Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't Porsche turbo cars sound as good as their N/A cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Probably Porsche wasn't happy with the sound. You have to be aware of the fact that Porsche can't just offer exhausts like those from the companies that make after matket exhausts. Porsche as a "big" car manufacturer has to meet the various regulations mandated by for example the E.U. After market companies have far less restrictions to produce a good sounding exhaust, just like for example Ferrari, because they produce a lot less vehicles.
To keep within the regulations, set for car manufacturers like Porsche, they had to make a complicated exhaust to meet their requirements of sound. This was too complicated and/or too expensive and that's why they decided not to offer one.
So after market is the way to go...

I'm pretty sure that If Porsche had been able to produce one to their liking and requirements, within the regulations and it was marketable, that they would have offered it. We all know how they like to offer numerous options.

Suzy991
Again, I understand what you're saying. However, I find it hard to believe that the TT's exhaust system sounds as good/aggressive as it can within the realm of current regulations. The naturally aspirated Porsches (without PSE) are often louder/more aggressive than a stock TT and probably similar to a Europipe stage 1 TT. If a valved system is not feasible due to complexity, heat, etc., alter the current muffler design so it sounds a bit more aggressive and offer it as an option. The only negative that I see is that Porsche couldn't charge $4K to $5K for just a slightly different muffler, so I guess they don't want to be bothered.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You certainly have a point there, but that's all I know and have read. Maybe it's just because the target buyers don't want the exhaust to sound as agressive as a Carrera S with PSE.
I'm one of them I guess... I have PSE on my Boxster S and although I surely love the sound of it, I rarely use it now that have the car for some time, because it gets annoying after a while. It's fun when the car is new, but when driving in town or just cruisin on the Autobahn the sound isn't that pleasant. It's only fun when driving inspired on twisty mountain roads. That's of course also the benefit of fact that you can switch it on or off.

In the Turbo S, I like the more silent, deeper sound. It's a daily driver and I don't like a loud exhaust in my daily driver. And I think I'm not the only one, so maybe it's on purpose. I don't know....

But I agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing to offer the option to buyers, but I also think that they surely would have if they could. There must be something that keeps them from offering it.

Suzy991
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (05-14-2021)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

" target buyers don't want the exhaust to sound as agressive as a Carrera S with PSE" ????

oh you mean like the 500+hps, wider hips, wing, other aero bits, RWS, $180,000 USD price point arent agressive?!
I cant tell you the # of TT owners that lamented at the pathetic sound.

EP, Tubi, et al can offer it at a $5000 US price point so why cant Porsche?

However, the 991 TT appears (on Videos anyways) to sound slightly better than the 997.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
" target buyers don't want the exhaust to sound as agressive as a Carrera S with PSE" ???? oh you mean like the 500+hps, wider hips, wing, other aero bits, RWS, $180,000 USD price point arent agressive?! I cant tell you the # of TT owners that lamented at the pathetic sound. EP, Tubi, et al can offer it at a $5000 US price point so why cant Porsche? However, the 991 TT appears (on Videos anyways) to sound slightly better than the 997.
I think there is a big difference between Europe and the U.S. on that point. I talked to several people here in europe (enthusiasts, my customers, people on rennteam) about Porsche's exhaust sound and they all are not that enthusiast about sport exhausts in the carrera. At least not as enthusiast as most american people here on the forums. On the other hand, I also think the 997 turbo really sounded bad and I know for sure that the 991 Turbo S sounds an awful lot better. I really liked the sound. It's deeper and slightly more on the background (in the interior) but is's present enough to remember that you are driving a pretty special car. To me, it was just right.
On the outside the car could maybe sound a little louder.
But there will be after matket exhausts enough I guess, to satisfy most buyers.

And like I said before... if Porsche could offer it, they definitely would. If there's an oppertunity to make profit, they will.
However, there must be a reason that they can't and I think it has to do with regulations they have to meet. After market companies don't have to meet those regulations. But I may be wrong...

Suzy991
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not regulatory but rather profit margin.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Good point!

