Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Magazine Supercar Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get a box of Snickers, you may be waiting a while.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know. I'm currently told a delivery in July. I'm fine with September, but after that, it gets stored for winter.

We are getting snow tomorrow. Our falls are pretty short here.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review and I was pleased to see it do so well, but the true believers won't be swayed. More cars for the rest of us.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
sounds like the 997.2 gt3 would have also won the comparison
good point..

No doubt the 991 Gt3 offers probably the best performance per buck spent...but what Im really suprised: on a average the ford fiesta gets better scores then the aventador...and this in a supercar comparison?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM
markow
Racer

those tests are absolute bs. i am totally convinced that the GT3 is a wonderful car but what can i learn from those comparisons? a bunch of guys getting together, driving a rather random sample of cars, chatting it through over beers and voting. but voting on what? from the small AMG (forgot what it is called) to the F12, what kind of sample is this? price factors in so that the GT3 trumps the F12...ok, but if price really factors in then the AMG might beat them all, no? or maybe the cayman?
anyway, the GT3 will be epic, but still i'd like to see a fair comparison (with price no issue) between it and the F458. data and driving feel, road and track please. then i will have learned something new, if expertly done.
again, congrats to those who have ordered, peter (a bit envious)
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markow
those tests are absolute bs. i am totally convinced that the GT3 is a wonderful car but what can i learn from those comparisons? a bunch of guys getting together, driving a rather random sample of cars, chatting it through over beers and voting. but voting on what? from the small AMG (forgot what it is called) to the F12, what kind of sample is this? price factors in so that the GT3 trumps the F12...ok, but if price really factors in then the AMG might beat them all, no? or maybe the cayman?
anyway, the GT3 will be epic, but still i'd like to see a fair comparison (with price no issue) between it and the F458. data and driving feel, road and track please. then i will have learned something new, if expertly done.
Hi Markow,

I couldnt agree more. Your 458 is stil a very nice car..and so far there has been no comparison between a 458 and 991 GT3 for example. I will try to get a test drive in the 458 in the next days..when I have some more time. No matter how you put it - a Ferrari is a Ferrari and not a Porsche. As much as Im a Porsche 997 GT3 -GT2 fan..a 430 scuderia is something else then a 997.2 GT3..or 997.2GT3 RS etc. - because its a Ferrari.

Congrats on your 458 and just wait and see what will happen. There is no need to be the first one in ordering a car..at least this is my feeling.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by markow
Markow, your 458 keeps losing out - this isn't an anomaly we are talking about, it's very consistently the result of the comparos we've been seeing. Just face facts, consensus is that your car is for poseurs who want to put-put down the boulevard in a misguided attempt at impressing girls. The GT3, on the other hand, is consistently winning its comparison tests. And, of course, in the real world it's going to be over-represented at DE days and under-represented on the boulevard, which is another stream of evidence pointing to the same conclusion.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Markow, your 458 keeps losing out - this isn't an anomaly we are talking about, it's very consistently the result of the comparos we've been seeing. Just face facts, consensus is that your car is for poseurs who want to put-put down the boulevard in a misguided attempt at impressing girls. The GT3, on the other hand, is consistently winning its comparison tests. And, of course, in the real world it's going to be over-represented at DE days and under-represented on the boulevard, which is another stream of evidence pointing to the same conclusion.

Here we go...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Hope your being sarcastic. A few things to keep in mind.

The 458 is over three years old and may be one reason why it was not included in the test. Also, they were trying to compare sport cars not GT cars though how the F12 slipped into the mix is puzzling to me. Finally, the article went out of its way to emphasis that the GT3 is a track car made more compliant for DD. The 458 is not a track car though its performance is at track car level albeit not at the GT3 level.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM
markow
Racer

sorry, where did the 458 loose out against the GT3? i know of no test 'GT3 against
F458'. you might want to read the tests more carefully.
cheers from a poseur
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus

Here we go...
love it!!

Why is the Mercedes there?
Why are yall bitching about the missing 458? We know the comp b/w the gt3 and the 458 especiale is forthcoming.
"Now yall ain't got no problem, I'm on the motherf@#$! . Go back in there and chill them out and wait for the Wolf who should be coming directly."
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Hi Markow,

I couldnt agree more. Your 458 is stil a very nice car..and so far there has been no comparison between a 458 and 991 GT3 for example. I will try to get a test drive in the 458 in the next days..when I have some more time. No matter how you put it - a Ferrari is a Ferrari and not a Porsche. As much as Im a Porsche 997 GT3 -GT2 fan..a 430 scuderia is something else then a 997.2 GT3..or 997.2GT3 RS etc. - because its a Ferrari.

Congrats on your 458 and just wait and see what will happen. There is no need to be the first one in ordering a car..at least this is my feeling.
thanks and enjoy the test-drive. the 458 is a great car, with heavenly sound and the best turn in i have ever experienced (one feature where the F12 falls short....with the heavy engine up front it is a miracle that it turns in at all---)))
peter
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Markow,...Just face facts, consensus is that your car is for poseurs who want to put-put down the boulevard in a misguided attempt at impressing girls. ...
with all respect but - when you talk about consensus - who do you mean?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
love it!!

Why is the Mercedes there?
Why are yall bitching about the missing 458? We know the comp b/w the gt3 and the 458 especiale is forthcoming.
"Now yall ain't got no problem, I'm on the motherf@#$! . Go back in there and chill them out and wait for the Wolf who should be coming directly."
Thanks. That little guy is cool aint' he?

The Mercedes was there because, on paper, it would have been the best DD/performance hot-hatch alternative. Only, it turned out to be not so cheap, and apparently not so great in a few other areas. Surprising. I imagine there will be a few tuners getting 5-600bhp out of those motors easy - and yet they'll end up spending as much as a CLS63 when all is said & done.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

It would have been news if the GT3 hadn't won that comparison, so no surprise there. But I was most impressed that 2 of the 8 picked the Cayman over the GT3! It will be a shame if the factory never develops that car to its full potential.

Quick Reply: Car Magazine Supercar Shootout