Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eduardo, Is this Signal Green code W25?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Eduardo, Is this Signal Green code W25?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...s/1606022.html

1968 911S. It looks fabulous................Still entertaining paint to sample for my 4th quarter 2014 GT-3, and making plans to travel to see various colors.

John
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Signal Green

Originally Posted by john weires
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...s/1606022.html

1968 911S. It looks fabulous................Still entertaining paint to sample for my 4th quarter 2014 GT-3, and making plans to travel to see various colors.

John
Re: your "Eduardo, Is this Signal Green code W25?" We don't know for sure, John. But I doubt it. W25 is the color code for the version of 'Signal Green' that the factory produced in MY2007/2008 in the few 997 ordered in PTS 'Signal Green'. Why the formula was changed and a new color code chosen for 'Signal Green' in different eras (e.g. 22S in the early 1990's or 6829 in 1968/69)...nobody knows for sure. But I believe the 1990's 'Signal Green' (22S), which is currently approved for PTS in either the 991 or 981, has a bluer tint on the green than my old W25 'Signal Green'. Perhaps similar to 'Signal Green' code #217 in the first photo attached (actual color chips kept at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen and photographed by me last April). The W25 'Signal Green' had a distinctive yellow tint on the green, which made it look simply awesome in person.

The restored 'Signal Green' 1968S in Hemmings is also 'Signal Green', but the color code for a 1968/69 911 in 'Signal Green' is 6829. 'Signal Green' also had a different color code in 1966/67 (R6001) and 1970/71 (7810 for Targa / 7878 for Coupes). I have never seen a 'Signal Green' long hood early 911 that still has its original factory applied paint! All I have seen is full restorations like this car advertised in Hemmings. Perhaps a few original paint examples exist, but I have never seen them! And God only knows what formula a restorer used to paint a car, regardless that he states its 'factory correct'. So we can't really compare the 1968 'Signal Green' 6829 (second photo) to my 2007 'Signal Green' W25 (third photo). You need to see the actual color on a particular vehicle and choose the one you love!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Link to thread on 'Custom Ordering a 991': https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM
john weires
Pro

Eduardo,

Will the real Signal Green please stand up?!
This is confusing to say the least.
I love the color of your 2007/2008 (W25).
It looks like I will have to find a specific car that I like the paint on
and give Porsche the VIN for it to determine the paint code.
This of course assumes it was not restored.
I'm visiting CPR Porsche restoration in southern California
in early January for some ideas. They have a number of
cars there in the different signal colors as well as Viper Green.
At the end of the day I may just go with Guards Red.
At least I will know what I am getting.

John
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default A word of caution to those planning PTS on a 991 gt3 or RS!

Eduardo,

Will the real Signal Green please stand up?!
This is confusing to say the least.
I love the color of your 2007/2008 (W25).
It looks like I will have to find a specific car that I like the paint on
and give Porsche the VIN for it to determine the paint code.
This of course assumes it was not restored.
I'm visiting CPR Porsche restoration in southern California
in early January for some ideas. They have a number of
cars there in the different signal colors as well as Viper Green.
At the end of the day I may just go with Guards Red.
At least I will know what I am getting.

John
John:

To my knowledge there were only three 'Signal Green' 997's custom ordered in W25 in the entire United States, of which only two have probably survived. The closest you might get to seeing this color in person might be via the surviving rear deck lid (see photo below) of my '07 C2S. That is factory original W25 paint. You are welcome to see it if you are ever in Carmel!

To maintain your sanity and make the ordering process 'doable' once they open up PTS for the 991 gt3, I strongly recommend that you try to fall in love with one of the existing colors already APPROVED for PTS in the 991. Study carefully the latest approved list I have attached below. In the interesting 'Green' hues, you have the old 997 'RS Green' (code 2D8), 'Viper Green' (code 225) or 'Signal Green' (code 22S). Or you can choose from 'Gulf Orange' (code 019), 'Gulf Blue' (code 328), 'Signal Yellow' (code 114), 'Riviera Blue' (code 39E) or 'Mexico Blue' (code 336). These are all currently available custom colors via PTS for any 991! There has never been a more complete list of historic colors like those currently offered for PTS (as of 11/10/2013) in recent Porsche history. 'Gulf Blue', 'Viper Green', 'Signal Yellow', 'Signal Green' - OMG, this is PTS color nirvana! So I suggest we take advantage of this peculiar moment in history. And if I was a betting man, I would say any 991 gt3 ordered in any of those unique Porsche historic colors will retain value the most in both the long & short run! So it's a very solid $5,500 option bet! And it will be a unique pleasure to view your 991 in any of these unusual colors each time you see it in your garage or driveway!

From personal experience in ordering from Porsche, my feeling is that the gt3's PTS window (when you will be allowed to order a 991 gt3 in a Paint-to-Sample color) will be extremely small or limited in time! Thus, you need to choose a PTS color that is ALREADY approved to have any chance to meet the deadline for that anticipated short PTS 'window'. You will NOT likely have time to request a unique Paint-to-Sample hue (e.g. 'Signal Green' code W25). It just will take too much time to do the color fade test and other necessary analysis to meet production datelines for the gt3's. So my advice to you (AND TO ANYONE ELSE CONSIDERING PTS ON A 991 gt3 or RS) is to select a pre-approved color from the latest approved PTS list. This will increase your chances at making it through the short PTS gt3 'window' when that opens up! Better be safe (with a already pre-approved color!) than sorry (with a unique or singular PTS request that might not be approved in time).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by Z356; 12-19-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 PM
john weires
Pro

That is sound advice to pick an already approved color.....

