle in Long Beach shows 4. I called, just in case one car fell thru. No such luck, all are sold. Sure wish they'd show that in the listings.

These are most likely customer orders. They still show up on the web site, even before they arrive. I don't think dealers got any 'spec' cars that weren't specifically ordered.

Serge944 12-20-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 0Q991 (Post 10992109)
Are any unspoken for? Aka dealer allocations that are loaded to the gills?

Walters Porsche ordered a couple cars like that...MSRPs in the 160s.

Mike in CA 12-20-2013 03:20 PM

I should have been more clear. Probably not the correct use of the term but by spec cars I mean cars that were allocated to dealers but not made available for customer order. Instead the dealers "spec'd" those allocations themselves for showroom sales.

skuplist 12-20-2013 03:30 PM

I would really be surprised that dealers have cars with no specific customers. I think every allocation has been spoken for with a wait list for cars that might open up with a customer not taking delivery for whatever reason.

Mike in CA 12-20-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by skuplist (Post 10992259)
I would really be surprised that dealers have cars with no specific customers. I think every allocation has been spoken for with a wait list for cars that might open up with a customer not taking delivery for whatever reason.

It seems you must be right, which is why I was trying to understand the original post about searching inventory. I would have thought there would be more diversity among special order customer cars with regard to colors and options. Maybe we'll get clarification...

frayed 12-20-2013 03:41 PM

With the 997 GT3 a few dealers optioned up their cars and threw them on the floor with a healthy markup waiting for the 'gotta have it now' guy who was late to the party.

I'd bet a few dealers did this again. Prolly the same ones. So I doubt every car has a customer associated with it.

LateBrake911 12-20-2013 03:46 PM

Interesting. So if the allocations are sold, and the dealer gets to spec cars for showroom. they can option a car from 131k up to 170k e.g. on the Configurator, and sell it for the Configurator MSRP of 170k. (more more?). Makes sense as addl profits come from the options list, and this care would have a better chance of selling then an S with 40K of options. -- Thus the only way to get a GT3 is with 40K of options.. Makes sense, and is good as people would still have a chance to buy one.

frayed 12-20-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gskudlarick (Post 10992304)
Interesting. So if the allocations are sold, and the dealer gets to spec cars for showroom. they can option a car from 131k up to 170k e.g. on the Configurator, and sell it for the Configurator MSRP of 170k. (more more?). Makes sense as addl profits come from the options list, and this care would have a better chance of selling then an S with 40K of options.

I think the technique is reserved for the most unethical dealers. But yes, it has been used in the past.

Just wait, there will be reports on here of showroom cars available at hefty premiums and options list.

Mike in CA 12-20-2013 03:53 PM

Early on I heard that a dealer in the South Bay Area was holding on to their allocations to spec them to outrageous levels and sell them at a premium. Haven't heard if they found any suckers (I mean buyers) to bite on them....

carcommander 12-20-2013 04:07 PM

My Porsche dealer has always been above board and ethical. I know of others who have not. It must be a function of management. One of the dealers I deal with locally (not Porsche). Offered me a brand new hard to come by car for 75K over. I just laughed.

Dude- 12-20-2013 04:28 PM

To be honest if I didn't have an allocation, I'd probably pay 5-10 extra just to have it. Back in April I wouldn't but today is different. Everyone says this car is underpriced so 5-10 for me is fair market especially if there are speculations that this is the last GT3.