Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't Porsche turbo cars sound as good as their N/A cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
check this out: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGpDmWNqh4 cheers, peter ps: give my regards to my great friend RC!
Awesome video! Love that sound... (But not as a daily driver)

Too bad the Stelvio never looks like this when normal people drive there... Next time I go there I need the road to be closed for any other traffic than me.
Stelvio is beautiful, but there are even better roads IMO. The Stelvio is way too crowded most of the time. You need to keep the windshieldwipers on the whole time, to wipe off all the blood of the cyclists you hit....

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem with the coupe: in wet or race mode under 4K revs it sounds like the M5 (i.e. little sound), it starts to sound crazy only when the flaps open at 4K revs.
stelvio: i do not know what evo did. had the road closed for shooting?
p
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

no problem with the coupe: in wet or race mode under 4K revs it sounds like the M5 (i.e. little sound), it starts to sound crazy only when the flaps open at 4K revs. stelvio: i do not know what evo did. had the road closed for shooting? p
Yes they closed the road, just like they did for Top Gear a couple of years ago for that episode of finding the best roads in the world (Gallardo, GT3RS & Aston Martin).
Those lucky bastards...

But there are lots of nice roads that aren't as crowded as the Stelvio and equally as nice to drive. For example the Nockalmstrasse in Austria, which is a tollroad with hardly any traffic, where you can take the hairpins sideways if you dare

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Yes they closed the road, just like they did for Top Gear a couple of years ago for that episode of finding the best roads in the world (Gallardo, GT3RS & Aston Martin).
Those lucky bastards...

But there are lots of nice roads that aren't as crowded as the Stelvio and equally as nice to drive. For example the Nockalmstrasse in Austria, which is a tollroad with hardly any traffic, where you can take the hairpins sideways if you dare

Suzy991
nockalm is wonderful. there are other great roads close to turracherhoehe but for me top in austria is the area mariazell. just to be avoided on weekends because of motorbike traffic.
cheers peter
ps: decided on your new car? i have the GT3 RS on order but got a bit worried about the GT3 super test....nervous und unpredictable behaviour at the limit according to HvS.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

nockalm is wonderful. there are other great roads close to turracherhoehe but for me top in austria is the area mariazell. just to be avoided on weekends because of motorbike traffic. cheers peter ps: decided on your new car? i have the GT3 RS on order but got a bit worried about the GT3 super test....nervous und unpredictable behaviour at the limit according to HvS.
I'm still exploring lots of roads here and in Italy and Austria. Mariazell sounds falimiar though.... But at the moment my Boxster is in hybernation, so no more exploring untill march/april.

Yes I have decided on the new car. It's going to be the Turbo S in Oryx white pearl. (Yes I know you don't like the Turbo, but it just felt as a perfect match for me )
I'm just not sure about the interior yet. Can't get an appointment at Exclusive in Zuffenhausen before we go on a 4-week family visit to the U.S., so that is something to do after we're back. I want something like dark tan combined with black, but I need to be sure about how things will work out with the plastic parts like speaker grills etc. I want those also in the brown color, instead of black.

This is what I'm thinking about (sort of)
Name:  a631a7ba689509753fe1303110d12dfe_zps5a910c8c.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  91.5 KB

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
markow
Racer

I'm still exploring lots of roads here and in Italy and Austria. Mariazell sounds falimiar though.... But at the moment my Boxster is in hybernation, so no more exploring untill march/april.

Yes I have decided on the new car. It's going to be the Turbo S in Oryx white pearl. (Yes I know you don't like the Turbo, but it just felt as a perfect match for me )
I'm just not sure about the interior yet. Can't get an appointment at Exclusive in Zuffenhausen before we go on a 4-week family visit to the U.S., so that is something to do after we're back. I want something like dark tan combined with black, but I need to be sure about how things will work out with the plastic parts like speaker grills etc. I want those also in the brown color, instead of black.

Suzy991
well suzy991, you have a lot of time to reconsider. ::::::)))
p
Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the carbon fiber trim so much more than the aluminum. That's how I ordered my GT3. The newer Porsche carbon fiber is so much better than past years - much finer mesh. It looks amazing on my wife's 2013 Cayenne GTS.

Nice color combo Suzy.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Gorgeous looking interior, Suzy. Hard to go wrong with that!

I thought you were going to order 991S. Am I mistaken? Not that there's anything wrong with a TTS.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im beginning to despise the AL trim because of the fingerprint marks!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Gorgeous looking interior, Suzy. Hard to go wrong with that! I thought you were going to order 991S. Am I mistaken? Not that there's anything wrong with a TTS.
Yes you are right indeed...
I had a C4S on order, but there were some (without going into further, boring details) "miss-understandings" between Porsche and myself, so that order was canceled. I never thought that I would end up orderimg a Turbo S, because I never really liked 911 Turbos. Then there was the Frankfurt motorshow, where I saw the Oryx white Turbo S and surprisingly liked the looks of that car very much and after a recent testdrive I was pretty quick convinced that this was the car I was lookimg for...

Purists will call it a sin, but I figured out that I was looking for the 911 with the best GT capabillities. That is definitely the Turbo S.
It's three cars in one. In Normal mode it's a comfortable GT that is very easy to drive, despite all that power and can easily be used all year long. In Sport mode, the car becomes a true 911, that feels, handles and performs like a true sportscar. in Sport plus it becomes an absolute animal that isn't scared of an occasional visit to a track. It may not have the emotion and drama of a GT3 or even a C4S, but for me and in my case, it is the most usable 911 there is.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes you are right indeed...
I had a C4S on order, but there were some (without going into further, boring details) "miss-understandings" between Porsche and myself, so that order was canceled. I never thought that I would end up orderimg a Turbo S, because I never really liked 911 Turbos. Then there was the Frankfurt motorshow, where I saw the Oryx white Turbo S and surprisingly liked the looks of that car very much and after a recent testdrive I was pretty quick convinced that this was the car I was lookimg for...

Purists will call it a sin, but I figured out that I was looking for the 911 with the best GT capabillities. That is definitely the Turbo S.
It's three cars in one. In Normal mode it's a comfortable GT that is very easy to drive, despite all that power and can easily be used all year long. In Sport mode, the car becomes a true 911, that feels, handles and performs like a true sportscar. in Sport plus it becomes an absolute animal that isn't scared of an occasional visit to a track. It may not have the emotion and drama of a GT3 or even a C4S, but for me and in my case, it is the most usable 911 there is.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
To heck with "purists". I'm sure you'll love it. Congrats!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
To heck with "purists". I'm sure you'll love it. Congrats!
Thanks

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Suzy991

I love this interior. It would look amazing with the white. Well done.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:28 AM
jo f
1st Gear

i test drove the turbo S 991 twice and can confirm that it sounds better than the 997 version. sort of like a better dyson vacuum cleaner compared to a normal one.
also the drive left me cold. super fast, super traction but no emotion. also, to me it felt that if you loose that car once, then your worries about the future are over...
to me it just a nondescript speed machine. fugly looks, very high and strange rear end. GT3 is a beauty in comparism. also the normal carrera is.
peter
what i dont understand . Is now owners of gt3rs are now turbo charging their cars why it sounds 10x better than a turbo s even with a modified exhaust.. is the gt3 a co.completely
different engine?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:50 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 169 Posts

GT3 and GT3RS can also rev way higher then any 'Turbo' p-car. (By 'Turbo' I mean anything with an actual turbocharger)

Personally this is the best sound I have ever heard from a p-car.
(Regular exhaust or this more...um..... unrestricted exhaust)

Quick Reply: Why don't Porsche turbo cars sound as good as their N/A cars?