Suzy991
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it is both: there are technological reasons why turbos sound like vacuum cleaners (as stated early in this thread) but certainly those could be overcome with more technology. however porsche has done market research and it came out that the panamera-friendly Turbo S community does not want 'better' sound. so turbo owners are left with aftermarket if they want more. this is not bad in my view, because akra and others understand what enthusiasts want.
p
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markow
i think it is both: there are technological reasons why turbos sound like vacuum cleaners (as stated early in this thread) but certainly those could be overcome with more technology. however porsche has done market research and it came out that the panamera-friendly Turbo S community does not want 'better' sound. so turbo owners are left with aftermarket if they want more. this is not bad in my view, because akra and others understand what enthusiasts want. p
Hey Peter, don't call me panamera-friendly please, I would buy a 6 gran coupe over a panamera in a heartbeat haha

Suzy991
Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Because any big v8 sounds good. And the turbos don't sound as good - nothing touches the 6.2 liter v8s.
What about Top Fuel Dragsters. Those engine besides making you deaf will also make your Huevos, Ball, Bullocks well you get the picture shake as they burn that alcohol down the straight to a 320MPH+ Trap Speed.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

However, the 991 TT appears (on Videos anyways) to sound slightly better than the 997.
Here's a video from guido aka the Getawayer and you can here the sound of the car preet well in this video. (It's not a C2S with PSE, but it does sound good for a turbocharged 911 IMO)

Suzy991
Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
What about Top Fuel Dragsters. Those engine besides making you deaf will also make your Huevos, Ball, Bullocks well you get the picture shake as they burn that alcohol down the straight to a 320MPH+ Trap Speed.
Those are supercharged - no exhaust obstructions like turbos.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 AM
markow
Racer

" target buyers don't want the exhaust to sound as agressive as a Carrera S with PSE" ????

oh you mean like the 500+hps, wider hips, wing, other aero bits, RWS, $180,000 USD price point arent agressive?!
I cant tell you the # of TT owners that lamented at the pathetic sound.

EP, Tubi, et al can offer it at a $5000 US price point so why cant Porsche?

i test drove the turbo S 991 twice and can confirm that it sounds better than the 997 version. sort of like a better dyson vacuum cleaner compared to a normal one.
also the drive left me cold. super fast, super traction but no emotion. also, to me it felt that if you loose that car once, then your worries about the future are over...
to me it just a nondescript speed machine. fugly looks, very high and strange rear end. GT3 is a beauty in comparism. also the normal carrera is.
peter
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 AM
markow
Racer

Here's a video from guido aka the Getawayer and you can here the sound of the car preet well in this video. (It's not a C2S with PSE, but it does sound good for a turbocharged 911 IMO)

http://youtu.be/e8Tem7jVEqA

Suzy991
sorry suzy991, but if the tester thinks this is an amazing sound then i suggest for him to try a GT3, ferrari or lamb.
peter
Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markow
sorry suzy991, but if the tester thinks this is an amazing sound then i suggest for him to try a GT3, ferrari or lamb. peter
I agree that he is a bit über-enthusiast, but the sound is accurate in the video and that's why I mentioned this vid. I actually prefer the sound of the Turbo S above the one from my Boxster S for a daily driver. Sound of it is nice, but gets annoying when you're driving on the Autobahn at a constant speed or in town.
I'm glad the PSE can be switched off, but even when it's off, I sometimes get annoyed by it. Luckily the moments when I do want to hear the exhaust, it makes up for everything else

I adore the sound of a Ferrari (have you seen the awesome new vid of CH?), but I couldn't live with it on a daily base. I also think it attracts too much attention for my taste. Just don't feel comfortable that way for some reason. Also one of the reasons I would not buy a GT3... Way too flashy and loud for me, although I adore the car.

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 AM
markow
Racer

I agree that he is a bit über-enthusiast, but the sound is accurate in the video and that's why I mentioned this vid. I actually prefer the sound of the Turbo S above the one from my Boxster S for a daily driver. Sound of it is nice, but gets annoying when you're driving on the Autobahn at a constant speed or in town.
I'm glad the PSE can be switched off, but even when it's off, I sometimes get annoyed by it. Luckily the moments when I do want to hear the exhaust, it makes up for everything else

I adore the sound of a Ferrari (have you seen the awesome new vid of CH?), but I couldn't live with it on a daily base. I also think it attracts too much attention for my taste. Just don't feel comfortable that way for some reason. Also one of the reasons I would not buy a GT3... Way too flashy and loud for me, although I adore the car.

Suzy991
check this out:

cheers, peter
ps: give my regards to my great friend RC!

Quick Reply: Why don't Porsche turbo cars sound as good as their N/A cars?