Sponsored by:

resale color

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts
Default resale color

Forgive me for starting a thread on resale when none of us have received our cars yet! I may be headed overseas for a couple years and so may end up selling my 991 GT3, only 6-12 months after I receive the car.

So my question is this. What color (other than white) would be most desired by GT3 drivers, if I have to sell the car in short order 1 year from now?

I have a slot for April 2014 delivery and since the production is limited, I'm hoping to being able to enjoy the car for 6-12 months, and resell it without loosing too much on it. However, I still might just store it for a couple years, if I find I can't bear to part with it.

I recognize that white is popular for GT3 owners, but I hate white on any car and white isn't an option in case I decide to keep the car. I'm open to any other color.

Guards red certainly adds punch to the car, but seems to be polarizing among Porsche owners, either they hate it or love it. Also attracts cops, and I'm saving red for a future Ferrari purchase.

Black adds menace, but all the small styling details and air intakes are lost when the car is in black. Also I searched for photos of each color online, and relatively few black GT3s could be found, which suggests this would not be a popular color choice.

Wasn't excited about silver, because so many cars on the road are done in silver. However, in silver you can see the lines of the GT3 nicely, doesn't attract cops, looked good in the Chris Harris review, and from our Rennlist poll it seems that 20% of us would choose some kind of silver/gray.

So leaning toward Rhodium Silver, but wanted to ask about the resale color from the Rennlisters who have seen GT3s come and go over the years.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-17-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-17-2013, 02:37 PM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Rhodium Silver TT/S at my dealer this week and it looked very nice, I would describe it as crisp and clean looking. I think it would appeal to a lot of people and as such be a very good resale color.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM
new GT3
Advanced

As an additional thought regarding Rhodium Silver; you may want to consider silver wheels as that's what the TT/S had and it looked good. If you want to see the car go to the 991 Turbo forum and look up "A short vid on the Turbo S" The car looks lighter in person than it does in the video.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with racing yellow. I would pick up a gt3 in that. Good idea to save the red for ferrari. Unfortunately, something I didn't do, got guards red on porsche and rosso corsa on ferrari, mainly because when i bought the former i had no idea i would be buying the latter in less than two years.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guards red looks really good on the GT3. I chose white, but I debated long and hard on the red.

If those two are out, I'd guess one of the silvers would be the safest bet. Personally I wouldn't choose silver, but it is very popular and easy to maintain.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

GT Silver. Hard to find and always in demand. On the downside it's an upcharge color.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

White, silver, black or grey. Whichever you like more.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Cant go wrong with black. Stands the test of time.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Black is awesome but white is something else on GT3. Here is my 997.2 dressed in black.

Last edited by silverrules; 12-10-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
tmg57
Racer

I doubt that color will matter very much. Any buyer looking for a used GT3 in the next year will have very few cars to choose from and will pretty much have to take what he can get. Unless, of course, the prophecies of some of the critics come to pass and the car is a bust, in which case nobody will want one!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I really like red on the GT3. It is especially appealing with the satin platinum wheels and as a bonus there is no up charge. Also, it matches the standard brakes and red interior stitching and belts if optioned. Ultimately, I think that the color I would choose depends on how I would use the car. If it were for weekends and track I would go with red. Otherwise, I like GT silver the best.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Get what you like.
I think that for at least the first year, these will be hard to find pre-owned in any color.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Drifting: I have never heard another person so clearly summarize my exact debate that I'm having right now re: color and your opinions match mine for every single color. Well done. I think I might have an identical twin out there that I didn't know about. Only thing that I'd add about the white is I actually like the way it looks in the front and sides of the GT3, but something's missing from the rear -- it needs a black wing or something to mix things up. Now, suffice it to say to that I recognize these are first-world problems and the reality is that you could paint mine in puke brown metallic (Apr-May '14 build) and I'd still enjoy every second of back-roads driving and would be grinning ear-to-ear. I'm 50/50 between Rhodium and White right now. I've asked my local dealer to call me when they start getting Dec / Jan deliveries so I can drive by and see them in the flesh as they come through. I've probably seen every photo online of the GT3 in every color, but seeing it in-person is what I still need.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Cant go wrong with black. Stands the test of time.
Black is a great color (no-color) but time is the operative word in your comment. As in having time to keep it clean and looking good. I've owned 3 black cars (slow learner), and while I've been tempted, I haven't given in again to black's charms.....
Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by tmg57
I doubt that color will matter very much. Any buyer looking for a used GT3 in the next year will have very few cars to choose from and will pretty much have to take what he can get. Unless, of course, the prophecies of some of the critics come to pass and the car is a bust, in which case nobody will want one!
This.

Choose the color you want provided that it's not a super polarizing PTS color. Like a nasty green or violet or something. All the mainstream colors should prove easy to sell given the supply demand curve around when you would sell. Picking your color has the added benefit of hedging your bets since there some probability that your oversees plans could change and/or you decide to hold the car.

That said, here are my views:

Black is awesome but (i) it's a PITA having owned 5 black 911's including my current 3.6 Turbo, and (ii) while great for that stealth 'murdered' look, it doesn't show off the lines of the new car at all, and w/o much silver/chrome accents it looks too washed out to me.

White: as you said not an option. I agree with this.

Red: I chose guards for my upcoming build. I've had a Ferrari in red and I don't think you need to 'reserve' it for the italian machine. And, I actually prefer F cars in grigio and tdf blue cause red attracts even more (unwanted) attentioon from a car that is already rare and over the top. I haven't owned a red car in nearly 20 years (except for the Ferrari), but the 991 looks great in red so I had to do it.

Yellow: I loved my speed yellow GT3 but been there done that. It's even more polarizing than red. I sold it after 6 months cause I decided to pick up an older, rarer aircooled car and buy a second home. But, if it's any help, I sold the GT3 within 4 days of listing it, and I had people coming out of the woodwork to buy it.

Silver: I don't like silver in general b/c too common, but even I will admit that the 991 looks great in rhodium. Not enough for me to choose that color, but it looks great.

Color is the hardest choice. I'm actually contemplating PTS in Mexico Blue or Gulf Blue. . . . .

Quick Reply: resale color