Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the 991 GT3 today....

Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Very cool. We got into our 7.1 RSs at the same time and have put about the same amount of seat time in. One of the benefits of owning the RS is that I can probably take a 991 GT3 out when they have one at my local dealer. My friend with a 996 GT2 let me borrow it a few summers ago so I could go to the dealer and drive a pumpkin...I was hooked after that!
Lol, definitely showing up to the dealer in an RS gives you that next level of clout.
Back when I was in high school I would B.S. that I was an Arab prince or something and my dad wants to buy me an M3 for my 17th birthday in order to try to get a test drive at the BMW dealer. It worked a good amount of times and I'm not even Arab.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
I think M5 and M6 (perhaps older M3 as well) might be a different case, I had an M5 and only drove it in manual because the auto mode was **** for brains. I now have a C63 507 Edition and the MCT in that thing is so smart and always places the car in the right gear like it is reading my mind that I have given up on the manual mode. I am talking about the car downshifting automatically when I flick the turn signal, it anticipates a lane change and downshifts for you so you can pass others without even thinking about it. with M5, I only did that when I feel like there an ******* who might close the gap if I indicate.
Manual mode is nice for sliding the c63 around...you can get it as sideways as you dare and the car will get right back in line with a click into 2nd gear.

Also good for timing full throttle upshifts in tunnels so you can hear that nice echoed "BWAP."
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=maxbhp;10967829]

" I was there in an Aston Martin Rapide (uncle is on the AM board of directors so he has a few co. cars just lying about).

I'm going to the Aston factory on Thursday for a tour."

While at the factory, you should inform your Uncle that, as a car that purports to
carry four people, the Rapide is less usable for that function than a Porsche Turbo S. It is, by far, a more difficult car to get into the rear seat than any race car I have ever driven, and should you be sufficiently limber to fold yourself into a pretzel and gain entry, you then have no place to put your feet, except on top of each other. And I won't bother going into the lack of headroom and shoulder rooom. My far younger and more supple friends had similar comments. I would strongly suggest your R&D Department not hire Dwarfs as access models.
Examining the Porsche Panamera would indeed prove illuminating.
Perhaps then their would be more cars in customers hands than "just lying about"
Sorry you didn't find the GT3 engaging. Obviously certain British tastes are not well understood in the Colonies - or in the rest of the world for that matter.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxbhp
I think people don't take into account how important using two feet to drive a car is to the engagement level. I'm far from a neuroscientist but I bet that the physical involvement of having to use your left foot might stimulate a part of your brain that goes to sleep for lack of a better term when the left leg is dormant. I wonder if their has ever been a study regarding this. I know when I'm driving an auto my right hand gets bored...I end up twirling my hair or stroking my beard out of some weird habit that I do when I'm bored.
Left-foot braking. It takes a while to get the sensitivity and the ability to effect small modulations or larger ones smoothly, but it's going to be essential with this car.

And I'm going to try and be very disciplined about putting and keeping the car in manual mode to maintain engagement on the street. Of course, I failed to do that last time.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Ask about plans for a stripped out manual V8 vantage like the n24 but make it a regular line a la Porsche GT3's.

Porsche closed the price gab so time to make a simple hardcore track car that can be daily driven.

Many like a v8 manual AM to beat up Corvettes and Porsches.
Less = more + vantage beauty would be awesome.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=FastLaneTurbo;10971893]

" I was there in an Aston Martin Rapide (uncle is on the AM board of directors so he has a few co. cars just lying about).

I'm going to the Aston factory on Thursday for a tour."

While at the factory, you should inform your Uncle that, as a car that purports to
carry four people, the Rapide is less usable for that function than a Porsche Turbo S. It is, by far, a more difficult car to get into the rear seat than any race car I have ever driven, and should you be sufficiently limber to fold yourself into a pretzel and gain entry, you then have no place to put your feet, except on top of each other. And I won't bother going into the lack of headroom and shoulder rooom. My far younger and more supple friends had similar comments. I would strongly suggest your R&D Department not hire Dwarfs as access models.
Examining the Porsche Panamera would indeed prove illuminating.
Perhaps then their would be more cars in customers hands than "just lying about"
Sorry you didn't find the GT3 engaging. Obviously certain British tastes are not well understood in the Colonies - or in the rest of the world for that matter.
Don't worry, I told my uncle for you and he's on it. However he did want to know what race cars have you driven that have back seats?
While it may not be comparable to an S-class, the back seats are at least useable for an adult 6ft and under. I've had no problem riding in them, but I didn't grow up riding in the back of limos either and can bare a little discomfort every once in a while. Although they decided not to raise the roofline in the rear to make the car hideous looking like Porsche did with the Panamera, getting in and out of the back seats is no more difficult than getting in/out of the front seats. I'm not sure if you know this but it is a four door car. If you were trying to access the rear seats from the front doors I can see your point.
I also find it has as much rear headroom if not more than a CLS. The car wasn't designed to be the wife's soccer van, but to be able to take 3 more people with you when you decide to drive your sporty car, nothing more. And compared to the literally unusable rear seats in the DBS, Vanquish or 911 for that matter, I think they accomplished what they set out to do.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my .1RS for a few months and before I left home had only put on approx 700 miles and I drove the 991 only for a very brief stint in typical London traffic so obviously I can't compare the two. What I can say is it looks amazing in blue and mainly the lack of a manual made me think I could have been in any old 991 variant. Again, I only drove it for a short distance at very low speeds but I can attest that even at low speeds in a manual RS their is still a level of engagement the PDK's can't replicate.
Makes sense but the 991 GT3 wasn't conceived by PAG to go slow.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

A little off topic, but, I don't know why people don't like the blue! I think it looks awesome!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

MAXBHP,

Any updates on your conversation with D. Richards?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Exactly. Even the almighty .2 RS is boring at 30 mph.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
A little off topic, but, I don't know why people don't like the blue! I think it looks awesome!
Your avatar is Outer Loop at The Glen?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Your avatar is Outer Loop at The Glen?
Looks like the toe of the boot.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Looks like the toe of the boot.
That's the heel of the boot. Toe of the boot would have the car going uphill. Heel of the boot is slightly downhill.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have asked you to ask your uncle:
1. Whats up w/ the POS tranny in their top car the Vanquish?
2. Whats the future of the manual tranmission?
3. What was the movitation behind sourcing engines from AMG?
4. Can Aston remain independent, given the 5% stake Daimlier will take w/ the engine deal ?
5. Are there plans for an SUV?
6. Whats His best guess as to why these Aston's depreciate soo much?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

Oh, so you won't drive yours on the street then?

And when you get to the track you will be flat out the whole time, so we should expect to see some blazing lap videos......

Yeah...... thought so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove the 991 GT3 today....