Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real life color pics (to help with selection process)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 AM
hdnuts
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You just destroyed my entire world order... But thanks for your honesty. :-) just a newbie trying to put real life pics in one place.
....didn't mean to mess up your day, sorry ....btw...the car on your avatar IS GT-silver
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Kain
Advanced

I need some help with what GT Silver Metallic really looks like. Nearly every picture shows it slightly differently. If it really looks like the following picture, then I am in love.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM
new GT3
Advanced

I've seen several cars in GT silver and that looks like a pretty accurate daylight representation to me. Can sometimes look very slightly darker depending on the light.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These silvers change so much depending on the light but I personally believe all the silver cars posted thus far in this thread are Rhodium based on a couple Boxsters I've seen in person and many confirmed pictures of Rhodium 991s.
Also I would speculate that with Rhodium being a new colour this year, you would think that Porsche would want to promote it by using it on their mules...

Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Black looks so SINISTER!!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio

white with black wheels and pccb is next to godly...
Nice.. I'm getting white w/ Red brakes.. then get the wheels Black!!! I think Matte black the way to go. better then Satin, or Gloss? Wonder why they just offer gloss black. Seem like most cool cars I see in LA have matte black??? Please Advise ASAP.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Nice.. I'm getting white w/ Red brakes.. then get the wheels Black!!! I think Matte black the way to go. better then Satin, or Gloss? Wonder why they just offer gloss black. Seem like most cool cars I see in LA have matte black??? Please Advise ASAP.
Here is my take: The last 2 times I painted my wheels, I did flat black (and my track wheels are Satin black). If I had my choice, I would likely do one of those for this GT3 as well. BUT, given the option to have the factory paint them (for less $$ than any dealer or body shop will charge) – I’m going to try gloss. Personally, I like the gloss look on 911’s. Look at the 997 RS’s – I think gloss looks “right” on these cars and this has established a certain OEM-look on GT Porsches. It also separates the tire from the wheel a bit so it isn’t one big dull void in the wheel well. Anyway, I figure if I don’t like the gloss look after spending some time with it, I can always paint them whatever black finish I like, and at least they will have a good layer of black factory paint underneath.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
I need some help with what GT Silver Metallic really looks like. Nearly every picture shows it slightly differently. If it really looks like the following picture, then I am in love.
That looks like GT to me, which has brown undertones. Rhodium has a blue hue.

GT = more depth, rich classic look
Rhodium = thinner/sharper silver, more modern and crisp
Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnuts
....didn't mean to mess up your day, sorry ....btw...the car on your avatar IS GT-silver
Hey Henry!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Ok, I'm going to try this one more time.

Here goes, it's complicated.. But bare with me. (Clears throat)... PLASTIDIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just dip the wheels, will cost you $20 and maybe 2 hrs of your time. You can take them back to original in 5 minutes, while protecting the coating underneath . you'll end up with beautiful flat black (or gloss if you want) wheels which look completely professional and perfect. Then when you're tired of them, peel it off.

Can't imagine paying for powdercoating for wheels since plastidip. Go on YouTube for explanations.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Agreed that plastidip is the way to go if you just wanna change up your car for a bit then peel off. Maybe good for protecting wheels from heavy track usage as well?

Personally I love the stock finish b/c it shows off the lines/contours of these gorgeous wheels. But plastidip for fun/track use I'd do.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain

THAT looks like GT silver...and I hope it is because minus those wheels, that's perfect.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Frayed, it was just in response to his want for black rims..

I looked into the gloss red also as that gt silver in red with red calipers is to die for in my book. if rhodium looks that good with red rims, then I can justify $700 instead of whatever ungodly around gt silver costs.

I'm going searching for more real life pics to add to this thread. That dark blue on pccb still wins in my book at the moment
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

A few more pics of dRk blue with pccb... Love how those clear rear lights look when they are turned on

Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Don't want to be rude but my dad rides a RR Phantom Coupé, not a GT3!!!!!

Quick Reply: real life color pics (to help with selection process)