Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If you prefer MT, would you or would you not buy the 991 GT3?
I prefer MT, but I would still buy new GT3 to get the best car.
33.96%
I prefer MT, and I would prefer to buy a previous gen GT3 even though I'd really like the new one.
35.85%
I like PDK, thank you very much.
30.19%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: would MT lovers still buy the new GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:45 PM
csmarx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: would MT lovers still buy the new GT3?

I saw the recent poll of who, if given a choice, would prefer MT vs. PDK in the 991 GT3. The most recent results say that about 56% would prefer MT vs 44% PDK. This is a follow up poll:

Given that there is no choice, if you prefer the MT would still buy the new car or would you buy a previous generation instead? In other words, how many of the MT lovers (me included) would refuse to buy the new car vs. how many would - with some level of resignation - still buy the new car?

-Christian
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condemned estan el Poll?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should say "Donde estan"
Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I prefer MT, would be willing to consider a PDK if I could be convinced that LT track reliability was there, but have a .1 GT3-RS with MT/five lugs that I plan on keeping forever (or until I, knock on wood, put it in guardrail somewhere or I can no longer afford insurance once my 12-year old gets a drivers license).
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Tell you what: I've voted when I gave up my spot. I'm sure I've made someone happy... Looking at recent reviews it seems like a great car and I'm glad for those who chose to own one!
PDK or not,I will still flash my headlights when I see one...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Respectfully, I'm not sure this poll makes much sense. How strong a preference for MT are we talking about? What cars are we comparing with? For example, somebody might slightly prefer manual and get a manual Vette rather than the GT3 because it costs less, despite preferring the PDK GT3 overall if cost wasn't a factor.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-09-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

after all the vids of the new gt3 that i have seen, i can say that i'm impressed by the speed, stabilty, composure, tech and competency of the car, but every time i hear the pdk up-shift it just leaves me cold.
not that i would have bought new, but pdk is 100% dealbreaker for me.
looks too much like playstation to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
after all the vids of the new gt3 that i have seen, i can say that i'm impressed by the speed, stabilty, composure, tech and competency of the car, but every time i hear the pdk up-shift it just leaves me cold.
not that i would have bought new, but pdk is 100% dealbreaker for me.
looks too much like playstation to me.
I voted in the first category and love the sound of the upshift.

I've driven a new Cayman S PDK in anger and surprisingly the resonance of the upshift inside the cabin was ridiculously awesome.

But I'll miss the antiquated 6 speed. So much so that I'll keep my aircooled turbo and put in offsite storage.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Dan39
Racer

I went from manual to PDK with my last car and disliked it immediately. I fully expect that PDK-S will be almost exactly as boring as PDK on the street yet the car will be just as exciting as a manual on the track. Since that's what I'm getting the car for, that's okay with me.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

want PDK
have stick
life short
try new
Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I got my 997 GT3 v2 in Nov. 2010 the dealer told me I was getting the last GT3 they were selling until the 991 coming out in ????
I'm 59 now and have always had MT cars so you can kind of guess my bias is in that direction. My thinking was, and still is, that now with the advent of GT3 only in PDK I have the last of the MT type cars. So..........I intend on keeping it "forever". (whatever that is) I can always get a PDK GT3 in the future. They will always build them in the future. BUT, and it is a big BUT, they (at least seem to be) done with the MT and you can never buy a new one again. So since I can't get one again (sure I could find a used one) I intend to always keep this car. And enjoy it. However at some point (should I have the means) I would get a new (or used) GT3 with the PDK. But always have the 997 to "fall back" on.
Everytime I take it out I always enjoy the driving experience it provides. It is truly fantastic. I am sure the 991 GT3 will be fantastic also. Just different. Life moves on enjoy it while you can. While I respect the guys on RL that say they would never buy a PDK GT3 because of the PDK, just think of every poor old sap that would kill just to get a ride in one of our cars let alone own one. I feel lucky just to be able to say I own one. I know I have not said anything new or profound here just my two cents...............cheers

Last edited by ethel19; 11-02-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add the last part
Old 11-02-2013, 07:30 PM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I got my 997 GT3 v2 in Nov. 2010 the dealer told me I was getting the last GT3 they were selling until the 991 coming out in ????
I'm 59 now and have always had MT cars so you can kind of guess my bias is in that direction. My thinking was, and still is, that now with the advent of GT3 only in PDK I have the last of the MT type cars. So..........I intend on keeping it "forever". (whatever that is) I can always get a PDK GT3 in the future. They will always build them in the future. BUT, and it is a big BUT, they (at least seem to be) done with the MT and you can never buy a new one again. So since I can't get one again (sure I could find a used one) I intend to always keep this car. And enjoy it. However at some point (should I have the means) I would get a new (or used) GT3 with the PDK. But always have the 997 to "fall back" on.
Everytime I take it out I always enjoy the driving experience it provides. It is truly fantastic. I am sure the 991 GT3 will be fantastic also. Just different. Life moves on enjoy it while you can. While I respect the guys on RL that say they would never buy a PDK GT3 because of the PDK, just think of every poor old sap that would kill just to get a ride in one of our cars let alone own one. I feel lucky just to be able to say I own one.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

"I've driven a new Cayman S PDK in anger and surprisingly the resonance of the upshift inside the cabin was ridiculously awesome."

That's a great line. In anger. Sweet!

I agree with ethel19 and I own a PDK car. I fell in love with it and spend too much time in Los Angeles traffic so there you go.

If I was to purchase a GT3 for a toy, I'd find a low mileage 997.2 GT3 for sure. That is the car that will hold it's value best.

Doesn't matter for Ethel though as he will never sell. I'm sure there are other 997 GT3 owners that feel the same way now simply because the PDK only 991's and forward.

I voted the first option as well. //
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will buy an older MT car and have more fun

Quick Reply: Poll: would MT lovers still buy the new GT3?