Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample choice for GT3

Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint to Sample choice for GT3

For those thinking of doing PTS for their GT3, what colour are you thinking of getting ??

I have attached the most recent approved listing for PTS

Attached Images
Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't realize there were so many whites!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I thought they had licensing issues with Gulf blue.

Gulf, Riviera, pastel orange, gold mica or white gold metallic.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Voodoo Blue
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mexico Blue. I tried introducing PTS to my RHD order 10 days ago (scheduled build week 47 although I suspect that will become week 49) and was told it would knock it back until Q2 next year and I may not be guaranteed of a RHD allocation for at least the next two months as the factory are not taking any more RHD orders on the system right now. That scared me into keeping the White! Plus the price is ridiculous for a colour that isnt technically custom (i.e. Mexico blue is just a matter of changing some paint in the spray booth).
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gulf Orange
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting this.

I'm a bit sad that Atlas Grey is not approved.

Happy to see Signal Green, Voodoo Blue, Mexico Blue, and Peridot are available.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Rivierablue or Oakgreen would be my choice!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Blues always seem to be popular...
Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Where do you Guys learn ab these unique colors?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Further on the latest PTS approved list

I thank Rennlist member Conekilr for attaching the latest list. For those of you that have followed the previous approved PTS color lists for the 991/981 that I and others have posted at my 991 'Custom Ordering' Rennlist thread (which alone has nearly 50,000 views!),

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

you will find some interesting surprises on this latest list - other that Gulf Blue (#328) has been finally approved! Lord and behold, they have also approved 'Signal Yellow' (#114) and 'Signal Green' (#22S). Also 'Viper Green' (#225). Tangerine (Blutorange) is on Feasibility status! All of this is great news!

A word of caution. Please understand that how any one PTS gets on the approved list is that someone has requested that specific color 'formula' and it has been approved. But there might be different color formulas for a particular color name! Let me give you an example. When I was in Zuffenhausen last April, I had an extensive 2 hour VIP visit with 'Porsche Exclusive' and I discussed this subject with them at length. I used to own a '07 997S done in PTS 'Signal Green'. It was 'colour code # W25'. Yet in the early 1990's, the factory had done some cars in something they called 'Signal Green' which had a 'colour code #22S'. In the sixties & seventies, the factory also had different color formulation for 'Signal Green' with various color number codes (although they are now mostly referred to as color code #217 for all 'Signal Green' in that early era).

In the attached photos which I took at Porsche Exclusive's office in Zuffenhausen last Spring (2013), you can see that there is a difference between Signal Green 'W25' and Signal Green '217'. The person(s) who got the 'Signal Green' approved for his/her 991 in the past few months decided on Signal Green '22S' (not pictured) but which has quite a bit of blue (similar to color 217 in the photo). If I were to order a 991 in 'Signal Green', I would insist on color formula 'W25', which has more yellow in the tint and absolutely gorgeous! But it's all personal preferences. But if you are spending $5500 for this PTS option and putting up with all the delays such order may entail, please be aware that not all colors - even if they have the same official factory 'name' - are exactly alike! Do your own research and verify with Porsche Germany that the formula you see on the 'approved list' is for the exact color you had your heart set on!

In these photos, you will also see the official Porsche factory color chip for Viper Green (225). And you can compare it to the various Signal Greens and also the 'RS Green' color code 2d8 (factory now calls it just 'Grun'). Hopefully, some of you will find this useful.

'Signal Yellow' is an absolutely awesome color. I had an original paint 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe in that color. See attached factory color plate (114-9-1). So that gives me some hope that the approved 991/981 color is similar since it is coded 114. Remember that the only 997 gt3 RS in 'Signal Yellow' went for big bucks when it went on re-sale in England. The factory only allowed this one 'Signal Yellow' RS and refused to do any more. So the approval for this PTS color in the 991/981 is incredibly good news and I hope some of you take advantage of it!

Gulf Blue. We will await to see how this 'colour code 328' resembles the historic Gulf Blue of the longhood era. We were pretty sure we wouldn't see it due to copyright restrictions with Gulf Oil Company. But what this tells me is that (most likely) Gulf will return as a major factory sponsor of Porsche at LeMans next year and that is why Gulf has relented to 'approve' use of their 'colors' in PTS production. I now expect to see the glorious Gulf Blue & Orange colors on a Porsche prototype at the Circuit de la Sarthe in 2014! Mark my words.

BlutOrange/Tangerine is on the feasibility list now. That means it's under test to see if it passes all the proper fading and adherence standards. I was instrumental in getting the person that was interested in this color for his 991 order an actual photograph of the official 'colour chip' at Zuffenhausen. It is color code 018 and I have attached a photo compared to another orange color available - Pastell Z17. I am glad to see that the order is 'in' and the feasibility study for this great historic color in under technical consideration.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
Attached Images       
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up Z356. Have to agree, signal yellow will be an awsome color on a 991 GT3. What are my chances of having a feasibility check for rs orange in your opinion? Who should I go through to start the process other then my dealer?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Z356 thanks for your post - always a lot of great info! Really like the signal yellow. Think PTS is the best option that can be ordered to enhance the value of a Porsche.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Think PTS is the best option that can be ordered to enhance the value of a Porsche.
Totally agree...if it's a desirable PTS color! Choose wisely.

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
What are my chances of having a feasibility check for rs orange in your opinion? Who should I go through to start the process other then my dealer?
'RS Orange' was discontinued (due to technical paint issues) by the factory during the 997.2 period and has NOT been resurrected for the 991/981. The last PTS 'RS Orange' for the US was done in MY2010 (at least 2 PTS gt3's were done in that model year- one for Rosyln in Long Island & another for The Collection in Miami). For MY2011, the factory recommended 'Pastellorange Z17' as a replacement color for those wanting something like 'RS Orange'. Z17 is much brighter color than 'RS Orange'. Earlier this year the factory approved 'Gulf Orange' for the 991/981. This is a much richer version of orange (in my opinion) than Z17. And it is a 'historic' 911 color dating back to the early 1970's! It should resell much better than 'PastellOrange', which connotes the wrong 'visual image' of the actual orange color by its inept name. 'Gulf Orange' would be the color I would aim to get if I was ordering today a PTS in that hue. I suggest you read in full post #121 on page 9 of the main 'Custom Ordering, 'Porsche Exclusive' & You' thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...and-you-9.html

The 'BlutOrange', or Tangerine, will also be a glorious color to have on a 991. But it is not pure 'orange' (has more red of course!) and has not yet been approved.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

eduardo is the MASTER OF PTS.
listen to the man.

i on the other hand will order hello kitty pink.

sorry that's a typo
i want hello titty pink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint to Sample choice for GT3