Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real life color pics (to help with selection process)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
yes.. I really couldn't believe it when i saw it online the first time. I took some lightweight forged BBS wheels on my 5 series wagon and did a "what the heck, it can't hurt" attempt... first try, just by using the spray can without even a paint gun.. you get a super smooth finish.. looks truly professional.

the only downside is that when you change your tires, the machine will peel off the plastidip off the edge. But, you just peel off the whole thing, enjoy your beautiful unblemished, perfectly uncorroded by brakedust rim for a few minutes.. then take another can of dip and start over.

they now sell it with a "gloss" effect, and different colors... you can literally recreate paint on wheels and change the look as often as you want.

My latest crazy color idea is to go for the midnight metallic blue on the gt3... and maybe plastidip some bronze rims... will look pretty interesting with both red and pccb calipers.
Impressive. Does it burn/discolor with track use?

There is a similar transparent product from 3M that supposedly replaces clearbra - did you try it? I am thinking about using it on GT3.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this gray color. Any one know if agate gray matches the the gray smoked wheals?

No but it's pretty close, definitely achives the monochromatic look IMO.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by new GT3
Love this gray color. Any one know if agate gray matches the the gray smoked wheals? No but it's pretty close, definitely achives the monochromatic look IMO.
It's pretty close but not identical. Agate has brown undertones in the sun.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I am torn between agate grey and sapphire blue, both with black wheels. I wish I had better pictures, but can still take the fall because both are very nice. I don't think I would regret either.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Agate grey is a hardcore color, IMO it fits the gt3 character. The sapphire reminds me of a color I would find on a ford focus, or some other bland econobox. I also really don't like sapphire with red brake calipers, a few white stars on the car and you have yourself an American flag.

If you're asking, I'd say agate with black wheels and black headlamps is champ!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Agate grey is a hardcore color, IMO it fits the gt3 character. The sapphire reminds me of a color I would find on a ford focus, or some other bland econobox. I also really don't like sapphire with red brake calipers, a few white stars on the car and you have yourself an American flag.

If you're asking, I'd say agate with black wheels and black headlamps is champ!
Come, come ... GT3s look great in Jelly Bean colors. Sapphire looks more WRX than Ford Focus. In some conditions Agate has a brown cast, but otherwise it is a perfectly acceptable grey.

Sapphire Blue is a very hard color to photograph .. cell phone pictures are really bad. If I get a chance I've got a photo taken with my DSLR that's pretty representative. Definitely not as dark as Aqua Blue Metallic, but an interesting color that would look sharp on a GT3.

Ryan
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Agree with Alexio regarding the sapphire.

I do think that it fits the character of the GT3 for them to be done in jelly bean colors, but blue isn't really one of those colors. Tons of boring domestic cars come in blue.

When i think of funky GT3 jelly bean colors, I think of red, yellow, orange.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I would much prefer aqua blue over sapphire if it were still offered. My favorite combination I've seen photos of is rhodium with black wheels and black headlights.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
mtuttle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Come, come ... GT3s look great in Jelly Bean colors. Sapphire looks more WRX than Ford Focus. In some conditions Agate has a brown cast, but otherwise it is a perfectly acceptable grey.

Sapphire Blue is a very hard color to photograph .. cell phone pictures are really bad. If I get a chance I've got a photo taken with my DSLR that's pretty representative. Definitely not as dark as Aqua Blue Metallic, but an interesting color that would look sharp on a GT3.

Ryan
I agree with you Ryan 100%. That's why I ordered Sapphire! There are all Porsche colors on fords and the like, especially white. It's not relative to how a GT3 looks in the same color at all. They all look great!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Got mine today :-)

Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Needs black calipers. Ha, ha. Just kidding. Nice car.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3ZZZ: that is one MEAN-looking GT3. Well done, sir. Well done. If Bat Man were to drive a GT3, he'd have gone w/ that for sure.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll be interested to hear what you think of the LEDs.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

That is truly sinister, and beautiful Gt3zzz.

I think with a black car, the shiny black wheels look really good. I prefer flat on other cars.. But matching like that is unbeatable. Rotors look huge!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats – that looks absolutely AWESOME. Please let us know your thoughts once you log some miles!!!

Quick Reply: real life color pics (to help with selection process)