Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 as a daily driver vs. turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts
Default GT3 as a daily driver vs. turbo?

Hello all. Just as the title suggests...wondering if any other of the guys are thinking like I am about the 991 GT3 as a daily driver vs. 991 TT.

I had a 996 GT3 - which I loved...but eventually sold because of lack of garage space room and use after partial 3rd year of ownership. As most of you know, the thing is/ was no treat to drive to and from the track.

I want to do two or three club events a year AND I won't drive my 993TT 'museum' piece on the track...and now carefully considering a 991. I would have bought a TT stick if it were offered (despite the brilliance of the PDK system) but had it on my 997TT cab and found the car uninspiring to drive. Purchase of my 993TT solved that - but heck I like the new car.

In the end - I would drive about 8,000KM a year (+- 5400 miles) which is a couple of days to work a week, plus weekends ......and track 2 times a year...so the opinion requested is.. a) is the GT3 civil enough for this duty? - or should I just suck up and pop the extra 30G's or so to a TT and run it around the track twice a year?...or even alternatively again, our area track has an excellent stable of Mustang track cars completely prepped for lapping days and DE. At least with the TT I will get a little quieter ride, sunroof that sort of thing.

I change my mind daily anyway because some days I feel like driving a beast- and some times I want to drive a GT car - simply talk on my phone, go out for dinner with my wife or drive to a family wedding. This over 50 stuff is killing me. Any body else pondering over the same 'first world' problem?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is Seattle I would not think twice and go with GT3. We do not get snow often. If I was up there a TT or TTS would be my pick to be able to get more days in the car. BTW: nice car :-)
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Strictly speaking, I think the GT3 could be used as a daily driver although the TT would probably be quieter and more comfortable, not to mention more flexible to use in bad weather with AWD and full treaded tires. It really comes down to which car has more overall appeal to you.

Personally though, given all the things I require of a daily driver, not least of which is the ability to park it anywhere without major anxiety, I always have other cars besides my sports car for that purpose.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the GT3. If the weather is crap or you want to go for a nice dinner, use the Cayenne. Done.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Hello all. Just as the title suggests...wondering if any other of the guys are thinking like I am about the 991 GT3 as a daily driver vs. 991 TT.

I had a 996 GT3 - which I loved...but eventually sold because of lack of garage space room and use after partial 3rd year of ownership. As most of you know, the thing is/ was no treat to drive to and from the track.

I want to do two or three club events a year AND I won't drive my 993TT 'museum' piece on the track...and now carefully considering a 991. I would have bought a TT stick if it were offered (despite the brilliance of the PDK system) but had it on my 997TT cab and found the car uninspiring to drive. Purchase of my 993TT solved that - but heck I like the new car.

In the end - I would drive about 8,000KM a year (+- 5400 miles) which is a couple of days to work a week, plus weekends ......and track 2 times a year...so the opinion requested is.. a) is the GT3 civil enough for this duty? - or should I just suck up and pop the extra 30G's or so to a TT and run it around the track twice a year?...or even alternatively again, our area track has an excellent stable of Mustang track cars completely prepped for lapping days and DE. At least with the TT I will get a little quieter ride, sunroof that sort of thing.

I change my mind daily anyway because some days I feel like driving a beast- and some times I want to drive a GT car - simply talk on my phone, go out for dinner with my wife or drive to a family wedding. This over 50 stuff is killing me. Any body else pondering over the same 'first world' problem?
i had the same problem and decided against the GT3 mainly because of the cup tyres and lack of a rear view camera. in the end this is why i spent more and bought an F458. the turbo was never on the table for me: ugly duckling, low revving engine, poor sound....
i decided a few weeks before the reviews came out, from today's viewpoint i'd go with the GT3, no doubt. and i am saying this inspite of my love for the F458.
peter
Old 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been lurking here and reading over all the information I can find in service of exactly this question. I saw at least one comment that it's not "normal" to cross-shop the TT and GT3...seeing your post...well I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this question.

I suppose the other worry in this is that GT3 allocations seem like they are going to be proverbial hen's teeth rare and TT allocations might in fact be easier to come by. I'm in the Seattle area and not on a waiting list for either at the moment...based on what I read hereabouts it sounds like actually getting a GT3 of MY'14 and perhaps even MY'15 could be nigh on impossible (824 vehicles coming to the US in calendar '14 total...and how many p-car dealers with long waiting lists already?? Sigh...). I guess I'll start by asking the Seattle/Portland shops about GT3 allocations but I'm fully expecting them to laugh at my inquiry (I don't even have any kind of existing relationship to leverage with them, well nothing short of actually having cash in my pocket which might encourage them I guess ).

I guess what I'm wondering is if availability might in fact be the knife edge for folks like us on the bubble between the two choices. Most definitely a first world problem!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gt3 all the way.

the TT is a fat pig w/ even more bling.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Toronto and wouldn't dream of getting a TT - however practical in our climate, they are soulless machines AND, in this gen, slower around a track!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not pay attention to your stable.. GT3 100% I have a TT pepper and the traction in the snow with the right tires is unreal!!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by kosmo
gt3 all the way.

the TT is a fat pig w/ even more bling.
Well the TT will always be a much better DD, that being said, the GT3 was always a 'raw' experience, now they are basically the same gizmos wise with torque vectoring and other idiot proof stuff.

Get the one that has big ***** and versatile
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

GT3 has never been a better DD then the 991 today.

Unless you need back seats for kids or all wheel drive for snow, do yourself a favour and get the GT3.

9000 rpm
Both paddles pulled back give you neutral.

Hell yeah, GT3.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Hard to argue with torque advantage of turbo. Well driven turbo will be faster than GT3.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hard to argue with torque advantage of turbo. Well driven turbo will be faster than GT3.
Don't be too sure of that one. 991 Gt3 currently outpaces both the 991 turbo and the turbo S on the ring. I imagine all three were well driven.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Chris Harris' view on the 991 Turbo S....

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...?c=105&i=28588
Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I change my mind daily anyway because some days I feel like driving a beast- and some times I want to drive a GT car
Sounds like you just described the Turbo or Turbo S - an awesome GT car that can also be a beast. And with no worry about scraping the nose on ramps, etc. Sounds like it would best fit your needs.

Although the 991 GT3 was designed from the ground up to be a better street car. . .

Also, with the current Porsche pricing, you are getting into Audi R8 territory. It's an exotic that's a great DD as well - if you can deal with all the attention it draws! Sometimes I wish it was as invisible as a Porsche is around here. It's got AWD for the Great White North, and it may be the last of the 6-speed supercars if rowing your own is important.

Quick Reply: GT3 as a daily driver vs. turbo?