Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Sport Chrono support GPS lap timing?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Sport Chrono support GPS lap timing?

I have been summoned to the dealer to place my GT3 order tomorrow for a spring 2014 build. I am still unclear on whether the Sport Chrono option w/PCM will support the recording of lap times. Specifically the ability to record multiple continuous lap times automatically using GPS.

I am also unclear on whether lap times can be downloaded and analyzed with or without the logbook option. I would rather avoid the clock if these functions are not supported.

Appreciate your input. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Download Harry's Laptimer on your iPhone and save yourself from the wart
Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The main thing to note is that in previous models, it was NOT a GPS based system and therefore you could not program the timer to restart at a set point... Timing was started and stopped by triggering a stalk near the steering wheel... Thus laps are rough, not accurate and useless for data logging purposes...

Save the expense and just buy an aftermarket lap timer
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im with the others. I do not believe this is a GPS system. I use a Racelogic system but others use AIM and many use Harry's Lap Timer which is $29 on iPhone and seems to do the job just fine.

Save yourself from The Wart!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
The main thing to note is that in previous models, it was NOT a GPS based system and therefore you could not program the timer to restart at a set point... Timing was started and stopped by triggering a stalk near the steering wheel... Thus laps are rough, not accurate and useless for data logging purposes...

Save the expense and just buy an aftermarket lap timer
^^This. I decided to get the wart because I had it on my Carrera and I like the look of the clock/timer. But it's not really useful as a lap timer.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

For the cost, you could get an AIM SOLO DL.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Indeed, They you would have full GPS plotting with OBDII telemetries....
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^This. I decided to get the wart because I had it on my Carrera and I like the look of the clock/timer. But it's not really useful as a lap timer.
Like you I like the look and ordered it. My understanding is the timer has a myriad of functions and displayed in the main console. Worth the price.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Like you I like the look and ordered it. My understanding is the timer has a myriad of functions and displayed in the main console. Worth the price.
Yeah, it does have some other functions, although honestly I don't know how much I would use them. A GPS lap timer is much more useful for tracking. Still, contrary to the opinion of some, I think the Chrono adds something positive to the interior and on that basis alone I ordered it. I'm not a fan of colored belts or seatbacks for example, and others love them, so you pay your money and take your choice.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah, it does have some other functions, although honestly I don't know how much I would use them. A GPS lap timer is much more useful for tracking. Still, contrary to the opinion of some, I think the Chrono adds something positive to the interior and on that basis alone I ordered it. I'm not a fan of colored belts or seatbacks for example, and others love them, so you pay your money and take your choice.

I agree. Porsche is all about choices...that's why so many options...
I like the so called wart too...don't know whom named it " wart " and started a trend against it...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your input everyone. I placed my order today without the sport chrono option. For me, the best option is investing that $400 into a lap timing system to go along with my go pro camera (my current "lap timer"). Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I do not believe it to be worth the price whatsoever. Hardly a myriad of options. I skipped on my .2 GT3 and plan to skip on my 991 when my buld arrives. That said, if you like, you should get; all good.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Marv.Frazier
Thanks for your input everyone. I placed my order today without the sport chrono option. For me, the best option is investing that $400 into a lap timing system to go along with my go pro camera (my current "lap timer"). Thanks again.
$400 for lap timing? Get RaceChrono for your Android - it's $24 cheaper than the $24 the iPhone suckers pay for Harry's Laptimer. Works perfectly.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the big deal with the Wart anyhow? No Really? I don't know what the big deal is. I can just draw it up to analality (NEW WORD) of just wanting a smooth dash board. Big Deal;Kaputz?

Truthfully I'm more of a Turbo fan than a GT3 FAN.

Time to ban TC from this specific forum......
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the big deal with the Wart anyhow? No Really? I don't know what the big deal is. I can just draw it up to analality (NEW WORD) of just wanting a smooth dash board. Big Deal;Kaputz?

Truthfully I'm more of a Turbo fan than a GT3 FAN.

Time to ban TC from this specific forum......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Sport Chrono support GPS lap timing?