Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
OT but I just sold my 2011 Turbo S but kept my 09 Turbo because it has the Mezger engine, no PDK, and above all no PTV. I could not stand PTV most of all.
Interesting, I expressed reservations about PTV a few weeks ago, but not many people seemed to share those reservations. Could you explain why you couldn't stand it?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

I care little about the times. If times are that important this is probably not the right car (and yes, the TTS should be faster). What's critical is the feel. If the 991 GT3 truly proves to be twitchy at and over the limit then it's a failure in my eyes, even if it does turn 7:25s. I think that's unlikely on average, but clearly this one was, so let's see.
+991
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is an overeaction

We've heard of 997 gt3's coming with random alignments, wooden blocks in the suspension, 15psi in the tires, and all sorts of ridiculous setup issues when driven off the showroom floor. For some reason, it seems to be very important to a lot of people that the car be able to perform at or near its best straight from the dealer lot. Thats ridiculous. At the very least, I would expect a new owner to at least confirm the alignment prior to tracking it. This car sounded like a sick car. Limp mode at 7500 rpm should have killed the test right there and then, but I guess the season is almost over and there are no other cars and that article needed to be written.

I suspect the true story of the 991 gt3 will not be really told till next spring / summer.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Deetz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This car could be almost "evil" on the track or at the limit...

Consider: Low speed corner, RWS helping you with opposite toe (i.e. front headed right, rear headed left). You exceed the slip angle and the RWS neutralizes the toe to zero again. The car is no longer helping you, and feels dramatically worse.

High speed corner, RWS is in "lane change mode" and again, at the limit, goes to neutral, and the behavior no longer helps you and now oversteers.

This is an interesting engineering problem. What would you have the ECU do with RWS at the exceeded limit?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Deetz
This car could be almost "evil" on the track or at the limit...

Consider: Low speed corner, RWS helping you with opposite toe (i.e. front headed right, rear headed left). You exceed the slip angle and the RWS neutralizes the toe to zero again. The car is no longer helping you, and feels dramatically worse.

High speed corner, RWS is in "lane change mode" and again, at the limit, goes to neutral, and the behavior no longer helps you and now oversteers.

This is an interesting engineering problem. What would you have the ECU do with RWS at the exceeded limit?
Perhaps you need to rewatch Chris Harris's initial first drive. He seemed to go to and beyond the limits with no problems.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

For comparison with other cars, SA gives final points to their test. Here is their result on believe on a 100 point scale. They like the car.

Last edited by Nick; 03-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This fourm makes me smile sometimes. Plenty of sh*t stirring but its all good.

Below is the video of Uwe Alzen one of the DTM guys and a very experienced Ring driver taking the new GT3 around a damp lap of the track. If you can understand German you will know via translation that hes praising the car and really impressed with its handling over the previous GT3 generations. He believes its the quickest yet. Whats changed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKUV8...ature=youtu.be

Maybe SportAuto had a car with poor camber and alignment. Perhaps their car was a bit down on power.

Maybe the issues Porsche have is with the RWS unit n the 991 GT3 not the engibe throwing rods as everyone has been led to believe LOL! The TT/S use a slightly different system (for 4WD).

Other interesting questions - why would Porsche allow SportAuto a car with a overheating PDK geabox and the ability tro throw a rod through the crank case? Would they let them put it on the Dyno? Porsche know what SA do with these tests?

SA have a different driver now than last year and in the past for these tests? Are we comparing two different drivers?

There is nothing surprising with the result here. SA are typically 5-6 seconds slower than the factory times as Porsche Collector and others have been telling us form the beginning. The times are between than the outgoing GT3RS and almost as good as the 4.0RS. With any other generation og GT3 that would be a huge win.

What makes no sense at all is
1). EVO got better results on short course with GT3 than MP12C and all of their testing indicated it would be very quick on track. Not scientific just seat of pants stuff by Jethro B.
2). Uwe Alzens lap of Ring and commentary.
3). Engineers comments on stability and tyre management and consistent speed and good braking (personal sourse).
4). Many magazines reviews on acceleration and braking...
Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
couldnt agree more..but the details are striking: despite being a 991 chassis it doesnt have higher speeds at the evasion tests either..under braking neither. The 991 GT3 cant really beat a 997.2 GT3RS...this is more or less fact now. Is it faster then a 4.0? For sure not...

