Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS vs. 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
The reason you don't see a lot of GT3s on sale here is because their owners generally don't part with them so easily or quickly. It's a different crowd. With the risk of over-simplification: Carrera or Turbo owner buy theirs fully specced, but sell it and buy another one as soon as a face-lifted version arrives. Most GT3 owners couldn't care less about a slightly different front fascia or other rear lights, hence as less persuaded to rotate their cars quickly. And less GT3 get sold into the market to start with.

To answer your last question: IMHO, absolutely!
I'm not selling mine - EVER.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

deleted - put in another more releveant thread
Old 10-13-2014, 04:22 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by JonA85; 10-13-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
Quick question. Can you "abuse" a Ferrari like a Porsche? I have this feeling that a Porsche can take more abuse (actually more like driving it hard) than a Ferrari. Is a Ferrari somewhat delicate?
I had a 458 S for a day in Germany a few months ago, and drove it HAARD!! Hit 195 mph on the autobahn and shifted at redline many many times. It didn't miss a beat. There's nothing delicate about a 458 S.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that it is great that a GT3 is competitive with a Ferrari that cost twice as much. But, if money is no object, the Speciale is better looking, better sounding, has more hp, and goes faster.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh the conundrum. Redhead vs brunette. I look forward to the day I take the Italian plunge and own both. And I will flog them both. Even if I feel like I need to be a little more gentle on the redhead. I will also look at her differently.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

He is comparing a GT3RS to a Speciale. Not a standard GT3, so the half price statement is not exactly true.

The Ferrari Motor and trans are indeed robust. Yes it can take a beating if maintained.

Porsche makes a nice product, but their customer service and public relations are pathetic. In my opinion Ferrari wins there.

Go ahead and flame. Anyone still waiting for their 2014 GT3 while the rest of the world is receiving 2015 models understands what I mean.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Originally Posted by redlightrich
He is comparing a GT3RS to a Speciale. Not a standard GT3, so the half price statement is not exactly true.

The Ferrari Motor and trans are indeed robust. Yes it can take a beating if maintained.

Porsche makes a nice product, but their customer service and public relations are pathetic. In my opinion Ferrari wins there.

Go ahead and flame. Anyone still waiting for their 2014 GT3 while the rest of the world is receiving 2015 models understands what I mean.
What are you talking about? The CAR video review above is comparing a 991 GT3 to a 458 Speciale. The 991 GT3 RS is not out yet.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:14 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

About 10 years ago, I got to speak to an engineer who worked for the transmission manufacturer who made trannies for Aston and ferrari as well as a few others. He was mentioning that they offered OEM's a range of options, shift speeds etc. Some OEM's have a higher tolerance for breakdowns, others want longer duration. For example, when the first f1 gearboxes came out, ferrari ordered theirs for the Maranello as the fastest setting they could order, whereas Aston ordered the most conservative for the vanquish. When the two cars were compared by magazines they all gave ferrari kudos and said their box was more advanced.. Their internals were identical, it was just the limits at which the electronics were calibrated which made a difference.

I don't know if this type of practice still goes on today, but it would be interesting if a ferrari today could be proven to be more "delicate" than a comparable sports car.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I don't know if this type of practice still goes on today, but it would be interesting if a ferrari today could be proven to be more "delicate" than a comparable sports car.
Dual clutch in the 458 and SLS were also mechanically the same...but again with very different software parameters...

458 oft cited as having the better shift ..

cf: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=25818

quoting Chris:

"Now I didn't quote gearbox designation codes at Herr Maylander (I didn't know them at the time) but I did ask him why effectively the same gearbox felt so different, and rather slow-witted in a Mercedes. He said it was simply a matter of calibration. AMG knew the capabilities of the transmission, but when it used the fastest response and shift-speeds, it couldn't pass the company's powertrain reliability tests, so it had to alter the calibration accordingl

This piqued my interest, so I did a little digging on the web of truth and justice. Turns out the first Ferrari Californias did have some issues. And if you Google "Ferrari California gearbox failure / problems" or "Ferrari 458 gearbox failure / problems", you'll find of owners of both cars who have had issues and replacement gearboxes. It has to be said that almost all of them appear to have been treated very well by Ferrari.

Search for "Mercedes SLS gearbox failure / problems" and there isn't a single thread detailing such an incident."
Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Very interesting!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Evo Magazine rated 3.8RS above all cars rated over the past 200 issues including the Speciale so my bank account is still safe
Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Aha! So my memory serves me right and this is still going on. Interesting that for the sake of brand attributes ferrari tolerates potentially a lower quality perception. It's all ab choices and compromises isn't it.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich

Customer service and public relations? Really? I've owned both and Porsche wins hands down. No comparison.
Porsche gives me no issues on warranty claims, none. Porsche appreciates your business. Never felt like that with Ferrari. However, I will give them a second chance.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

I haven't got a chance to drive Speciale, but I am sure they are both amazing machines, but different characters. If I buy either, I would definitely miss the other. I don't care which is faster, otherwise I would just buy a 650S now.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS vs. 458 Speciale