Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable do you think PDK trannies will be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:32 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had well over 100k miles on my manual Boxster S with still 2/3 of the life on the original clutch when I sold it. Now I have over 85k on my PDK C2S and the unit is solid as a rock.

Bottom line: both could go out at any time but will probably be reliable for many many miles. Buy the transmission you prefer to drive.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ethel19
When I got my 997 GT3.2 one of the thoughts I had in my head was that my manual trannie just might be more reliable in the long run than a PDK, ect.
After having many cars over the years that had hundreds of thousands of miles on their manual trannies with no problems whatsoever I thought it was the way to go. Well with about 15,000 miles on my car the car started to pop out of second gear all on it's own. The dealer was great and pulled the trannie out and put in a new "kit" they said even thought they admitted that neither they or Porsche knew what was causing the problem. Now with 20,000 miles on the car the trannie is fine. No more popping out of second. Having said all that I must admit I was a bit saddened that this happened. Like I said I have NEVER had this happen or any other problem before despite many cars before this with manual 's only. How do you think that the new PDK will fare in the new GT3 and can anyone comment on if they have had any problems with past cars that have had a PDK before?
This should answer your question about quality of the transmission. No other car brand could come close to this must continuous use. The PDK is amazing and bullet proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7ohttp://
Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Yup! My old 2013 M5 maybe twice and you get the bad boy message no no that's it I'm hot!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
because the track era has mostly passed now.
there will always be a few, but i don't think we will again see the days of 20 - 30 gt3's turning up.
those days are gone.
There's a track in Northwestern Germany where seeing 20 GT3's would be a slow day
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I think the PDK itself is not a problem. Mechanically, it is probably perfect.

The electrics / sensors / control units I think are the weak point. Especially in hot environments...
^^ This.
And even if it's just a sensor that is bad, they replace the entire transmission. It cannot be repaired. Or, more accurately, Porsche will not allow it to be repaired. If the car is out of warranty, it's not cheap! (about the cost of a spec boxster)

The 987 PDK cars have a known issue with heat, even the versions with a center radiator. I've been told it's heat from the differential that is transferred to the transmission. From what I understand, the 981 cars added additional cooling to the differential. Transmission and diff cooling in the 911 variants is better. The most current version should be the best. In theory.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Asked two teams here in Nürburg today about the PDK's reliability. In short: very good reliability, only problem is overheating which might make the shifting speed slower and some times erratic.
This is teams that compete in endurance racing.

One of them said: After running the box for whole season they open it just to see that they could close it again.

Total weight of PDK is 80 kg incl 18kg wiring and electronics.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toward the end of this season here in UAE, we had one 991 RS Gearbox failure.

I dont know the full technical details, but somehow the coolant leaked into the gearbox and whole gearbox had to be replaced.

Porsche service center had done an absolutely exceptional job and she was back on track within two weeks with a brand new gearbox. Hats off to the team for their on going support.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my PDK-S replaced:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13341679
but nobody seemed to have seen anything similar (transmission oil leak).
A lot of track miles since and running like a charm...
Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just did launch control in a PDK for the first time today. Simply amazing!! If it's really that reliable, my 6MT "want" maybe be dying down a bit...lol

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
This should answer your question about quality of the transmission. No other car brand could come close to this must continuous use. The PDK is amazing and bullet proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7ohttp://
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Lets see... the air cooled cars many of them 40-50 years old have transmissions that have never been opened except for clutches.

I can say with certainty, that with complexity comes less reliability.

So, PDK will be less reliable long term than manual transmissions.

What that means though, who. Knows.,

Bigger issue in my mind is servicability. These transmissions are fully serviceable. But, porsche does not make parts available for them. So unless the aftermarket fully supports longer term you're left in a situation where very expensive replacement upon failure is the only option.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Lets see... the air cooled cars many of them 40-50 years old have transmissions that have never been opened except for clutches.

I can say with certainty, that with complexity comes less reliability.

So, PDK will be less reliable long term than manual transmissions.

What that means though, who. Knows.,

Bigger issue in my mind is servicability. These transmissions are fully serviceable. But, porsche does not make parts available for them. So unless the aftermarket fully supports longer term you're left in a situation where very expensive replacement upon failure is the only option.

^^^ THIS!!!!

Quick Reply: How reliable do you think PDK trannies will be?