Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what confuses me about the GT3. If I can see AND plan ahead I can raise the front end for a driveway. The problem is, I can sometimes miss seeing a speed bump or miss-judge an angle. The lift works up to 30 Km I believe. I was just too worried, that as a DD even with the lift I would tear off the front. I'll be interested to see reports come in about the front end. I get it for track use....not so much city use.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Simply stated, reading this thread ( which is usually cheap entertainment) cost me another 3490 on my build.

I realize the front will scrape, its a fact of life with these type cars, but I would like to be able to avoid some of it.

That said, the first time I gouge the front which is unavoidable, I will wonder why I paid for the lift system?

Rich
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Okay now I have to finalize an order. Don't really care about weight but its definite that there isn't a ride height difference between w/lift and w/o lift cars?

I think it was put out there earlier in this thread but I can't imagine thats the case
I raided this question a while back after studdying any journalist press shots with and without lift and thought the lift cars were height at the front even in static. However its probably just optical illusion or fuel/baggage load. Ive only seen three GT3 in the flesh and they were all non lift. Also most of the UK delivered cars so far Ive seen pictures of have been the same. I dont think this question will be answered until two cars are side by side and even then variance in production cars could make it a tough one...

In terms of the lift I hear its fast, faster than the older car, 1-2s I hear....
Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, it largely depends on where you live and how you intend to use the car BUT having done almost 30000 kms on my 997.2 GT3, I can say that most damage to the front splitter and those brake ducts will be done at low speeds over speed humps and driveways where the front lift will be most helpful to minimise scraping. Not to mention that having it allows you to lower your car more as you have the lift to negotiate these obstacles. Sure, it does rely on you being observant to utilise the front lift...

My front end has only ever bottomed out at speed once or twice to date where the front lift wouldn't help... Negotiating driveways and speed humps it would bottom out several times on every drive considering it is lowered 7mm for track. I rarely scrape unless I forget to lift the car. There is merit to installing the system depending on your situation and intentions.

ps. pretty certain there is no ride height difference between lift and non lift cars as there is only one factory ride height spec given by the factory for ride height when aligning, not a seperate one for each
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Guys, it largely depends on where you live and how you intend to use the car BUT having done almost 30000 kms on my 997.2 GT3, I can say that most damage to the front splitter and those brake ducts will be done at low speeds over speed humps and driveways where the front lift will be most helpful to minimise scraping. Not to mention that having it allows you to lower your car more as you have the lift to negotiate these obstacles. Sure, it does rely on you being observant to utilise the front lift...

My front end has only ever bottomed out at speed once or twice to date where the front lift wouldn't help... Negotiating driveways and speed humps it would bottom out several times on every drive considering it is lowered 7mm for track. I rarely scrape unless I forget to lift the car. There is merit to installing the system depending on your situation and intentions.

ps. pretty certain there is no ride height difference between lift and non lift cars as there is only one factory ride height spec given by the factory for ride height when aligning, not a seperate one for each
Makes total sense to me. Agree on the height difference (or lack of) as well. The lift is integral with the PASM struts and according to what I've read damping, spring rates, and overall suspension performance and ride are unaffected.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 PM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, wouldn't have thought that the clearance is that big…

Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Raised or lowered??? If that's normal ride height it certainly would seem to have more clearance than the 997.2...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^^^ Raised or lowered??? If that's normal ride height it certainly would seem to have more clearance than the 997.2...
Post #48 has a nose to nose pic of a 991 and 997. Looks the same to me, regardless of the pic with the ruler....
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Photos can be deceptive Mike. Including the 3-4mm before the 0 mark, that car is sitting at approx 125mm... Just ran out to the garage and measured my car using a tape measure, 107mm at the centre point...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Photos can be deceptive Mike. Including the 3-4mm before the 0 mark, that car is sitting at approx 125mm... Just ran out to the garage and measured my car using a tape measure, 107mm at the centre point...
True, Chris. And to that point, the perspective in the photo with the ruler makes it difficult to determine exactly which point of the spoiler is being measured. A head on picture of the spoiler and ruler, with zero parallax, rather than one from the side taken with a WA lens which itself distorts the view, would be more accurate. Or best of all, an actual measurement with a tape like you did.

To me, the nose to nose picture of the 997 and 991 seems pretty definitive. Anyway, when I get my car I'll measure and we can compare.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Valid points and to add, being stiff, the suspension will likely need a little time and some use to settle...
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Y'all are splitting hairs.. When you start talking millimeters you know you've lost the plot.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

lmao... Hairs must grow pretty thick in your part of town if 3/4" ain't much...
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its those bulges that stick down in front of the wheels behind the splitter that Im worried about. Thats new for the 991 versus 997. Pretty boxy and look to me easy to crack and break versus the usual just put some nice scratches on instead which no one ever sees anyway. Lift wont help with those things when your driving normally or on track which is where Im most worried - kerbs and those things dont look like theyd mix very well especially as they are ahead of the wheels therefore the car wont rebound until the wheels mount the kerbs. time will tell. hope Im totally wrong about this.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thought I would update this thread with a couple of new items.

First, the lift is much quicker than advertised; it raises in about 1 second which means you can use it spontaneously, without having to stop in traffic to wait for it.

Even more interesting is that the claim of it staying lifted up to 30mph before lowering automatically is conservative. Today I found myself on a really crappy rural road and had to slow way down to avoid repeated scrapes of the brake ducts. I raised the front and continued along at about 25 mph with no further problems. As the road improved a bit, I increased speed to see when the lift would come down. The nose stayed up until I touched 39mph, when it finally lowered. That was a high enough threshold for me to drive as fast as I wanted to, given the road surface, without having to worry about bottoming anything out.

Quick Reply: Ground clearance?