Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Magazine awards 991 GT3 its coveted Car of the Year Award (eCOTY)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
+1, especially if it's an open road. If it's a closed road with proper safety, fine. Even then, though, I am not sure I see it as terribly applicable in the review of road cars in the same way some folks I respect do, but I understand why they do it: for the fun of it, for those evocative images others here have noted, and as proof that the car being tested has been taken to and beyond its limits for the conditions.

Very cool to see the 991 GT3 win eCOTY. Almost immediately, I wondered if it would when I drove it last summer. As I said: For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is a 10 out of 10—and maybe even an 11 out of 10. Sounds like the crew at EVO found it to be the latter after more time with it on roads they know and like. That the GT3 defeated the F12 is deeply impressive to me, given CH's review of the latter.

pete
Were the roads closed when you and CH had your drives earlier this year?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
+1, especially if it's an open road. If it's a closed road with proper safety, fine. Even then, though, I am not sure I see it as terribly applicable in the review of road cars in the same way some folks I respect do, but I understand why they do it: for the fun of it, for those evocative images others here have noted, and as proof that the car being tested has been taken to and beyond its limits for the conditions.

Very cool to see the 991 GT3 win eCOTY. Almost immediately, I wondered if it would when I drove it last summer. As I said: For those open to PDK, the new GT3 is a 10 out of 10—and maybe even an 11 out of 10. Sounds like the crew at EVO found it to be the latter after more time with it on roads they know and like. That the GT3 defeated the F12 is deeply impressive to me, given CH's review of the latter.

pete
agreed..what I dont understand: they clearly say the new one has lost on steering feel, engine feel, + - the gearbox - loss of manual etc. Those are clear criticisms..yes, the last minute is fascinating, but would have been equally so in the 997 GT3. With regards to the Ferrari they didnt put such negative arguments, or? Still the 991 GT3 wins..- logic (?)

As frayed put it: "its called media"...not my business at all.

PS: early next year I will be able to drive the 991 GT3 as well, back to back with my 997 GT3..I will report. Im not doubting that I might be fascinated also about the PdK, but I know already now that the car will not be an option for me, having already enough other road worthy cars, its time for me to upgrade to a "real race car" (e.g. CUP, or formula; if I factor in the deprciation of the 991 GT3 it might be even more expensive then a second hand post 2010 CUP)..in life you always have to move upwards..new challenges etc... A 991 GT3 would be for me a step "-sideways"..but not really forward. But we all have different backgrounds etc..for those of you who have just one car..a 991 GT3 (sorry, GTS) could be a good compromise..and being "blessed" now by EVO certainly helps on that decision.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
a 991 GT3 (sorry, GTS)
Some are so awfully hard to please....

BAC Mono perhaps?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
agreed..what I dont understand: they clearly say the new one has lost on steering feel, engine feel, + - the gearbox - loss of manual etc. Those are clear criticisms..yes, the last minute is fascinating, but would have been equally so in the 997 GT3. With regards to the Ferrari they didnt put such negative arguments, or? Still the 991 GT3 wins..- logic (?)

As frayed put it: "its called media"...not my business at all.

PS: early next year I will be able to drive the 991 GT3 as well, back to back with my 997 GT3..I will report. Im not doubting that I might be fascinated also about the PdK, but I know already now that the car will not be an option for me, having already enough other road worthy cars, its time for me to upgrade to a "real race car" (e.g. CUP, or formula; if I factor in the deprciation of the 991 GT3 it might be even more expensive then a second hand post 2010 CUP)..in life you always have to move upwards..new challenges etc... A 991 GT3 would be for me a step "-sideways"..but not really forward. But we all have different backgrounds etc..for those of you who have just one car..a 991 GT3 (sorry, GTS) could be a good compromise..and being "blessed" now by EVO certainly helps on that decision.
true. I think a Cup is in your future.

On the F car, I know quite a few owners but none are too excited about the F12. IDK why. Personally I perfer the looks of the 599 GTO.

I have a feeling the video is just a slice of what in the hard copy.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Some are so awfully hard to please....

BAC Mono perhaps?
Just wanted to check whether you are all still here....

Oh yes, BAC Mono..I want to try that one day..this must be "real driving sensation"..:

PS: Keep your RS..like this you have the best from both worlds...last manual GT3 & first GT3 PdK..
Old 11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Enough said...
I think then we can predict what next year's eCOTY winner will be!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Correct Mike. Possibly will improve downstream but right now Porsche are not releasing further RHD allocations that I know for fact.
heard recently from the brand rep in a local dealer that PCNA/PAG confirmed a 2015 production for the GT3 (in addition to the current run) as with previous cars, so this might provided more inventory next year...
Old 11-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
heard recently from the brand rep in a local dealer that PCNA/PAG confirmed a 2015 production for the GT3 (in addition to the current run) as with previous cars, so this might provided more inventory next year...
Heard the same thing in an e-mail from my SA, Larry. I wonder how big the backlog of waiters is? You'd think a 2 year run would meet demand, but who knows....
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Heard the same thing in an e-mail from my SA, Larry. I wonder how big the backlog of waiters is? You'd think a 2 year run would meet demand, but who knows....
My guess is that demand will outstrip demand even with another production run in '15 ... be interesting to see how the $180k+ RS will fare ...
Old 11-08-2013, 04:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Manual?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Manual?
of course not ... simply another years worth of cars ...

I seem to recall somewhere someone mentioning an initial run of around 864 cars, so this would effectively double that ... as you may recall this is
a very similar number to the previous generation (997.2) total production run... would imagine the RS will be a similar # (perhaps a little less again
in line with last models #'s)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

of course not ... simply another years worth of cars ... I seem to recall somewhere someone mentioning an initial run of around 864 cars, so this would effectively double that ... as you may recall this is a very similar number to the previous generation (997.2) total production run... would imagine the RS will be a similar # (perhaps a little less again in line with last models #'s)
Aah...come on man...!

Just kiddin'...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Aah...come on man...!

Just kiddin'...
The manual transmission will be released on the 2015 4.0 GTS

alternatively we could hand our 997's over to Alex at sharkwerks for a 4.1L engine upgrade!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The manual transmission will be released on the 2015 4.0 GTS alternatively we could hand our 997's over to Alex at sharkwerks for a 4.1L engine upgrade!
Hey,maybe Alex will come up with a 6 speed tranny conversion to the 991 GT3 by then! That'd be sweeeet!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey,maybe Alex will come up with a 6 speed tranny conversion to the 991 GT3 by then! That'd be sweeeet!!!

now you are TALKING!

Quick Reply: EVO Magazine awards 991 GT3 its coveted Car of the Year Award (eCOTY)