Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on Break In Period for GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
I attended the driving school out at Spring Mountain and asked the same question about the Corvettes that come from GM to the school. The instructors perform the 500 mile break-in as perscribed in the manual before students use the cars. The explaination given was that beyond the engine, the entire drive train is being "broken in", the transmission, the differential, etc.

The 2000 mile duration of the Porsche recommended break-in is surprising - just seems very long, the 500 mile GM break-in period for the Corvette seems pretty reasonable.

What break-in is performed on a Cup/RSR motor before a major endurance race like the Rolex 24 or Le Mans ? Le Mans is over 3000 miles in racing conditions with no significant service.

Ryan
race motors a quite different, as you well know.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Let's see. Some claim to have excellent results following the factory guidelines. Others claim to have excellent results with other protocols. Neither side has any hard data.

I think that means that modern engines are so well designed that it really doesn't matter. Just do what gives you a warm fuzzy feeling while secretly knowing you are doing it right and everyone else is wrong.

Of course, if everyone believed that, it would free up 10% of the internet bandwidth.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Let's see. Some claim to have excellent results following the factory guidelines. Others claim to have excellent results with other protocols. Neither side has any hard data. I think that means that modern engines are so well designed that it really doesn't matter. Just do what gives you a warm fuzzy feeling while secretly knowing you are doing it right and everyone else is wrong. Of course, if everyone believed that, it would free up 10% of the internet bandwidth.
+10000

Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Let's see. Some claim to have excellent results following the factory guidelines. Others claim to have excellent results with other protocols. Neither side has any hard data.

I think that means that modern engines are so well designed that it really doesn't matter. Just do what gives you a warm fuzzy feeling while secretly knowing you are doing it right and everyone else is wrong.

Of course, if everyone believed that, it would free up 10% of the internet bandwidth.
You just made my point. If no factual data for either side, I choose to follow the manufacturer recommendations; kind of hard data right there.

If we removed break-in relative to our Porsche's as an example and applied reasoning to any other scenario, given no data to support or disclaim either side, the only safe choice would be to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Anything else IS just speculation.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
You just made my point. If no factual data for either side, I choose to follow the manufacturer recommendations; kind of hard data right there.

If we removed break-in relative to our Porsche's as an example and applied reasoning to any other scenario, given no data to support or disclaim either side, the only safe choice would be to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Anything else IS just speculation.
Good luck with that "using logic" thingy, Chris......

(P.S. +1)
Old 11-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

This is a track car and I have no intention treating it like a Prius for a few months. I plan to drive it like it was intended to be driven from day one. This is a Porsche!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Yes, but would you follow the manufacturer's recommendation in its home country (no recommended break-in) or in some other country?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, but would you follow the manufacturer's recommendation in its home country (no recommended break-in) or in some other country?

+1
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 PM
silverrules
Drifting

LOL. Grant. Are you an engineer by any chance?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
LOL. Grant. Are you an engineer by any chance?
No, much worse: lawyer
Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM
silverrules
Drifting

No, much worse: lawyer
LOL Good for you. My daughter is headed that way in college
Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Back in post #34 of this thread, Chris (911rox) wrote that his ROW manual specified that one should "avoid track use and Porsche schools" for the first 3000KM, which is close to 2K miles. While apparently no RPM limit is specified as it is in the US manual, that seems a consistent indicator that Porsche is recommending against full throttle high rev situations for a considerable number of miles, whether you're in the USA or not.

It's your car, you paid for it, drive it like you want. As I wrote earlier, for full disclosure at resale time just make sure your ad specifies that you flogged the car from day one. I'm sure the potential buyer will understand that "it's a Porsche" and will have no misgivings.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 PM
911dev
Drifting

If you can prove that, I would not be concerned with a break in designed for the USA; hence back to my original assertion regarding evidence supporting or disclaiming. Many people want to jump on the lack of break-in rumor elsewhere because they read it on the internet. If true, wonderful.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
This is a track car and I have no intention treating it like a Prius for a few months. I plan to drive it like it was intended to be driven from day one. This is a Porsche!
Your response is ridiculous on so many levels. Thank you I needed a good laugh.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Back in post #34 of this thread, Chris (911rox) wrote that his ROW manual specified that one should "avoid track use and Porsche schools" for the first 3000KM, which is close to 2K miles. While apparently no RPM limit is specified as it is in the US manual, that seems a consistent indicator that Porsche is recommending against full throttle high rev situations for a considerable number of miles, whether you're in the USA or not.

It's your car, you paid for it, drive it like you want. As I wrote earlier, for full disclosure at resale time just make sure your ad specifies that you flogged the car from day one. I'm sure the potential buyer will understand that "it's a Porsche" and will have no misgivings.
Exactly.

So, by Nick's response, because it's a Porsche, we should just hammer it from day one; I mean it is a Porsche, that alone means there is no break in.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Break In Period for GT3's