Sponsored by:

991 GT3 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I don't dislike the car. I dislike the fact that there's no manual option, that the drivetrain is not based on a motorsport platform (at least not yet), and that they didn't focus more on weight over added tech. There's a difference.

I'm still hopeful they'll address some or all of these issues in the future.

As for the PAG's follies, I hadn't actually seen that statement so interesting observation on your part.
Did you notice that flames come out the tailpipe under hard charging? Perhaps the ecu dumps fuel to keep combustion temps down like used in other applications. I would normally think that such an enriched mixture would not be used except under high load/high rpm conditions, but perhaps the EPA MPG tests include some high load cycling? I do not know.

But if you don't like the motor, PDK, weight, and tech, there's precious left to like.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the USA they need to rob you on the fuel tax as they are giving you the car for free! Here are some deliveries taking place in Europe photographed two days ago.
Attached Images          
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Cool photos, Macca Thanks for posting!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I don't dislike the car. I dislike the fact that there's no manual option, that the drivetrain is not based on a motorsport platform (at least not yet), and that they didn't focus more on weight over added tech. There's a difference.

I'm still hopeful they'll address some or all of these issues in the future.

As for the PAG's follies, I hadn't actually seen that statement so interesting observation on your part.
C'mon, Nizer. Respectfully, you've made your comments about what you dislike about the car often enough, I think we get the point. Besides, if those are really your concerns about the 991 GT3, why start a thread here with a negative (excuse me, "interested") comment about gas mileage of all things?

If you were expecting and you should have posted in the 997GT3 forum.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

high revving motors are fundamentally less efficient than lower RPM motors because the majority of losses are a function of each cycle of the engine. That's probably one big factor. The second is Aero - while it's drag to downforce ratio is probably better than before, the GT3 still has one of the best aero packages of any street car, and that cost is mpg. The last thing I'd guess is the gearing - Higher RPM use.

But like the others, I couldn't care less about the fuel efficiency of a car like this. Those who do - please please please, buy something else, or Porsche will suddenly think we want a turbos and hybrid drivetrain too. (just like how we ended up with a heavier, electric steer, PDK and RWS ridden car
Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I agree with Nizer,pretty low numbers for a DFI with perfect shifts PDK...my 5.4L AMG V8 had similar numbers...not that it would matter too much for the average GT3 buyer... Being a person interested in technical aspects,I'd be curious to know why the low numbers...especially when the poor old manual transmission is many times blamed to be the cause of low MPG numbers! I've seen an RS 4.0 sticker posted in one of the threads and it came with gas guzzler tax. I don't know about the 997 GT3 and RS...?

Disclaimer : I like the car
I think the lower gear ratios are a big part of the mileage issue, especially the shorter 7th gear. Also, I don't believe that PDK is inherently that much (if at all) more efficient than a MT, but it earns it's high mileage EPA numbers in the Carrera because of it's default short shifting auto ECO-mode (which the GT3 doesn't have) and because of Start-Stop (also not on the GT3).

DFI makes a difference, but it's offset by the fact that the 991 GT3 squeezes out 40+ more horsepower than it's same-displacement predecessor. More power comes at a price.

All that said, I think in the real world, the new car will at least match, and perhaps exceed the old one, FWIW, which isn't a whole lot....
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. You are WAY too polite but I like that about you!

Nizer is all over the board slagging this car off. Its like someone came and stole his presents on Xmas morning. There are a few others around here like that too.

Its funny you know but when Rolex launch a watch a Basel I dont like I dont get on the Rolex boards and stalk the threads for that watch constantly claiming that the lug arms are too thick or the minute hand is too wide or it has an ugly dial.

It takes real dedication to follow an entire board on a product you arent interested in and systematically read and respond on every thread this way. I mean that's a real labour of love right? If you were my stalker Id just give up around now I think LOL!

Seriously though the only ting that could drive such dedication is jealousy. Nizer you are jealous of the 991 GT3. Admit it.

Actually mate you have so many cars you could buy that are much more authentic experience to teh ones you currently own and indeed the 991 GT3 like the ST rod/replica in your old avatar and the 64T in your current avatar. I just dont understand why you dont see this as a huge opportunity now to drop the modern 911 and get yourself some choice classic appreciating hard core air kooled metal? Prices in Europe & UK for good air cooled are seriously rocketing into investment grade territory. You wouldnt have to worry about MPG either?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

does aero factor in? I thought the epa mpg tests were done on a dyno.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macca

Its funny you know but when Rolex launch a watch a Basel I dont like I dont get on the Rolex boards and stalk the threads for that watch constantly claiming that the lug arms are too thick or the minute hand is too wide or it has an ugly dial.
Ha!

Maybe I should do that. I have a circa 1984 GMT and a six year old sub. I know the new GMT is far nicer than my old one. Dunno on the sub. But I could stalk some timepiece forums.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think the lower gear ratios are a big part of the mileage issue, especially the shorter 7th gear. Also, I don't believe that PDK is inherently that much more efficient than a MT, but it earns it's high mileage EPA numbers in the Carrera because of it's default short shifting auto ECO-mode (which the GT3 doesn't have) and because of Start-Stop (also not on the GT3). DFI makes a difference, but it's offset by the fact that the 991 GT3 squeezes out 40+ more horsepower than it's same-displacement predecessor. More power comes at a price. All that said, I think in the real world, the new car will at least match, and perhaps exceed the old one, FWIW, which isn't a whole lot....
Thanks for the explanation Mike.

As I said before,I don't consider this a big deal at all...I'll take the flame throwing instead of MPG numbers
Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
does aero factor in? I thought the epa mpg tests were done on a dyno.
Frayed, you are correct. I wasn't aware of this.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Also, I recall the test procedure was changed a few years back to make reported MPG numbers more representative of real world results. This is likely a contributing factor as well. Also, regarding final drive ratios, the numbers are 3.44 vs 3.97 if my source is correct, so about a 14% difference. This could be partially offset with differences in tire diameter, which I haven't checked yet.

Macca: You are on fire. Time to ease up on the Steinlager....

Last edited by Nizer; 11-20-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I dunno what any of you guys are talking about - I rarely got any better than 10mpg in my 997.2 GT3...
Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Macca,you are defending the car every chance you get,but that's ok...I've checked you...I know you don't work for Porsche Just kidding...
Bottom line,I think each side has their good and bad arguments and if kept civilized,a constructive discussion can be the end result.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Dude-
Pro

Low MPG due to shooting flames out the ***. I'll take it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious. I have yet to see a 991GT3 with the painted silver wheel option or the black.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 MPG