Sponsored by:

WHEEL CHOICE

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 AM
swivelhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHEEL CHOICE

I'm configuring my car and I need to know if I can order black rims without the sheen. There seems to be 2 choices Painted Silver or Painted black(gloss). Any insight would be helpful Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swivelhi
I'm configuring my car and I need to know if I can order black rims without the sheen. There seems to be 2 choices Painted Silver or Painted black(gloss). Any insight would be helpful Thanks.
Unfortunately no. You have the only choices other than what's standard.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
swivelhi
Advanced

And the standard looks anodized?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent days going over wheel fitment for all sorts of cars. One day I realized its just better to go after market once you get the car home.

You can order the black wheels and ask around at some wheel shop about some Matte Clearcoat that might work.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I feel like I'm being set up for the world funniest practical joke.. But I'm game.

To the OP... Order your wheels in the standard color, then buy a few cans of $7 plastidip at your local store, and have a ball. You'll spend a few hrs on this project max.,. You don't even need to remove the wheels from the car. Just put one aide on a jack and rotate the wheel to get an even application. Put playing cards between the wheel and tire. Apply 3-4 coats

You'll end up with beautiful flat black wheels, and when you're tired of the black, it just peels off and your wheel underneath was perfectly protected from dust and debris.

Ok.. Now everyone can rolf away. :-)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You don't even need to remove the wheels from the car.
Ok,I know you're the biggest fan of plastidip... That's cool

BUT I INSIST!
Remove the wheels from the brand spanking new 150K machine when doing this!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spend $600 and get the wheels properly powder coated.

Plasti-dip is ghetto. It's fine for testing how a color will look on the car, but it's not a permanent solution. Your 991 GT3 deserves better
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That and some of the Porsche wheels are over-priced, there goes that Porsche Tax again!

I don't know of a Porsche wheel that has been worth the money since the "Hollow Spoked" 993 Turbo wheels! Because Porsche did manufacture the "Designer-Imposter" (CHEAPER) 993 Turbo wheels but the spokes were not hollowed out; so what's the point in buying the fakes? Like buying an 90's Chevy Camaro V6... what is the point? Just want the looks, them's only skin deep son!

The only Porsche rims I would pay for fresh from the factory, were, the 997.2 911 TT upsized that were meant for the Panamera and/or Cayenne.

But even at that you can find these same wheels because one of the first things folks do when they get their new cars is gets their new car's NEW SHOES. So you can find these same rims for sale from different sources. EBay, 6Speed et al.

I would only buy Fuchs direct from Porsche unless you could find them made from HRE Monoblock or whatever.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
That and some of the Porsche wheels are over-priced, there goes that Porsche Tax again!

I don't know of a Porsche wheel that has been worth the money since the "Hollow Spoked" 993 Turbo wheels! Because Porsche did manufacture the "Designer-Imposter" (CHEAPER) 993 Turbo wheels but the spokes were not hollowed out; so what's the point in buying the fakes? Like buying an 90's Chevy Camaro V6... what is the point? Just want the looks, them's only skin deep son!

The only Porsche rims I would pay for fresh from the factory, were, the 997.2 911 TT upsized that were meant for the Panamera and/or Cayenne.
Personally think the new GT3 wheels are going to be hard to beat in terms of weight, quality, price, and strength. They're a considerable step up from the old cast wheels on prior GT3's. Not saying that there aren't better out there but you're likely looking at Rays money to surpass.

Last edited by Nizer; 12-05-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Look great. Forged. Look great...oh, I mentioned that already...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Personally think the new GT3 wheels are going to be hard to beat in terms of quality, price, and strength. They're a considerable step up from the old cast wheels on prior GT3's. Not saying that there aren't better out there but you're likely looking at Rays money to surpass.
+2

And since Alex will be disappointed if there's not some kind of response to his post, the only thing crazier than buying a red GT3 with yellow PCCB calipers , is taking maybe the nicest OEM forged wheel Porsche has ever put on a 911 and coating it with colored plastic from a can!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

I like the idea of Plasti Dip to try the color.. if it looks good enough, then keep it, otherwise get it powder coated. My dealer keeps saying to see the Satin wheels before you decide. Says black wheels are getting common.. -- but I think white car with Black Wheels looks so good and aggressive.. Ahhh..
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

" Because race car " is so old school, " Because plastidip " is the new shnizzle
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Think I need that clear bra. -- Where to start? anyone have any links.. I'l ask my dealer too. Sounds like a must if you track a white car. I imagine you can just peel it off when needed.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I can see that I'm slowly changing hearts and minds. Not sure how I became the spokesperson for this product... but I'm happy to wear the mantle. I don't think it's "ghetto" like some have posted... it's a replaceable solution, much like car wrap, which looks very very good even under close inspection. It allows for wheel protection, and for changing your mind infinitely. As I also don't like the shiny black color offered by porsche, and i do like the grey stock color of the wheels.. it makes perfect sense to me.

when you take into account the extreme heat which powdercoating requires, the fact that you have to remove the tires from the wheel, and fact that it's permanent.. let alone the cost differential... it's a no-brainer. I've curbed a wheel with plastidip, it removed the dip and left a shiny metal underneath... I just peeled it all off and started over... one hour later I had a perfect wheel again... try that with powdercoating.

Quick Reply: WHEEL CHOICE