The vintage colors you mention are all on my list to see.
So far I have seen only the RS Green, and on a Cayman R, not a 911.
I liked it but would have like a bit more of a yellow tint to it.
If I want Green, do you think either Viper Green or W22 Signal Green would
be closer to what I am looking for?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM
john weires
Pro

I forgot to mention, that I love the color of your lid, W25, and wish that
was available instead of W22.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PTS for 991 GT3

That is sound advice to pick an already approved color...
Picking an already approved 991 PTS colour is the only way you can get a PTS GT3. I am doing PTS on my GT3 and this is what I was told by Porsche. The PTS window opens in April 2014 but I do not know for how long.

Last edited by Conekilr; 12-19-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: correct month
Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

If I want Green, do you think either Viper Green or W22 Signal Green would be closer to what I am looking for?
John: See attached photo. The color at the top left is my 'Signal Green' color code W25. At the lower right, there is 'Signal Green' with color code 217. That might be the currently approved 'Signal Green', color code '22S'. But I don't know for sure. I do know that color code 22S is the 'Signal Green' from the early 1990's and NOT the one used by the factory on my old 997 (which was color code W25). If you want to pursue these 'Greens' further, I suggest you contact directly 'Porsche Exclusive' and inquire as to what is the color code for 'Signal Green' # 217 on the attached photo. If they tell you that it's the same color as the current 'Signal Green' (in other words code 22S), then you know it might not be your favorite since it has too much 'blue' tint in that paint formula. 'Viper Green' color code 225 seems to me the closest to my 'Signal Green' (color code W25). By the way, there is no 'Signal Green' W22 color code. I think you meant to say 'Signal Green' color code 22S in your response above.

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Picking an already approved 991 PTS colour is the only way you can get a PTS GT3. I am doing PTS on my GT3 and this is what I was told by Porsche. The PTS window opens in April 2014 but I do not know for how long.
Coneklr: Best of luck with your PTS. What color have you decided on?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
...Coneklr: Best of luck with your PTS. What color have you decided on?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo,

I am going against the grain and going with Fashion Grey, an old 356 colour

Old 12-21-2013, 10:12 PM
john weires
Pro

At this point, I'm trying to narrow my in person search to the currently Porsche approved PTS colors like Signal Green (W22), Viper Green, Signal Yellow and Signal Orange.

For a starting point I've located a restored signal yellow early 911 at CPR Porsche in southern CA to look at.

Is it true that only one Signal Yellow paint color / code exists over the history of this color?

If so it would make things easier choosing Signal Yellow code 114 PTS and
being reasonably sure of the outcome.

I have an allocation for late next year so waiting until April of 2014 for a PTS opening won't be a problem.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

At this point, I'm trying to narrow my in person search to the currently Porsche approved PTS colors like Signal Green (W22), Viper Green, Signal Yellow and Signal Orange.
Ok, pay attention. The approved 'Signal Green' is color code 22S. There is no W22. 'Signal Orange' is not approved. You have the choice of 'Gulf Orange' & 'Pastell Orange'. And soon we may also get 'Blutorange' or 'Tangerine' approved...but not yet.

Is it true that only one Signal Yellow paint color / code exists over the history of this color?
Yes, that is my understanding. But it doesn't necessarily mean much. Are the paint formulas with the new paint the same? Are the colors identical? Who knows. Yellow is one of the hardest colors to match. And back when the early 911's came out, Porsche was using leaded paints which create beautiful, rich colors like 'Signal Yellow'. Lead is not part of the formula today. It would be nice to see photos of any 991 or 981 that Porsche has recently done in PTS 'Signal Yellow' and compare it to the last known example of PTS 'Signal Yellow' - the .2 gt3 RS that went to Britain (see attached photo). But even then, photos often don't truly reflect what your eyes sees in person. Caveat emptor.

I have an allocation for late next year so waiting until April of 2014 for a PTS opening won't be a problem.
Not so fast. The PTS window might open and close on the 991 gt3 before you get your allocation. If that happens, you are S** out of luck. If you try to wait until the window opens again for PTS on that model, production might end on the gt3 before you get another allocation or perhaps the PTS window never opens up again. Either way, you are doubly S** out of luck! So you are not out of the woods yet because of having a late 2014 gt3 allocation. I hope you can get Porsche to allow you to order PTS when your dealer finally has at hand your particular gt3's allocation...but don't take anything for granted! You are going to need for everything to go like clockwork and have luck (and the PTS gods) on your side.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Eduardo,

I am going against the grain and going with Fashion Grey, an old 356 colour

As I have posted here before, that is absolutely a gorgeous color! I have only seen one 356 done in that color - Modegrau or FashionGrey - back when John Paterak still had his 1952 'America Roadster' (first photo), although that car was repainted.

http://www.stasher.us/AR_12317.html

The next photo is of an even older car - a 1951 or so early-attached-bumper style 356 Cabriolet! A period photo, it still shows its factory applied 'ModeGrau' lacquer paint!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
john weires
Pro

Eduardo,
Thanks for your patience in answering a slow learners questions. https://rennlist.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
I sure like the signal yellow photo you posted.
Choosing PTS is like shooting craps since you can't be sure
of color accuracy etc, plus the manufacturing window you mention.
Hopefully it all works out or I go with Guards Red, a solid and safe choice.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM
CBG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eduardo, you are such asset for this forum. I love your posts!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Hopefully it all works out or I go with Guards Red, a solid and safe choice.
You can't go wrong with any color on the gt3! Good luck!

Originally Posted by CBG
Eduardo, you are such asset for this forum. I love your posts!
You are most kind. Thank you! It is especially appreciated from a fellow R Gruppe member based in Germany!

Merry Christmas,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Eduardo, Is this Signal Green code W25?