Sponsored by:

Questions for any real world owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Questions for any real world owners

For anyone who has already received their GT3 - what does the manual say as far as the center lock hubs? Is the tightening procedure the same as the prior version? Any part replacement interval recommended?

Time to put aside the rumors and start sorting out the facts.
Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 AM
TomTomGTA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ray,

I've change my tires for winter tires yesterday. You have to tighten them to 600nm now. It's also important to replace the wheel in the same position that it had on the hub (just mark the position on the caliper and wheel). As for service intervals there is a specific "Track driving" manual with the car which covers centerlock service intervals only if driven hard and often, but to be honest I haven't read it as I was busy driving ;-) I will do so and report back to you.
From what I could see the nut seems beefier than previous versions otherwise I couldn't see any difference. My tire guy said the splined locking safety device seemed to move more freely and had a more positive engagement.

BTW: the wheels are INCREDIBLY light, had an OZ superforgiata for comparison and it seemed slightly heavier, didn't weigh them though.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TomTom I'm really curious about the ground clearance. If I may ask when you get a chance, can you measure the ground clearance.

Thanks and keep reporting your driving experiences and thoughts on the new car...

Old 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
TomTom I'm really curious about the ground clearance. If I may ask when you get a chance, can you measure the ground clearance.

Thanks and keep reporting your driving experiences and thoughts on the new car...

take a look at the pic by hoopumpers at the second to the last page of the thread on the LA auto show. Brake duct is very low, and hanging below the rubber skirt. That pic will clarify the relative need for a front axle lift......
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
take a look at the pic by hoopumpers at the second to the last page of the thread on the LA auto show. Brake duct is very low, and hanging below the rubber skirt. That pic will clarify the relative need for a front axle lift......
Maybe that is different from the .2s. I cannot recall. Good catch.

I know the Porsche's spec lists the front @ 3.66" iircc. My .2 was listed the same. When measured it was about 3.8".

Last edited by 911dev; 12-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

^^^ Thanks drifting for the redirect. The brake ducts are quite low that is why I'd like to get the actual measurement; both height to brake duct and lower front lip...
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomGTA
Hello Ray,

I've change my tires for winter tires yesterday. You have to tighten them to 600nm now. It's also important to replace the wheel in the same position that it had on the hub (just mark the position on the caliper and wheel). As for service intervals there is a specific "Track driving" manual with the car which covers centerlock service intervals only if driven hard and often, but to be honest I haven't read it as I was busy driving ;-) I will do so and report back to you.
From what I could see the nut seems beefier than previous versions otherwise I couldn't see any difference. My tire guy said the splined locking safety device seemed to move more freely and had a more positive engagement.

BTW: the wheels are INCREDIBLY light, had an OZ superforgiata for comparison and it seemed slightly heavier, didn't weigh them though.
TomTom, congrats on the new GT3! it sounds like a blast.
The 997 centerlock torque spec called for 600nm also. Any more info or pictures you could give us regarding the new centerlocks would be great. Did you get ceramic brakes? If so, would love to know about those as well. I hear they are different material/composition than previous.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
TomTomGTA
Intermediate

Ok so, see my other post in Macca's real world topic. I've not gotten the ceramics because I honestly think (and that is just my opinion) that the ceramic brakes are bullsh*t. Who has ever found Porsche brakes to be insufficient?
If they are so important why not make them free on a 150k car (like Ferrari)?
There is no visual difference in the centerlocks.
I will get pics on the ground clearance but it is very low. I've got the lift system (worth every penny) so it seems ok but I will get you pics.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Duct clearance

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 12-11-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TomTomGTA
...I will get pics on the ground clearance but it is very low. I've got the lift system (worth every penny) so it seems ok but I will get you pics.
Actual measurements would be appreciated also...

Thanks...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lift or no lift those brake ducts will need replacing...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting observation is that most of the European cars Ive seen delivered and over half the UK cars have not had lift. Also interesting almost all the Europe cars have LED headlights whereas most of he UK do not. Looking at the Porsche Silverstone photos below taken this morning from afar I personally think the standard PDLS headlights are the more traditional look and choice...
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
TomTomGTA
Intermediate

Hello Macca!
I have the led's and they are rather impressive, corner lights, full beam adapting to speed and if you have the foglight on they switch to a wider and closer beam. They really create daylight in front of you, very cool, wouldn't want to miss it on a car which your liable to drive fast on dark country roads :-)
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

TomTom

Thanks for the info! Do you still need to tighten the center locks with the wheels off the ground?
The next four months are going to be long ones. . .
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting observation is that most of the European cars Ive seen delivered and over half the UK cars have not had lift. Also interesting almost all the Europe cars have LED headlights whereas most of he UK do not. Looking at the Porsche Silverstone photos below taken this morning from afar I personally think the standard PDLS headlights are the more traditional look and choice...
Thx Macca. Like I said previously I have yet to scrape my 0.2 nose after two yr's of ownership and I drive this car everywhere. I think the lift is a scam from Porsche to be honest with you. I am pretty close to canceling this option. I just need a little push. uuuurrrr

Quick Reply: Questions for any real world owners