Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   real life color pics (to help with selection process) (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/788972-real-life-color-pics-to-help-with-selection-process.html)

MaxLTV 12-05-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 10950837)
yes.. I really couldn't believe it when i saw it online the first time. I took some lightweight forged BBS wheels on my 5 series wagon and did a "what the heck, it can't hurt" attempt... first try, just by using the spray can without even a paint gun.. you get a super smooth finish.. looks truly professional.

the only downside is that when you change your tires, the machine will peel off the plastidip off the edge. But, you just peel off the whole thing, enjoy your beautiful unblemished, perfectly uncorroded by brakedust rim for a few minutes.. then take another can of dip and start over.

they now sell it with a "gloss" effect, and different colors... you can literally recreate paint on wheels and change the look as often as you want.

My latest crazy color idea is to go for the midnight metallic blue on the gt3... and maybe plastidip some bronze rims... will look pretty interesting with both red and pccb calipers.

Impressive. Does it burn/discolor with track use?

There is a similar transparent product from 3M that supposedly replaces clearbra - did you try it? I am thinking about using it on GT3.

new GT3 12-05-2013 01:04 PM

Love this gray color. Any one know if agate gray matches the the gray smoked wheals?

No but it's pretty close, definitely achives the monochromatic look IMO.

Hoopumpers 12-05-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by new GT3 (Post 10954709)
Love this gray color. Any one know if agate gray matches the the gray smoked wheals? No but it's pretty close, definitely achives the monochromatic look IMO.

It's pretty close but not identical. Agate has brown undertones in the sun.

ny991 12-05-2013 11:07 PM

I am torn between agate grey and sapphire blue, both with black wheels. I wish I had better pictures, but can still take the fall because both are very nice. I don't think I would regret either.

CAlexio 12-05-2013 11:31 PM

Agate grey is a hardcore color, IMO it fits the gt3 character. The sapphire reminds me of a color I would find on a ford focus, or some other bland econobox. I also really don't like sapphire with red brake calipers, a few white stars on the car and you have yourself an American flag.

If you're asking, I'd say agate with black wheels and black headlamps is champ!

reidry 12-06-2013 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 10956266)
Agate grey is a hardcore color, IMO it fits the gt3 character. The sapphire reminds me of a color I would find on a ford focus, or some other bland econobox. I also really don't like sapphire with red brake calipers, a few white stars on the car and you have yourself an American flag.

If you're asking, I'd say agate with black wheels and black headlamps is champ!

Come, come ... GT3s look great in Jelly Bean colors. Sapphire looks more WRX than Ford Focus. In some conditions Agate has a brown cast, but otherwise it is a perfectly acceptable grey.

Sapphire Blue is a very hard color to photograph .. cell phone pictures are really bad. If I get a chance I've got a photo taken with my DSLR that's pretty representative. Definitely not as dark as Aqua Blue Metallic, but an interesting color that would look sharp on a GT3.

Ryan

Drifting 12-06-2013 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 10956266)

Agree with Alexio regarding the sapphire.

I do think that it fits the character of the GT3 for them to be done in jelly bean colors, but blue isn't really one of those colors. Tons of boring domestic cars come in blue.

When i think of funky GT3 jelly bean colors, I think of red, yellow, orange.

Jon70 12-06-2013 12:43 AM

I would much prefer aqua blue over sapphire if it were still offered. My favorite combination I've seen photos of is rhodium with black wheels and black headlights.

mtuttle 12-06-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by reidry (Post 10956401)
Come, come ... GT3s look great in Jelly Bean colors. Sapphire looks more WRX than Ford Focus. In some conditions Agate has a brown cast, but otherwise it is a perfectly acceptable grey.

Sapphire Blue is a very hard color to photograph .. cell phone pictures are really bad. If I get a chance I've got a photo taken with my DSLR that's pretty representative. Definitely not as dark as Aqua Blue Metallic, but an interesting color that would look sharp on a GT3.

Ryan

I agree with you Ryan 100%. That's why I ordered Sapphire! There are all Porsche colors on fords and the like, especially white. It's not relative to how a GT3 looks in the same color at all. They all look great!!:thumbup:

GT3ZZZ 12-06-2013 06:04 PM

Got mine today :-)

http://thumbsnap.com/s/z2QjzRV3.jpg

http://thumbsnap.com/s/9L8x40ex.jpg

Nizer 12-06-2013 06:09 PM

Needs black calipers. Ha, ha. Just kidding. Nice car.

kencollinsjr 12-06-2013 06:22 PM

GT3ZZZ: that is one MEAN-looking GT3. Well done, sir. Well done. If Bat Man were to drive a GT3, he'd have gone w/ that for sure.

kencollinsjr 12-06-2013 06:22 PM

i'll be interested to hear what you think of the LEDs.

CAlexio 12-06-2013 06:28 PM

That is truly sinister, and beautiful Gt3zzz.

I think with a black car, the shiny black wheels look really good. I prefer flat on other cars.. But matching like that is unbeatable. Rotors look huge!!

997TTMeteor 12-06-2013 06:45 PM

Congrats – that looks absolutely AWESOME. Please let us know your thoughts once you log some miles!!!