Sponsored by:

Alcantara wheel vs. sport design wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
c4sdriver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcantara wheel vs. sport design wheel

I am trying to decide on the steering wheel..
If i am right, the "standard" wheel is alcantara. The 0$ option sport design wheel is leather covered but otherwise the same, with the same diameter and rim thickness, correct?

What are peoples thoughts on which wheel is best?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this thread ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ight=alcantara

Ryan
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice memory, reidry. c4sdriver: it'd be a serious shame to go w/ the non-alcantara option and i don't think it'd fit the character or the aesthetic of the 991 gt3. alcantara is cheap to replace if you had concerns w/ wear & soiling years from now -- like $400.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
nice memory, reidry. c4sdriver: it'd be a serious shame to go w/ the non-alcantara option and i don't think it'd fit the character or the aesthetic of the 991 gt3. alcantara is cheap to replace if you had concerns w/ wear & soiling years from now -- like $400.
Personal choice-Alcantara fits the character of the car, but nothing feels like leather under your hands. I was going to keep the standard alcantara, until I felt the steering wheel on an older GT3. I didn't like the alcantara feeling as much as the leather steering wheel on my current Porsche.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me leather is the way to go. Leather absorbs heat and cold assuming it's real leather. If its summer and the AC is running the leather will absorb the heat in your hands. Man made materials will not. When I have held an alcantara wheel my palms have actually gotten warm over time. With a leather wheel my palms actually feel cooler. That's why you see more heated leather steering wheels. In cold weather they will feel as cold as the ambient air. I found my palms sweat much more with alcantara in the summer.

Quick Reply: Alcantara wheel vs. sport design wheel