Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample choice for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter. Fashion Grey is an excellent choice IMHO. I believe a PTS of a colour like this will enhance resale value in the future.

Gros Chien. I think you mean June 2014 production. That may be called 2015 car but it is made after June 2014 right? Production of 991 GT3 will finish by Oct/Nov 2014 from what I am told (although no doubt subject to change).
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Thanks Macca. As much as I like the blues (my vintage 911 is Pastel Blue and my Radical is another shade of Blue), I am leaning towards Fashion Grey...It is a colour that is understated (much like myself), and changes it's appearance depending on lighting. Stone Gray is another one I like too, very similar to Fashion Grey but with green under tones. Both are old 356 colours...

change your avatar, or PTS your GT3 same color as the Cayman!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

The pictures I posted of Fashion Grey is of a 991 in Texas. I myself have not seen this colour in person but may have a paint shop do up a fender for me before making a final decision...

That is a good idea. I will look into that as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'Porsche Exclusive' & PTS

Originally Posted by Macca
If you dont mind waiting I think it will definitely be worth it (although I found the cost to be over the top for a colour they had already signed off - its more a "non standard" colour than a true colour to sample job IMO).
Macca: If you examine what other manufacturers charge, if they were to allow PTS at all (which is only a handful), the cost of PTS at Porsche is really NOT over the top! Trust me on that. You can do PTS in any color you choose - not just those already pre-approved by others that have actually custom ordered a car in those colors. It just takes time to test your particular desired 'color' and might never be approved due to technical paint issues of fading, etc. Or you might lose your production slot if the process takes too long.

But regardless my stated reservations at the manner in which the program is currently administered by PCNA here in the United States, I still believe 'Porsche Exclusive' is truly one of the greatest bespoke services in all of European auto business today! And I urge Rennlisters to get to know all the capabilities of the 'Exclusive' department with regards to special custom orders. The creation of a highly personalized Porsche will be a unique experience that might be one of the most gratifying purchase decision that you ever make in your lifetime! I speak from some limited experience on the subject:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
change your avatar, or PTS your GT3 same color as the Cayman!
Peridot suits the Cayman R but I don't think it translates to the 991 very well, especially a GT3.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Peridot Green Metallic

Peridot suits the Cayman R but I don't think it translates to the 991 very well, especially a GT3.
Unfortunately, ''Peridot Green Metallic'' turns close to 'Lime Gold Metallic' (second photo) under certain light! 'Peridot' is an attractive color compared to 'Lime Gold', but it rarely looks as vividly 'green' as Conekilr's avatar will have you believe. I am sure he would be the first one to admit that! Filters can do wonders in modern photography!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

^^^^ Eduardo, actually my avatar is an accurate representation of how Peridot looks in natural light. It is stunning in person but I personally wouldn't want it on a GT3.

I find most metallic colours hard to accurately photograph. They are best seen in person as they change so much in different light.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Eduardo,

Thanks for the pics. Would you agree that Speed Yellow, at least in your photos, looks pretty close to Signal Yellow? I've seen Racing Yellow in person and it is not my cup of tea.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Peter. Fashion Grey is an excellent choice IMHO. I believe a PTS of a colour like this will enhance resale value in the future.

Gros Chien. I think you mean June 2014 production. That may be called 2015 car but it is made after June 2014 right? Production of 991 GT3 will finish by Oct/Nov 2014 from what I am told (although no doubt subject to change).
I mean, I was offered a built date end of this year and I pass. I want a 2015 GT3 so they promess I was gonna have the first allocation they get for a 2015 year model GT3. So far she's gonna be PTS Signal Yellow.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by john weires
Eduardo,

Thanks for the pics. Would you agree that Speed Yellow, at least in your photos, looks pretty close to Signal Yellow? I've seen Racing Yellow in person and it is not my cup of tea.
In a word, John, 'NO!'. 'Speed' is much more 'mustard' than the more vibrant 'Signal Yellow'. It is all a matter of personal taste, of course. But there are few, if any, hues of yellow that are more attractive than 'Signal'. And it's a historic early 911 long-hood color that will be highly desirable in a 991 gt3 to serious collectors in years to come!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
In a word, John, 'NO!'. 'Speed' is much more 'mustard' than the more vibrant 'Signal Yellow'. It is all a matter of personal taste, of course. But there are few, if any, hues of yellow that are more attractive than 'Signal'. And it's a historic early 911 long-hood color that will be highly desirable in a 991 gt3 to serious collectors in years to come!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo, it's been a while and I missed seeing your posts in this forum. Glad to see you sharing your expert views on this topic!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo, it's been a while and I missed seeing your posts in this forum. Glad to see you sharing your expert views on this topic!
+1
I've been fond of your posts for sometime, Eduardo. Has anyone ever offered you money in return for your time, so that you could help them spec a car?

Hopefully, in the coming years I'll either be a pain in 'Porsche Exclusive's backside, or I'll be sending you a blank check and a plane ticket in order to help me make sure one of my dream cars is done to my 100% satisfaction.

Thanks for your many years of invaluable posting.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Mike.

Originally Posted by Zeus
Has anyone ever offered you money in return for your time, so that you could help them spec a car?
Yes, all the time. Mostly girls with sexy voices that ask me to please call them back at telephone numbers with a 900 area code. But I have not yet fallen for it. On the other hand, I often accept collect calls from so-called Porsche enthusiasts in far away Nigeria. Curiously, they all tell me they are related to the singer Sade or some other high-ranking Nigerian Princess. I just have a weak spot for scam artists from Africa...especially if they are really into Porsches and want to talk long distance.

Originally Posted by Zeus
Hopefully, in the coming years I'll...be a pain in 'Porsche Exclusive's backside.
That is the ticket, Zeus. Call/email Sascha or Melissa. That is their full time job. That is what each is paid to do. Don't give up or compromise. Persist until you and they get your order just right. You'll be glad you fought for it. It is worth it at the end.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Arena Red. Its the Dark Red that Porsche put on their 993 Turbos.

That is if I was going to get a GT3.

I want to get Arena Red on my 991TT/Non-S asking one of the Customer Consultation Exclusive & Tequipment Reps, well the Head Rep Sascha Glasier and he said that using an old Color/Paint that was used in the past would forego the Six Months worth of testing to see if your special little color would work on their special little metal cars. But it still cost that PTS price.

Sometimes I just wonder if I should just get my New Car painted here in the States in Southern California since we have so much talent here. And . Could shoot Mr Bumper Plugs an eMail to get the specifics for.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Arena Red. Its the Dark Red that Porsche put on their 993 Turbos.

That is if I was going to get a GT3.

I want to get Arena Red on my 991TT/Non-S asking one of the Customer Consultation Exclusive & Tequipment Reps, well the Head Rep Sascha Glasier and he said that using an old Color/Paint that was used in the past would forego the Six Months worth of testing to see if your special little color would work on their special little metal cars. But it still cost that PTS price.

Sometimes I just wonder if I should just get my New Car painted here in the States in Southern California since we have so much talent here. And . Could shoot Mr Bumper Plugs an eMail to get the specifics for.
My opinion (worthless) I would *NEVER* look at a previously owned vehicle that had any aftermarket paint work other than that required for damage repair ... or I would (de)value that car accordingly ... even if Michaelangelo sprayed it...

I also wonder if you can get a complete respray for less than $5k???

YMMV

just sayin ...

maybe do an arena wrap instead?

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample choice for GT3