I think Porsche needs to "shut up" more..I dont want to sound unpolite..but there would have never been the problem if they said "its between 3.8RS and 4.0RS"..woud have fit perfectly.

Compare the situation to "manager talking to employees"..whats better : a) making them false promises about high wage increases or b) telling them, the situation is not easy, lets stay realistic.
Exactly, well put.

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Exactly.."engine emergency programm"..what ever that means
We call it limp mode :-)

Originally Posted by sunnyr
So looks like the car is ballpark 7.2 RS 3.8 fast. Also both cost about the same. One comes with a manual, hydraulic steering and Mezger engine. The other with paddle shift, RWS and a new engine. Which would you rather have?
Right, I don't care that much about lap time, fun and durability is what its all about.

Originally Posted by Macca
This fourm makes me smile sometimes. Plenty of sh*t stirring but its all good.

Maybe SportAuto had a car with poor camber and alignment. Perhaps their car was a bit down on power.

Maybe the issues Porsche have is with the RWS unit n the 991 GT3 not the engibe throwing rods as everyone has been led to believe LOL! The TT/S use a slightly different system (for 4WD).

Other interesting questions - why would Porsche allow SportAuto a car with a overheating PDK geabox and the ability tro throw a rod through the crank case? Would they let them put it on the Dyno? Porsche know what SA do with these tests?

SA have a different driver now than last year and in the past for these tests? Are we comparing two different drivers?

There is nothing surprising with the result here. SA are typically 5-6 seconds slower than the factory times as Porsche Collector and others have been telling us form the beginning. The times are between than the outgoing GT3RS and almost as good as the 4.0RS. With any other generation og GT3 that would be a huge win.

What makes no sense at all is
1). EVO got better results on short course with GT3 than MP12C and all of their testing indicated it would be very quick on track. Not scientific just seat of pants stuff by Jethro B.
2). Uwe Alzens lap of Ring and commentary.
3). Engineers comments on stability and tyre management and consistent speed and good braking (personal sourse).
4). Many magazines reviews on acceleration and braking...
Right, different days so laptimes don't count anyways. Could be seconds off.
But maybe with the RWS its just too hard and too early to set the car up right?

Anyway, lets hope this test an exception but it is a bad showing for Porsche with all the guys worried about the dependability, drivability of PDK / RWS / Non raced engine guys watching.

This stuff always happens to the other guys and I would think "of course, figures". Not Porsche!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
For comparison with other cars, SA gives final points to their test. Here is their result on believe on a 100 point scale. They like the car.
Classic, all this discussion on how poor the car did, yet it comes in right behind the limited run GT3rs, with limp mode at 7500 rpm.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Maybe this is an explanation for the delay. Porsche certainly knew of the SA test results and decided to make appropriate "adjustments" to the performance.
Wishful thinking... I'd say of greater concern to them would be the fact it couldn't even complete the test under it's own steam without intervention.Nice try though
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Right, I don't care that much about lap time, fun and durability is what its all about.

Exactly...

Guys who track: involvement and durability > laptimes

Guys who don't track: laptimes > involvement and durability....

I see an irony in that
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment Specs from the tests...

Here are the alignment specs, both factory and from the tests car...

Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Exactly... Just talk... No action....
I don't know, I almost want to beg to differ on that one. Just wish there were better ways to quantify the performance advantage of the Dual Clutch doing its "CLUTCHING" compared to a "Normal" Manual transmission doing its "MANUALING" around a track or if a Laboratory.

The $64000 is IS how much more of an advantage does a Dual Clutch really have over a tradition manual?

To me and many others it is the single Component on a car that has made the sub 3.0 second 0 to 60 MPH slash 0 to 100 KPH common place.

How'd you like em Apples?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

PDK has zero advantage on downshifts and a tiny bit on each up shift. I'd say 2 sec max on the Nurburgring (less when you factor the additional weight of PDK)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Extending your logic, we shouldn't buy either of those cars, but rather, choose b/t two much cheaper but equally fast options: GTR and Z06.
I wasn't extending any logic, just weighing the pros and cons of both (as I see it) - and wondering which one others prefer.

ps. Unlike some other previous GT3 owners, I am not down on this car, I like it... a lot in fact (except for the PDK only part and few other minor philosophical aspects).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Sportauto Supertest - DISAPPOINTMENT!