Sponsored by:

Production has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I thought it was the brakes and the e-diff. Speaking of which, I'm starting to wonder about how durable the e-diff will be with track use. I heard that the standard mechanical LSD in the 997 GT3 wasn't durable, and that was certainly my experience with the LSD in the Cayman R.
You're right, the two work in tandem. Hopefully, the e-diff will prove more robust than the old mechanical LSD.

What I found very interesting is that the description for PTV+ differs for the GT3 compared to the Carrera. The Carrera PTV+ applies brakes at the inside rear wheel at every turn in. If the text below can be believed, the "specially adapted" version of PTV+ on the GT3 applies brakes only on low friction surfaces, for example in the wet. From the web site:

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus is fitted as standard and has been specially adapted to the new 911 GT3. It operates in conjunction with an electronically regulated and fully variable rear differential lock. Numerous driving parameter inputs are the basis for the system’s active control outputs. The results are perceptible, particularly at the limits of dynamic performance: greater traction, increased lateral dynamics and a significant improvement in driving stability under the effects of load changes in corners and when the car changes lane. On surfaces with less grip, such as in the wet, the system strategically brakes the right or left rear wheel. This means that, whenever the car enters a corner, brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is applied to the outside rear wheel. This improves steering behavior and increases agility.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Back to the topic - my car has been built. It's ready!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Big Congratulations! When you get a cghance ask your dealer for the VIN number. Im keen to know if our cars a sisters...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Back to the topic - my car has been built. It's ready!
Max, I don't know if your car got built before mine or your sales guy is quicker to notify but congrats in any event! Have to go make a call now...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Big Congratulations! When you get a cghance ask your dealer for the VIN number. Im keen to know if our cars a sisters...
Thanks. Asked for VIN. I've got commission number (356846). By the way, how do you know the order number for your car?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Max, I don't know if your car got built before mine or your sales guy is quicker to notify but congrats in any event! Have to go make a call now...
My rep is on fire today. He told me that my car was finished first, but they will arrive simultaneously mid-Jan.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My rep is on fire today. He told me that my car was finished first, but they will arrive simultaneously mid-Jan.
Aha, so I get the "newer" version.

Thanks for the info, waiting for a callback from my guy. Looks like maybe we can start planning the C&C at Sonnen now!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Max. I have only been told the VIN number of the car. WP0ZZZ...ES180536 (I do not know the commission number etc). When the chassis is created in the PAG system upon commencement of production I assume this is when the VIN number is created. Its like its birth certificate number I guess. I suspect the Europe dealers do things different form the USA dealers. That being said if you vehicle has now exited production i suspect your dealer must have access shortly to VIN number as its needed for importation of vehicle & compliance etc. I was just curious that is all as you look like week 47 production too.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hi Max. I have only been told the VIN number of the car. WP0ZZZ...ES180536 (I do not know the commission number etc). When the chassis is created in the PAG system upon commencement of production I assume this is when the VIN number is created. Its like its birth certificate number I guess. I suspect the Europe dealers do things different form the USA dealers. That being said if you vehicle has now exited production i suspect your dealer must have access shortly to VIN number as its needed for importation of vehicle & compliance etc. I was just curious that is all as you look like week 47 production too.
FWIW, I've had the commission number since I placed my actual order was placed. I'm going to ask if the VIN is available yet.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Mine ends with 3087, so it looks that they made a lot of cars very quickly (assuming numbers are sequential).
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky bastards !
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand the VIN # may not be sequential. Allan
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mmmm. Also US VIN may start from a different range than ROW VIN....my not be as useful as I thought...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Any Australians out there got a delivery date yet?

Thinking of placing an order but have to get over the $330k speed bump first, then quoted a 6 month wait.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Maddogoz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Melbourne based.
ordered 2 months ago scheduled production was November. Dealer waiting to find our if it's been delayed

Quick Reply: Production has begun!