Sponsored by:

Not bad...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
No way: you think Porsche considers ROI?
How silly of me....
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Since the 991 GT3 is PDK-only and arguably isn't as pure a track car as the 997 GT3, I'm indeed cross-shopping it with the M3/M4. My guess is that the M3/M4 will be plenty fast on the track, the weight isn't too much more than the GT3, it has a real back seat and trunk, and will cost roughly half of the GT3. Key question for me is whether the M3/M4 will truly stand up to serious track use, but that applies to the GT3 also.
I think a reasonably optioned M4 will cost closer to 2/3rd that of a GT3.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I don't see an M3/M4 going for $90K, unless you tick every box BMW will offer.

My very well optioned launch E92 was less than $68k. That would be a 132% increase.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, it would be a 32% increase...

But I agree with you--I think it may reach into the mid to high $80s and even $90...but only if you get it with DCT, the optional carbon ceramics, etc., etc.

My feeling is that M is going the way of AMG--and will offer a Competition Package (like on the M5) pretty early on for the M3/4. This is like AMG's Performance Package--different tuning, etc. for more power, and charge $5-8K for it (and the accompanying factory warranty).
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
Originally Posted by 0Q991
Oops! Can't seem to translate from Excel to the board, lol. It's been a longgg day.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a well optioned 2012 M3 Competition Package coupe and it had a $77,500 window sticker.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
I just had a well optioned 2012 M3 Competition Package coupe and it had a $77,500 window sticker.
Jeesus.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991

But I agree with you--I think it may reach into the mid to high $80s and even $90...but only if you get it with DCT, the optional carbon ceramics, etc., etc.

My feeling is that M is going the way of AMG--and will offer a Competition Package (like on the M5) pretty early on for the M3/4. This is like AMG's Performance Package--different tuning, etc. for more power, and charge $5-8K for it (and the accompanying factory warranty).
90k is certainly within sight... The latest C63s with all the go-fast options are in the $90s.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

So 85k or 90k for this rig. So a lot cheaper than a new GT3 to be sure. But such totally different cars after owning a string of M3s and GT3s.

I guess if you are on a budget, need the utility, are willing to trust a new turbo motor from BMW on track (can you say heat soak?) and think that BMW for the first time ever will have built a reasonably proper braking system for the track, then go for it.

But in my experience, just like with Cayman owners, brakes, cooling, software and perhaps suspension will be required to get it to track duty. And by the time you do those things you will seriously f up its qualities on street based on my experience with street cars partially converted for track usage.

But at least you can get a MT.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Everything about this car sounds great (manual, lighter, etc.), except for the engine. Every 1M coupe vs. E92 M3 comparison was a preview of what you can expect. Fast as hell, but soul-less as far as the engine is concerned. A turbo is a turbo. Even BMW's wizards can't change that. How power is delivered is also part of the equation, and the power charts show you what to expect.

F80/3 chassis + S65 = awesome

Maybe BMW is saving the M3 coupe badge for something special with NA power. That's my pipe dream.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Everything about this car sounds great (manual, lighter, etc.), except for the engine. Every 1M coupe vs. E92 M3 comparison was a preview of what you can expect. Fast as hell, but soul-less as far as the engine is concerned. A turbo is a turbo. Even BMW's wizards can't change that. How power is delivered is also part of the equation, and the power charts show you what to expect.

F80/3 chassis + S65 = awesome

Maybe BMW is saving the M3 coupe badge for something special with NA power. That's my pipe dream.
They do have a solution. Play preprogrammed induction/engine/exhaust sounds through the speakers, just like the M5. I would never have guessed that Germans, and particularly BMW M, would resort to such a cheesy tactics.

As for hard, 30 minute track sessions, heat soak will definitely be an issue.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
As for hard, 30 minute track sessions, heat soak will definitely be an issue.
Probably to likely. But I bet it's wheels won't fall off, or jettison coolant fittings.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

modern bimmers go into limp mode.
doesn't matter if you're leaking coolant or not, being limp is a total killjoy
Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

regarding heatsoak... if you read the specs they specifically mention track endurance... they have a special type of additional intercooler above the engine to compress cold air, as well as coolers to cool down the turbos. from the initial literature, it looks like they've also been sensitive to past criticism of the brakes fading... not sure where I found the whole piece, but it's worth pouring over the details... I think BMW are serious about the m4 being a serious car. oh, and did I mention the solid attachment of the rear end... no bushings?... that's SERIOUS ;-D

if I can't get the gt3 into my garage because of ground clearance.. I'll default to a well-optioned M4. I would cry of course... but I can't park a gt3 in the street can I?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
regarding heatsoak... if you read the specs they specifically mention track endurance... they have a special type of additional intercooler above the engine to compress cold air, as well as coolers to cool down the turbos. from the initial literature, it looks like they've also been sensitive to past criticism of the brakes fading... not sure where I found the whole piece, but it's worth pouring over the details... I think BMW are serious about the m4 being a serious car. oh, and did I mention the solid attachment of the rear end... no bushings?... that's SERIOUS ;-D

if I can't get the gt3 into my garage because of ground clearance.. I'll default to a well-optioned M4. I would cry of course... but I can't park a gt3 in the street can I?
I have a naturally aspirated M3 (e90), and it limps! Any time it's over 65F outside, I have to cut sessions short or do multiple cool-down laps in the middle or deal with reduced redline. And I thoroughly wash the radiators 2-3 times a season and use some other tricks to improve cooling. On my last trip to Watkins Glen, when I looked at datalogs I saw that the engine power (acceleration) started to go down even before the tires reached maximum grip (cornering Gs) - this is frustrating... It was in mid 90s, though. Anyway, based on other turboed BMWs, I do not expect turbo engine to be better than the outgoing NA one in terms of heat management, and that one was already stretching it. I am sure the car will be great for DD and spirited driving, but for track work I would not make this bet.

I am also anxious about how GT3 will make it up my crazy driveway here in Berkeley Hills. If it does not, I'll have a very interesting conversation with the owner of the house I rent, but I am optimistic about my negotiating skills.

Quick Reply: Not bad...