Sponsored by:

Cars are on US soil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911dev
Why do you people keep torturing me with red!!! I want white, white, white. Now I'll have to change my order 12 more times.
I can't help you with the decision but I will offer that everyone who saw the car yesterday was blown away by the red.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:24 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
TMG57. I think the anthracite alloy interior trim looks great in your you car as it is very subtle and lets the red stitching feature stand out without looking so busy like all the interior elements are fighting each other to be seen! Good work on thinking of that!

In my white car with platinum stitching I needed the brushed alloy inserts (same texture as yours but raw alloy vs a titanium colour like your anthracite ones) to actually give the car some pop or it would have looked far too dark and sombre inside.

By the way good choice also with the black PDLS. Again not an option I think works so well on white but on the red it looks good as it does on the RS car I have seen some pictures of.
Originally Posted by Macca
Cant wait for your drivng impressions.

FYI I asked the factory direct after getting my car what the break in procedure was. They said simply take it a bit easy first tank, no small stop start journeys, make sure I get some heat into it before revving it out and try and keep the max rpm away from the redline. After that they said "drive it like you will always drive it". Good enough for me, by the second tank it was Italian tune up style LOL!
Thanks, Macca. I appreciate the break in advice. I think I will go out today with the single objective of burning a whole tank of gas!

As for the trim, I agree 100%. With the white car and gray stitching I would definitely prefer your choice.

Thanks, also, for your wonderful pictures and commentary.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Why do you people keep torturing me with red!!! I want white, white, white. Now I'll have to change my order 12 more times.
I can only offer this. I've had 5 black 911s of various flavors, then when the 997 GT3 came out I went with yellow, as I've always liked yellow on aggressive sports cars dating back to the Bumblebee Mopars.

My car was delivered second; the first was guards. When the guards rig showed up I was in awe. It looked so hot, and I normally do not like red on cars. I realized then my next GT3 was going to be guards.

The clincher was I was in Munich on business as the first new 981s were just being released. I brand new guards rolled by (ironically right outside BMW's headquarters) and I was blown away how that fresh sheetmetal looked so great in red.

So, while I haven't seen a red 991 GT3 in the flesh, I just extrapolated based on the 981 and 997 GT3.

-------------------

But there's no right or wrong answer with few exceptions. Like maybe brown or somesuch.

Both red and white will show offer the lines and black accents well, I believe.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Red is an excellent color for the GT3. TMG57 car proves that. It is gorgeous.

Counselor you will not be sorry.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Good synergy with red as taillights and calipers already match... The black headlights also complement the black accents like the lower spoiler. Not sure if guards needs any red accents on interior though.. Maybe one should conspicuously avoid any red on the interior, and focus on making interior very sober, with silver seatbelts to match silver stitching and silver aluminum trim. I may end up heading this direction also from a cost perspective (or a sticking it to Porsche perspective).. : Red is free, silver stitching doesn't cost me $1500.. aluminum trim is free, matching red rear lights are free. From an aesthetic perspective I can add black headlights, silver belts and leather and I have a perfectly matched car

I don't think black wheels work well with red.. But you all know what I think there is to do to make them black without paying Porsche for the privilege ;-)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good synergy with red as taillights and calipers already match... The black headlights also complement the black accents like the lower spoiler. Not sure if guards needs any red accents on interior though.. Maybe one should conspicuously avoid any red on the interior, and focus on making interior very sober, with silver seatbelts to match silver stitching and silver aluminum trim. I may end up heading this direction also from a cost perspective (or a sticking it to Porsche perspective).. : Red is free, silver stitching doesn't cost me $1500.. aluminum trim is free, matching red rear lights are free. From an aesthetic perspective I can add black headlights, silver belts and leather and I have a perfectly matched car

I don't think black wheels work well with red.. But you all know what I think there is to do to make them black without paying Porsche for the privilege ;-)
I ended up doing only red belts but kept the standard stitching. But a silver belt would have been nice too. Just something other than black to have them stand out The yellow belts in my speed yellow GT3 ended up looking good.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:10 PM
green
Pro

I considered silver belts on my blue car with leather and without red. But I worried about having them look like crap if they get stained after a while.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:14 PM
mtuttle
Advanced

[QUOTE=Macca;10991137]TMG57. I think the anthracite alloy interior trim looks great in your you car as it is very subtle and lets the red stitching feature stand out without looking so busy like all the interior elements are fighting each other to be seen! Good work on thinking of that!

Unfortunately you are probably right! I ordered red with standard trim but in hindsight, maybe should have went with carbon or the anthracite. Oh well!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Unfortunately, yes, $1k.
Interesting. 997.2 GT3 and RS tax was $1,300, and 4.0 RS $1,500.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, i saw that $1000 GG tax on my build sheet..........O'well it's not a commuter for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:36 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Out in CA.

I see you have the LED headlights. Would like to see what you think of them.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Maybe one should conspicuously avoid any red on the interior, and focus on making interior very sober, with silver seatbelts to match silver stitching and silver aluminum trim. I may end up heading this direction also from a cost perspective (or a sticking it to Porsche perspective).. : Red is free, silver stitching doesn't cost me $1500.. aluminum trim is free, matching red rear lights are free. From an aesthetic perspective I can add black headlights, silver belts and leather and I have a perfectly matched car
)
IMO, there's no right or wrong way to do this (within reason) as it comes down subjective taste. But FWIW, I used the same rationale as Alex when I decided to stay with the silver stitching and aluminum trim in a red car. Besides, if I'd gone with red stitching I would have felt the need to change the trim to something darker (leather, anthracite, CF) so as not to have a clash of too many design elements, making red stitching a +/- $2500 proposition. I also like black belts because I don't want them to stand out. It takes all kinds!

Bold on the outside, more subtle on the inside was the way I decided to go. But there are other combos that I would also have been very happy to own.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:56 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Isn't anyone getting painted interior???? I've never seen in real live, but I think it will add a real FUN look to the interior. Like the RS Orange with the Orange Painted Console guys!

Last edited by LateBrake911; 01-16-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! New GT3 looks wicked.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Had time to kill this am, so I searched the inventory of every CA dealer for GT3s. There are a LOT! The interesting take-aways were:

Nearly everyone chose white (there were a few reds and 1 GT silver)

PCCBs were nearly default

Red stitching was extremely popular

Front lift is a must

Circle in Long Beach shows 4. I called, just in case one car fell thru. No such luck, all are sold. Sure wish they'd show that in the listings.

Quick Reply: Cars are on US soil