Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Sport Chrono support GPS lap timing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Sport Chrono is much more than the obvious clock on the dashboard - Which I happen to like, since the time is always correct. SC is an entire system which ties into Engine and Transmission response, and in the 991, Suspension reaction as well. This gives the car 2 or 3 distinctly different personalities which you can choose from - very helpful when the car is used for both street and track use. Most all the higher performance versions of the 911 have SC, as do many Panamera models, my S included. If you don't get it, you will likely take a large hit on resale values. You can use SC for lap timing through the shift paddles / buttons but a dedicated GPS Lap Timer will be far more accurate and satisfying than your button pushing.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Sport Chrono is much more than the obvious clock on the dashboard - Which I happen to like, since the time is always correct. SC is an entire system which ties into Engine and Transmission response, and in the 991, Suspension reaction as well. This gives the car 2 or 3 distinctly different personalities which you can choose from - very helpful when the car is used for both street and track use. Most all the higher performance versions of the 911 have SC, as do many Panamera models, my S included. If you don't get it, you will likely take a large hit on resale values. You can use SC for lap timing through the shift paddles / buttons but a dedicated GPS Lap Timer will be far more accurate and satisfying than your button pushing.
FLT, to the best of my knowledge, although all that you say is true with respect to more "normal" 991's and the Panamera, I don't believe any of the altered performance mapping carries over when SC is ordered with the GT3; it's strictly clock and timing functions. That's one reason why it's "only" $400 compared to much higher pricing for this feature in other models.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with Mike (once again).

The performance mapping and personalities are standard with the 991 GT3.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Completely and totally untrue.

A GT3 does NOT benefit as other 911's do with SC.

SC is useless in a GT3 unless you like its appearance and want the dash clock. If so, its all good and order it. Other than that it provides nothing to the performance equation. The only residuals preserved are those who drink the kool-aid.

My .2 gt3 sold at a remarkable residual without SC. Most knowledgable buyers did not want SC. Only the un-informed Porsche sales people insist it is a must have.

Sorry, Mike, I just saw after replying to the aforementioned that you beat me to it. I thought it easier to retain my response than delete.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
What's the big deal with the Wart anyhow? No Really? I don't know what the big deal is. I can just draw it up to analality (NEW WORD) of just wanting a smooth dash board. Big Deal;Kaputz?

Truthfully I'm more of a Turbo fan than a GT3 FAN.

Time to ban TC from this specific forum......
Crickets...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FLT, to the best of my knowledge, although all that you say is true with respect to more "normal" 991's and the Panamera, I don't believe any of the altered performance mapping carries over when SC is ordered with the GT3; it's strictly clock and timing functions. That's one reason why it's "only" $400 compared to much higher pricing for this feature in other models.
Yes Mike, my bad - I've been bouncing between the GT3 and Turbo forums where
the SC costs $4,090 vs $400 on the GT3. The GT3 SC functions are far more limited than all the other 911 models including the Turbo.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes Mike, my bad - I've been bouncing between the GT3 and Turbo forums where
the SC costs $4,090 vs $400 on the GT3. The GT3 SC functions are far more limited than all the other 911 models including the Turbo.
No bad at all, FLT. I guess the good news is that all of the performance stuff that comes along with SC in the other cars, including dynamic engine mounts, more aggressive engine and gearbox mapping, launch control, etc is either already built into the GT3 or accessible via the PASM and PDK Sport buttons.

Originally Posted by 911dev
Sorry, Mike, I just saw after replying to the aforementioned that you beat me to it. I thought it easier to retain my response than delete.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I think all the SC adds without PCM is the analog and digital stopwatch features.
Sport Chrono with PCM adds the goofy G-meter display in the dash display. At least as far as I can tell. I guess we will know for sure before the end of the year. Maybe.

Quick Reply: Does Sport Chrono support GPS lap timing?