Sponsored by:

The Porsche brake caliper 'conspiracy'

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
OMG it was the worst experience ever. Not even close to the limit and she was freaking out. They had video cameras running, so I'm waiting for the video to be emailed to me that shows the sheer boredom and disgust on my face. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be 'that guy' that starts arguing, touting my experience, and making a scene, so I just kept quiet and stared forward while nodding my head. I don't know if there was a better way to handle the situation. I just got screwed.
My instructor said "from here on out you should be full throttle all the way to T-10" after the session he said "maybe not I forgot that you have 200+ more horsepower than my car "

Ring a bell Joe?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first instructor was a large breastickled blonde who kept yelling MORE GAS MORE GAS. She drove a Z06; this was in 2001.

Favorite instructor ever.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

My first instructor was a slightly older woman who would gently guide me using her hands and softly say "a bit to the left, yea, a little more.. Yep, that's it, good boy!.. Ok now harder.."

Wait, what kind of instructor are we talking about??
Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
My instructor said "from here on out you should be full throttle all the way to T-10" after the session he said "maybe not I forgot that you have 200+ more horsepower than my car " Ring a bell Joe?
That 'instructor' obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. LOL. Now you know why I'm not an instructor. I'm a horrible teacher... LOL

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's BS, Joe. The upside to the bridged brake calipers is that they are more rigid, apparently use fewer parts, and if Montoya is correct there are cost savings which help keep down the price of the car. The downside is that changing pads will be more difficult for the owner.

That's a balanced real-world view, not a suggestion that the brakes or car are perfect.
Take it easy, man. The comment was one in general about you have a rebuttal and justification for every single criticism on the car, no matter what. I'm not just talking about the brakes. The car won't be perfect. That doesn't mean it won't still be awesome. I'm counting on it.

It's a view that's certainly less biased than one which believes that Porsche redesigned the brakes as part of a conspiracy to squeeze more maintenance $$ out of the customer, which I believe was your premise at the beginning of this thread.
Man, you take any shot at Porsche so seriously, even when those shots are tongue-in-cheek. I thought that throwing out the conspiracy theory would rile certain people up. I was right.

Honestly, I'll spend very little time worrying whether anyone will trust my feedback about the car. I'll be too busy driving it.
I guess your posts will stop after you get the car and you won't be posting your thoughts? Somehow I doubt that.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"breastickled:

That's a new word for me!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Take it easy, man. The comment was one in general about you have a rebuttal and justification for every single criticism on the car, no matter what. I'm not just talking about the brakes. The car won't be perfect. That doesn't mean it won't still be awesome. I'm counting on it.

Man, you take any shot at Porsche so seriously, even when those shots are tongue-in-cheek. I thought that throwing out the conspiracy theory would rile certain people up. I was right.
C'mon Joe. Until you made your "general comment" about me, we were all having a civil conversation back and forth about brake calipers. It wasn't serious as far as I was concerned and I wasn't riled up. I learned a couple of things and it was a fairly interesting and routine forum discussion. But for some reason, you decided to take a shot at me personally. You even jumped in on a post that I hadn't addressed to you to do it. That's what I finally reacted to, not some silly crap about Porsche calipers.

I guess your posts will stop after you get the car and you won't be posting your thoughts? Somehow I doubt that.
No. But I'm not going to spend any time worrying about whether my posts meet your standards either. This petty personal BS is really beneath all of us. Enough...

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-10-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Do dealers charge more to change pads and/or rotors on the 991s than the 997s?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
C'mon Joe. Until you made your "general comment" about me, we were all having a civil conversation back and forth about brake calipers. It wasn't serious as far as I was concerned and I wasn't riled up. I learned a couple of things and it was a fairly interesting and routine forum discussion. But for some reason, you decided to take a shot at me personally. You even jumped in on a post that I hadn't addressed to you to do it. That's what I finally reacted to, not some silly crap about Porsche calipers.

No. But I'm not going to spend any time worrying about whether my posts meet your standards either. This petty personal BS is really beneath all of us. Enough...
I'm sorry you're so upset about my comments. The post I made that started this all was meant in a joking fashion. Read it again with the knowledge that it was meant in a rib jabbing fashion. You have to admit, and I don't think anyone will disagree, that you wave the biggest 991 GT3 banner here. I was simply making a joke about it, but it touched a nerve with you. Lesson learned for me is that emoticons are not sufficient enough to convey humor/jest. I've said it before: I'm no english major.

I'm not asking you to bring your posts up to any standards. Do what you want. If you can't take a joke, you can't take a joke. I'll remember that next time. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 008
Do dealers charge more to change pads and/or rotors on the 991s than the 997s?
It should be the same for rotors, but I would guess that they charge more for just pads. I know I would.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

It should be the same for rotors, but I would guess that they charge more for just pads. I know I would.
It's definitely more for the fronts - you have to buy new bolts at the very least.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm sorry you're so upset about my comments. The post I made that started this all was meant in a joking fashion. Read it again with the knowledge that it was meant in a rib jabbing fashion. You have to admit, and I don't think anyone will disagree, that you wave the biggest 991 GT3 banner here. I was simply making a joke about it, but it touched a nerve with you. Lesson learned for me is that emoticons are not sufficient enough to convey humor/jest. I've said it before: I'm no english major.

I'm not asking you to bring your posts up to any standards. Do what you want. If you can't take a joke, you can't take a joke. I'll remember that next time. Sorry.
I probably do wave the biggest 991 GT3 banner here in the 991 GT3 forum. OTOH, despite all of the negative predictions that were posted by many on RL, especially early on, and given the almost universal praise that the car has now received, maybe that also means that I've been right a whole lot more than I've been wrong.

So yeah, when you said "I don't think anyone can trust your review at face value once you get your car", despite the LOL and smiley face that followed, I took offense and saw it as a shot under cover of a "joke". I can take a ribbing as well as anyone, and will give as good as I get, but an emoticon only goes so far.

Still, I take responsibility for my response. I could have overlooked the comment and replied differently. I accept your apology and offer my own, Time to bury the hatchet, Joe.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Maybe A haiku is in order?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Predictions are way to early to determine now. These engines could be ticking time bombs when actually track hours gets put on them as well as gets used in different environmental temperature conditions. The car all ready has to many negatives for me to ever get it. Seems to me like it should come with a mechanical team if your going to track it and maintain it.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Predictions are way to early to determine now. These engines could be ticking time bombs when actually track hours gets put on them as well as gets used in different environmental temperature conditions. The car all ready has to many negatives for me to ever get it. Seems to me like it should come with a mechanical team if your going to track it and maintain it.
Ticking time bombs! Well dropping my order.

Quick Reply: The Porsche brake caliper 'conspiracy'