991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoZeitung 991 GT3 vs Turbo S test

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The Dunlops that come on the GT3 are one set of tires that have proven (on the GT-R at least) to be as fast as R-compound rubber (R888) in back to back tests with pro drivers.
These Dunlops have a treadwear rating of 80 and I believe are considered to be R-comps. I've used them on a Cayman and 997 and, at their best, found the grip comparable to R888s, not quite as good as NT01s. But I haven't found the Dunlops to be a 'real' track tire, because they're prone to getting overheated, at which point the grip falls way off and they can disintegrate (I corded about a half dozen of them at inside or outside edges), and they feel floppy when tire pressures are low (sidewalls not stiff enough?), so the sweet spot is only a few good laps per session. Nice street tire though (quiet, feels grippy and precise, fine in the rain), and probably good for occasional track days at beginner or intermediate level.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
An acquaintance tests and tunes for one of the big three. As part of his program he tested summer tires a few years ago, roughly 265 through 305. One of the surprising things he found was that in PS2s, the 265 (OE BMW M3) was significantly sticker than the 285 (OE BMW M5). Michelin had used different compounds and constructions for each to suit the manufacturer's requirements.

Competition to land an OE tire contract like the Turbo S is pretty hot, and tire manufactures are going to produce whatever the Porsche wants, regardless of what it says on the tin, using the latest compounds and construction. Not four year old Corsa tech. Thus it's hard to know what they decided to go with in this case, but sweeper cornering speeds were significantly lower than the GT3, suggesting they are significantly less sticky than the MPSC2 at least.

Sam, you might throw a set of those on- they should work pretty well on the TS, as they were designed with similar weights, etc in mind. They'd likely match the car better than the Trofeo.
I have the PZeros and my C4S came with them as well. The new ones are, without a doubt, very sticky (noticeabloy more than the MPSS). However, they do not like heat one bit. After 12-15 minutes of hot laps, depending oin ambient temp, they become greasy. In the summer (Texas), they blister from the first session. I tried shaving them, heat cycling them, nothing works. In the current weather (60-70), they are doing great and wearing like one would expect from a 3500 lb car with tons of power. Once the PSC2 come out, I will try them. I have very consistent lap times so I should be able to tell the difference.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Saw a Turbo S in the showroom today. Looks pretty menacing. But $190K sticker, yikes!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe I'm confused by the way it's worded, but I read the Porsche description as just the opposite: up to 3 degrees above 50mph and 1.5 degrees below 30. Am I wrong?

Thanks to the new rear-axle steering which is fitted as standard, everyday practicability and performance have both been equally increased. The system consists of two electromechanical actuators fitted on the rear axle instead of the conventional tie rod. It therefore steers the rear wheels of the new 911 Turbo models from +3 to –1.5 degrees in the same or opposite direction as the steering angle on the front axle, depending on speed.
Panorama, Issue 679, Pg 47 has a far clearer description of Turbo RWS:
"Below 31 MPH, the rear wheels turn as much as 2.8 degrees opposite the fronts. This shrinks the car's turning circle to just 34.8 feet, 1.6 feet tighter than a VW Golf. Between 31 MPH and 50 MPH, rear steering enjoys the scenery,
but above that the rear wheels turn the same direction as the front. At that point, they can shift up to 1.8 degrees, creating a crabbing effect that makes lane changes extremely efficient"
Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Panorama, Issue 679, Pg 47 has a far clearer description of Turbo RWS:
"Below 31 MPH, the rear wheels turn as much as 2.8 degrees opposite the fronts. This shrinks the car's turning circle to just 34.8 feet, 1.6 feet tighter than a VW Golf. Between 31 MPH and 50 MPH, rear steering enjoys the scenery,
but above that the rear wheels turn the same direction as the front. At that point, they can shift up to 1.8 degrees, creating a crabbing effect that makes lane changes extremely efficient"
That seems to clarify which way the wheels turn relative to steering input and when, although I'd have a little more confidence if Pano's and Porsche's numbers matched!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That seems to clarify which way the wheels turn relative to steering input and when, although I'd have a little more confidence if Pano's and Porsche's numbers matched!
It's like Porsche recently published lap times - They just round off to the nearest whole number. LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
IMO, doing these comparisons without using identical tires (regardless of the tires the car ships with) doesn't make sense. Tires make a big difference in both objective performance and subjective feel of the car. I've run my 997.1 C2S with the Dunlop SM Race tires and Super Sport street tires. The Dunlops make the car significantly more enjoyable on the road, and will surely put down a better lap time than the Super Sports.
It DOES make sense! They are testing products as they are sold because that's what people buy.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SharpMan
It DOES make sense! They are testing products as they are sold because that's what people buy.
Yes, but tires make a substantial difference, are easily changed, and don't last long when used on the track anyway. So if you really want to compare the cars, you need to standardize everything else - tires, driver, track, track condition, etc.

Quick Reply: AutoZeitung 991 GT3 vs Turbo S test