Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
PDK has zero advantage on downshifts and a tiny bit on each up shift. I'd say 2 sec max on the Nurburgring (less when you factor the additional weight of PDK)
There are situations where it might be better to be in a lower gear but a toss-up as to whether it's worth getting off the throttle to rev-match/downshift. Being able to downshift almost instantly, and stay on the throttle while you're doing it, is an advantage.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting, I expressed reservations about PTV a few weeks ago, but not many people seemed to share those reservations. Could you explain why you couldn't stand it?
It was too intrusive in the 997.2 turbo S. I absolutely hated it. I could feel the individual wheel braking trying to change my line through a turn. I tried everything to drive the car differently to be smoother but to no avail. I had alignment checked etc. the car had no faults. I have a few RS' and a 996 gt3 so am not new to driving 911's. It is the first 911 I could not wait to get rid of even though it was the fastest. the 991 version of ptv is better but I still can detect it. they really should have a switch to turn it off. Try it for yourself in a 997.2 turbo S or turbo. My 09 turbo doesn'nt have ptv just the limited slip and it much better. I can't imagine buying any of these new 991's such as the gt3 and turbo without driving it first. I made that mistake with the 997.2 turbo S. My biggest concerns are ptv and rws in the new gt3. PDK I could live with.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:55 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PDK has zero advantage on downshifts and a tiny bit on each up shift. I'd say 2 sec max on the Nurburgring (less when you factor the additional weight of PDK)
PDK will allow LFB. Its an advantage.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There are situations where it might be better to be in a lower gear but a toss-up as to whether it's worth getting off the throttle to rev-match/downshift. Being able to downshift almost instantly, and stay on the throttle while you're doing it, is an advantage.
I agree. PDK is better. Always.

Another situation is approaching a corner at redline a hundred feet from the braking point. In a manual car you ride the rev limiter....the PDK will gain you those hundredths of a second by momentarily accelerating in the next highest gear.

Whether or not it's as fun...we'll all find out soon enough.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Exactly...

Guys who track: involvement and durability > laptimes

Guys who don't track: laptimes > involvement and durability....

I see an irony in that
There may be some truth in that...

But...

If it was completely true, none of the track guys would have went from the 996 to 997 platform.

At the end of the day, everyone wants to go faster. And as soon as people get smoked by a 991 in their 997 at the track, they are going to want one.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
PDK will allow LFB. Its an advantage.
Drove some karts today and that could be a fun aspect of the 991 to learn..

Originally Posted by Serge944
There may be some truth in that...

But...

If it was completely true, none of the track guys would have went from the 996 to 997 platform.

At the end of the day, everyone wants to go faster. And as soon as people get smoked by a 991 in their 997 at the track, they are going to want one.
Unless you think a 996 looks too ugly to look at
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those tiny bits of advantage on each up shift from a dual clutch "CAN" and "WILL" win races.
And as said before made the sub 3 second zero to sixty a reality. But this post isn't about that argument.

Don't get me wrong im still down with manual transmission. They could engineer a Transmission with a "Manual Transmission" Stick coming up from the center console between the seats that controlled the dual Transmission after you lift up the clutch pedal.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 10-20-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: writting erors
Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Those tiny bits of advantage on each up shift from a dual clutch wins,"CAN", races.

And as said becods made thd sub 3 second zero to sixty a reality. But this post isn't about that argument.

Don't get me wrong im still down with manual transmission. They could engineer a Transmission with a "Manual Transmission" Stick coming up from the center console between the seats that controlled the dual Transmission after you lift up the clutch pedal.
I agree, I wish they would. Just change out the sequential gear for a H pattern and put in a clutch pedal that once pressed activate the clutch like how pulling both paddles back does. Integrate both paddles and H pattern and you would satisfy me even though it will still add weight compared with a regular manual transmission.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

First time trying a Youtube post ...

Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure driving with one hand is the best idea. The guy obviously knows how to drive, but his hands seem all over the place and certainly not smooth.

I have a fair bit of track experience, but I'm no pro....

I just love the look, technology, and reviews, plus I'm a Porsche guy. I am on the list for a 2015 GT3 with a deposit as I'd like to see reliability of this model (plus save some more money ). I'm also hoping any minor glitches will be ironed out by the 2nd year of this car.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=chicos;10841977]Not sure driving with one hand is the best idea. The guy obviously knows how to drive, but his hands seem all over the place and certainly not smooth."

That was my impression as well. He is surprisingly spastic in his arm and hand movements. And going for the best lap time he is capable of while not wearing
a helmet just seems insane to me. If he is the guy who did the "fastest reference laps" in the GT3 Sport Auto piece, that could easily explain why the GT3's lap times were so poor. With the reputation of Porsche dependent on "the media" you would think they would make every effort to have everything right and verify their surprising results by having another expert driver confirm them. I can't imagine any professional driver driving to his maximum ability with the feelings of vulnerability the lack of any protective devices must instill in him.
Where is Timo Kluck when we need him???
Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with his hands? Looks retarded. 9 and 3 bro, both hands on the wheel, stay smooth.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

New Porsche ad.??? The EPS is so easy you can literally drive it one handed
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Yup, busy one-handed driving + no helmet = stupid.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe there's a bar there....still faster than me though.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!